• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Okay, so here's another mental exercise.

You have elderly relatives living in Puerto Rico, in the countryside. You've been there several times and are familiar with the area. Maybe you came from there, maybe they are your parents and are retired living there. Its a poor, rural area in the mountains. It was devastated by hurricane Maria. Their home was lightly damaged: missing a bit of roof, some windows blow out, shutters torn off, shed is gone. Their small car starts and has a bit of gas, but it is not drivable. (tree). The biggest concerns are that they have no power, and no clean water, and very little food. They cant get into town for more. One of them takes meds for high blood pressure and glaucoma. They have some hand tools, and a couple garden tools. They have a few buckets for water. They have a small dog. They do not have guns. The neighbors are friendly but stretched thin.

Comms has been sketchy. Just a few short texts (70% of the towers are down) saying "its bad, don't come here".

You decide to get on a plane and fly to them to help. You get a ticket with a return flight for 3 days. You manage to score a small SUV for a rental. Their home is 35 mile away from the airport.

Here's your challenge.

What will you bring for you for 3 days of austere living as well as ANYTHING you can think of to make your people's lives better until some order and power is restored. You have a carry on and a checked bag with a 50 pound limit. Money is not much of an issue. They are loved ones, so you'll spend a couple grand if need be.

My initial thoughts are water purification, solar powered lights and chargers, headlamps, compact dried food, some medical (Rx if possible), lightweight repair materials-tyvex and clear plastic, fasteners, duct tape, survival gear, and personal kit.

Go.

puerto-rico5.jpg

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Antibiotics. Some tylenol. A couple of basic first aid kits with suture kits. A couple of Mpower LUCI lanterns, Sawyer water purifiers, veggie seeds, a few firestarters, some coffee and sugar for morale. Candy. Soap.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Return trip plan tickets for all 3 of us, and the dog.

If a rental car can make it there, then we can make it back to the airport and "home". I'll take them back to PR, again on my dime, once the area is stabilized.

So, water, food, Rx, first-aid, and some niceties. Enough to get there and back in a few days. Duct tape and rope, if I think they will resist.

I have family, friends, and co-workers in the USVI and PR. Those of "means" in the heavily damaged areas left for the mainland as soon as they could. Those in much less damaged areas are toughing it out.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Return trip plan tickets for all 3 of us, and the dog.

If a rental car can make it there, then we can make it back to the airport and "home". I'll take them back to PR, again on my dime, once the area is stabilized.

So, water, food, Rx, first-aid, and some niceties. Enough to get there and back in a few days. Duct tape and rope, if I think they will resist.

I have family, friends, and co-workers in the USVI and PR. Those of "means" in the heavily damaged areas left for the mainland as soon as they could. Those in much less damaged areas are toughing it out.
    You sir have won the Internet. Well done!!

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My assumptions are that being older folk, and proud, they will not want to leave.

My short list:
    Personal kit: 4 days of socks and undies, 3 T shirts, 3 shorts jeans, hygiene kit, small 1st aid kit with extra tummy meds, tropical antibiotics etc. Blow out kit. hat, gloves, eye drops, dust masks, nitrile gloves, eye and ear pro. Pocket survival kit, (no sharps), 550 cord, headlamp, phone charger, solar charger, 6 chemlights, cliff bars, instant coffee, vitamins. This would all be on my carry on.

In the checked bag: 3 solar lights, solar charger, MSR water filter, 50 water treatment tabs, 4 Nalgene bottles, 5 lbs mixed rice and beans, 2 lb seasoning and condensed dry soup mixes, 1 lb whey powder, beef jerky, dried veggies/mtn house, multivitamins, life boat rations, chocolate, coffee and filter, 24 chemlights, extra medical, Rx scrips, muti tool, duct tape, tyvex, clear plastic, small quantity of deck screws and nails. SW radio -gyro, inverter to run from broken car, 2 extra headlamps w/ extra batteries.

The list is not inclusive. Just some thoughts.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A power generator. I had a friend fly to PR, specifically to give his family one (she took a video as she was packing). Apparently, they are a "name your price" item. Think of all the reasons why one would be beneficial: charging computers/phones, power to fans and refrigerators (keeping home cool and food extending the life of food), jump start a car,

Top Bottom