What do you take on vacation when you fly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    If you and the family fly to, say, Florida, what do you take just in case? (Please, no "I wouldn't fly" remarks. That's not the point of the post.) My main objective would be maximizing our chances of getting home as quickly as possible.

My short list to start:
    Cash
    Lifestraw
    Multitool (e.g. Leatherman Juice)
    Small pepper spray
    Small flashlight
    Map of the area

What else?

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I would also add a small phone book with important info wrote down(and which to write). Phones get lost. Can you take the pepper spray on a plane?......and some MORE cash.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Small first aid (booboo) kit.
    food/snacks (energy bar type stuff)

Now that I think about it, my laptop bag is mostly a stripped down, more compact version of my go-bag. No real weapons, other than the tacti-cool flashlight and a pen. No real fire starter (wonder if a magnesium rod would pass TSA?). But, it does have a LITTLE of a lot of things. Makes it a little heavy, when you add in the laptop, charger, and all of the other work-related junk.

I just had a thought, too. I only do carry-on when I fly. Rarely out of town long enough to NEED a large checked bag. Pros and cons: less over all room, but much more portable.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

CASH!!! It is amazing how many problems you can solve with a $50 bill or two. A ride from somebody, a tip to get that last room in the sold out hotel, a meal for the family...

For on the plane and in the airport

Just like always... Shelter, Food, Water (don't worry about Fire, the jet fuel will create plenty when the plane crashes).

In addition to your change of clothes, blanket or coat to keep you warm, wool watch cap is always a great way to add warmth or cover nasty hair. A poncho is a nice way to add some privacy just using it to cover up while napping or resting, use as a groundcloth on a dirty airport floor. Heck, you can stand in the middle of a crowd and wear your poncho while changing your pants and underwear.

Have some snacks, particularly something like a few Clif bars that you can almost make a meal out of. Some cash to buy food is good too.

Of course water. Just take an empty container through security and fill it up once you are through.

Something to pass the time like a real book that does not need power and won't cause the plane to crash if you read it during takeoff with the bonus feature of serving as toilet paper. A flashlight so you can find your way around unfamiliar places or find something you dropped on the floor. Some sanitary wipes to wipe down those nasty surfaces. A charger for your phone as
    you try to rebook your flights, preferably with an extension cord with multiple outlets to share the same outlet (with the person that got there first).

Hygene. In addition to the sanitary wipes for nasty stuff, a few paper towels for wiping up messes, some TP as that always seems to disappear when hoards of people are stranded. Soap, a wash cloth and small hand towel for a whore's bath in the sink. Prescription medicines as well as Imodium and Advil.

A shopping lists for things to buy once the plane lands for all those No No items you could not carry on or pack in your checked bag. Hit a convenience store and buy a knife, lighter, local map, restock your food supplies... Just leave the knife and naughty stuff behind or mail home if you overpaid for cheap knife.

Search the travel websites for the stuff the sheeple recommend packing for airline travel too.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Small first aid (booboo) kit.
    food/snacks (energy bar type stuff)

Now that I think about it, my laptop bag is mostly a stripped down, more compact version of my go-bag. No real weapons, other than the tacti-cool flashlight and a pen. No real fire starter (wonder if a magnesium rod would pass TSA?). But, it does have a LITTLE of a lot of things. Makes it a little heavy, when you add in the laptop, charger, and all of the other work-related junk.

I just had a thought, too. I only do carry-on when I fly. Rarely out of town long enough to NEED a large checked bag. Pros and cons: less over all room, but much more portable.

9 volt battery and some steel wool should pass TSA without any issues. Great fire starter there.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you and the family fly to, say, Florida, what do you take just in case? (Please, no "I wouldn't fly" remarks. That's not the point of the post.) My main objective would be maximizing our chances of getting home as quickly as possible.

My short list to start:
    Cash
    Lifestraw
    Multitool (e.g. Leatherman Juice)
    Small pepper spray
    Small flashlight
    Map of the area

What else?

I'd add:

Whistle
    External battery for your mobile phone
    Flashlight that is USB rechargeable like a Nitecore TIP
    Small roll of Gorilla tape and some cordage
    Israeli Battle Dressing (IBD) and tourniquet
    Stainless steel writing pen (Zebra)
    Chapstick or Carmex in tube
    Bandana
    Keychain size pry bar

Jordan_J

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Muncie
    Depends on where I am flying to. Am I going to the beach/Disney or am I going on a fishing and camping trip deep in the woods? I prefer to carry practical stuff on me that I may actually use. If I am going to Disney and staying at a resort there I doubt I will get lost in the Magic Kingdom and need to start a fire to survive.

I like to pack light though so if I bring a carry-on only I won't have much but if I check a bag I may pack a gun and I will bring a knife, multi-too. I usually always carry some cash outside of my wallet. My smart phone has plenty of stuff on there to replace the need for a credit card, flashlight or map in a pinch but if I going camping where my phone may die or get dropped in a river/lake I will likely carry a flashlight to save battery life or paper map. I carry a small first-aid kit a lot of places because it's in my messenger bag but it's just a bare bones kit.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    I travel quite a bit for work both via car and planes. When I fly I always have my briefcase on the plane and always check my bag even if it’s carry on size. In my briefcase I always the following:

Goal Zero USB charger
    SureFire E2D Flashlight
    Travel First Aid Kit w/band aids, cleaning pads, sunscreen, burn ointment, Tylenol, Pepto, etc.
    Hand sanitizer
    Wet Wipes (gotta wipe that tray and chair down)
    Gaffer tape
    Chapstick
    Water Bottle
    Energy Bar and Bag of Nuts
    Laptop, IPad, Phone and related chargers.
    Books and maps of areas I travel are on phone and tablet
    Car, house, and lockbox keys with prybar / screwdriver tool and SureFire sidekick
    Tide Pen
    Carabiner
    Encrypted USB Jumpdrive
    Cash

In my checked luggage I sometimes carry either a Sig P238 or 250, with 1 extra mag and ammo depending on my destination or even connection location of course. I always pack my Leatherman MUT or just the Skeletool if I’m only wearing slacks. I also usually have a lighter, pocket knife and additional first aid items in my toiletry bag along with scissors. I always pack a small gear bag with backup charging cables, headlamp, superglue, Velcro ties, zip ties, bit set for the Leatherman and various other work related items. When traveling in colder climates during winter I will throw in another small Pelican case with an ice scraper, hand warmers, water packet, ration bar, etc. Also during winter always have gloves and a hat.

Oh, and a doorstop for the hotel door. That is a freaking must.

Reading this it seems like a lot, but all of the items are pretty compact. Over years of this type of travel I’ve built the list based on what I’ve used, needed or wished I had. What am I missing?

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    Here is a cheap stainless steel two-pack. You can get all kinds of designs and materials lile titanium alloys that cost a lot more.

Yosoo 2pcs EDC Gear Mini 3" Stainless Steel Crank Crowbar Pocket Pry Bar Keychain Keyring Multi Tool Survival Scraper Opener

I have one like this and it’s come in handy from to time. I also have the following from NiteIze

[FONT=&amp]Nite Ize DoohicKey Key Tool Keychain Multi-Tool[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]by Nite Ize [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Link:[/FONT][FONT=&amp] http://a.co/6aA59Ij

Peter Atwood [/FONT]
    Planet Pocket Tool: July 2017 makes some really cool pocket tools worth checking out.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    What do you use for jump drive encryption? I am thinking of doing this. Also if there are instructions, that is helpful too. I am looking into the Tails OS that is bootable from a jump drive on a PC so that it can be a bit safer to use all of that.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Flew to DC a couple of weeks ago.

Trauma kit
    Folding knife
    Large Fixed Blade (Becker BK2)
    Fire kit
    Duck tape
    para cord
    Multi-tool
    Comfortable clothes
    jacket
    hiking shoes
    USB charging batteries
    USB charging flash light
    Zebra Metal Pen

I would have liked to have taken more, but you can only take so much when flying.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    When I fly on vacation I always take something good to read. Something good to eat. Something that can become an offensive as well as defensive tool.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    What do you use for jump drive encryption? I am thinking of doing this. Also if there are instructions, that is helpful too. I am looking into the Tails OS that is bootable from a jump drive on a PC so that it can be a bit safer to use all of that.

I have something like this...

[FONT=&amp]Kingston Digital Data Traveler AES Encrypted Vault Privacy 256Bit 3.0 USB Flash Drive[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]by Kingston [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Link:[/FONT][FONT=&amp] http://a.co/cPLN1DW

[/FONT]

I'll have to look into that Tail OS; at first glance that looks interesting.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Flew to DC a couple of weeks ago.

Trauma kit
    Folding knife
    Large Fixed Blade (Becker BK2)
    Fire kit
    Duck tape
    para cord
    Multi-tool
    Comfortable clothes
    jacket
    hiking shoes
    USB charging batteries
    USB charging flash light
    Zebra Metal Pen

I would have liked to have taken more, but you can only take so much when flying.

Ah! Unless you're on a private plan, you must be talking about stuff you checked at the counter.

I was thinking stuff you could carry onto the plan with you. If it's stuff you can check, then the door is much, much wider.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    A parachute.

Since you brought up the idea of a parachute I must caution you to not get it mixed up with your Bug Out Bag.

Hillary Clinton, the Pope, Barack Obama and a boy scout are all on a plane and the plane is crashing! There are three parachutes that the four can use, but each parachute can only carry one person.

"As the leader of the free world, I'm afraid I must insist that I take a parachute. All of America depends on me!", says Barack Obama, and he is given a parachute.

After he jumps, Hillary Clinton goes next. "I am the most gifted and most intelligent woman in all of creation and I am America's future president, so I DEMAND a parachute!". The boy sighs and hands her it, and she jumps out of the window.

Finally, only the Pope and the boy scout are left.

"My child, I have already lived a long and gifted life, and I am ready to join the Lord in Heaven, so take the parachute.", the Pope says.

"You take one.", says the boy.

"No, you do not understand. I am not long for this earth anyway and am ready to sacrifice my elderly self for you so you can live out your life.", says the Pope.

"No, really, you take a parachute!", says the boy scout.

"Son, we don't have much time! There is only one parachute left and you must take it.", says the Pope.

"No, we have two parachutes! I gave that ***** my backpack!"

Wonder if the joke changes now that the Boy Scout might be a girl?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have something like this...

[FONT=&amp]Kingston Digital Data Traveler AES Encrypted Vault Privacy 256Bit 3.0 USB Flash Drive[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]by Kingston [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Link:[/FONT][FONT=&amp] http://a.co/cPLN1DW

[/FONT]

I'll have to look into that Tail OS; at first glance that looks interesting.

Nice flash drive. I've been using pendrivelinux to create an entire Linux OS.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom