• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The OG wants to put a cast iron pot on top of our wood stove but doesn't want to scratch off the finish. She asked me if that could happen and I don't know. What say you INGO? Will setting a iron skillet, dutch oven, etc on top of the wood stove mar the finish?

getimage.php

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    What is the finish? Enamel?

Enamel doesn't scratch easy, unless sand is present, but it does chip.

Again, don't know. The material is cast iron, so I would say it is not Enamel. Probably more like high temp stove black paint. Nothing fancy. That makes me think it may scratch.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    You could always put a cast iron trivet on top and cook from that. Just be careful not to slide it around while maneuvering the pan/pot.

As long as you pick straight up/down you shouldn't be in much danger of scratching it...but if you stir aggressively you might.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    That looks like cast iron stove or like you said stove paint. Cast iron on cast iron the weaker of the two shall scratch or both.

I have seen a granite block used on an old stove before. Looked like that block had been with that stove for years. The block looked very used and they had nice iron skillets on it while I was there. That stove was original to the house and that house was built in 1919. I would say that block was as old.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You could always put a cast iron trivet on top and cook from that. Just be careful not to slide it around while maneuvering the pan/pot.

As long as you pick straight up/down you shouldn't be in much danger of scratching it...but if you stir aggressively you might.

Agreed.

That looks like cast iron stove or like you said stove paint. Cast iron on cast iron the weaker of the two shall scratch or both.

I have seen a granite block used on an old stove before. Looked like that block had been with that stove for years. The block looked very used and they had nice iron skillets on it while I was there. That stove was original to the house and that house was built in 1919. I would say that block was as old.

Good info. I wonder if putting a pizza stone on the stove and the dutch oven on that would do it.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I would get a restaurant quality stone like a fibrament stone. The ones like Pampered Chef sells break pretty easily when used with hot temps.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Have you tried calling the manufacturer to ask? My grandparents do a kettle on theirs without and issue but not cooking in pans or anything.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We use a cast iron tea pot looking thing to put water in as a humidifier. It does work but it will discolor the stove depending on the finish. Ours is stove paint.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Fresh can of stove black in the spring, good as new. Did you buy it to use? Or buy it to look at?
    Like any tool, it will show scars from honest use. Anything you use to cook on is gonna get greasy eventually. Concerned it might actually (gasp) show some use, use the kitchen range to cook on. If you need it in an emergency, how it ends up looking is not going to be a concern..

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    We have one of these:
    4046525_orig.jpg

And my wife cooks on it all the time. In fact, right now she has one covered cast iron skillet with meat on the lower (hotter) surface, and another covered cast iron skillet on the higher (cooler) surface with acorn squash. Both skillets are sitting on cast iron trivets, so they're not right on the surface, but we sometimes have the skillet or a big soup pot right on the surface. Our stove is five years old, and I see no real excessive marring of the surface from cooking. But, as Patience says, we bought it to use, so we use it.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Stove polish is amazing stuff. We bought a Vermont Castings stove that was in some guys garage covered in rust. Hubby took a wire wheel to it and removed all of the rust and then applied a coat of stove black and put in new gaskets and it looks and works like new. We've been using it for almost 20 years and it looks great.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I remember cooking and boiling water for coffee on the wood stove when the electricity was out, stove polish took care of any marks left over.

Top Bottom