• ...and so much more!
  • Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I would appreciate if someone could answer a couple of questions for me concerning FRS/GMRS radios.

I have a couple of the cheapy Cobras, that operate on FRS and the higher Channels on GRMS. In the past I understood to use GRMS channels you had to have the appropriate FCC license. From what I understand the FRS channels ran almost .5 watt while the GRMS channels ran almost 2 watts.

It appears that the FCC has now changed this and you can run all of these channels without a license as long as they are under 2 watts.

So my first question; Is the above statement true? I can now run the radio on all channels without a license?

Also I have seen some handheld radios that are GMRS that run 4-5 watts.

Second question; If I decide to pick up a couple of the above radios (4-5 watts), my wife and I would need to get the FCC license? (I assume YES here).

Third Question; With the FCC GRMS license is there an upper limit of how many watts?

I have searched around and I think I have it figured out, but would appreciate any confirmation.

Thanks,

Ron

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Thank you for the link. From the same FCC site this is the part that I am not sure about. Discussing my "cheapy" cobra's that are dual service frs/gmrs it appears now that I don't need a license to operate these radios on the gmrs frequencies. (my radios do not contain any of the verboten gmrs frequencies) .

Keep in mind I could be totally misreading this.

Below is the snippet that, at least to me, says you do not need a license to operate the above radios using the included gmrs requencies since the rule change:

GMRS FRS Dual-service radios
    Some manufacturers received approval to market radios that were certified under both FRS and GMRS, which allowed users to use one device to operate on FRS channels, which does not require a license, and GMRS, which requires an FCC license. In 2017, the FCC changed its rules to stop equipment authorization of FRS dual-service radios and it changed the rules for both FRS and GMRS such that existing radios would be reclassified as either FRS or GMRS to remove the confusion of whether a license was needed for legal operation.
    Specifically, if you have a radio that was sold as a dual-service FRS/GMRS radio and it is limited to the channels and power limits provided under the “Data” tab on this page, then that device can be operated as an FRS device without a licensing requirement. However, if the device exceeds the limits under the “Data” tab or includes any of the following channels (467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6250, 467.6500, 467.6750, 467.7000, and 467.7250 MHz), then it is a GMRS device and an individual FCC license is needed to operate the device other than on the channels and with the bandwidth and power limits shown under the “Data” tab.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Thank you for the link. From the same FCC site this is the part that I am not sure about. Discussing my "cheapy" cobra's that are dual service frs/gmrs it appears now that I don't need a license to operate these radios on the gmrs frequencies. (my radios do not contain any of the verboten gmrs frequencies) .

Keep in mind I could be totally misreading this.

Below is the snippet that, at least to me, says you do not need a license to operate the above radios using the included gmrs requencies since the rule change:

GMRS FRS Dual-service radios
    Some manufacturers received approval to market radios that were certified under both FRS and GMRS, which allowed users to use one device to operate on FRS channels, which does not require a license, and GMRS, which requires an FCC license. In 2017, the FCC changed its rules to stop equipment authorization of FRS dual-service radios and it changed the rules for both FRS and GMRS such that existing radios would be reclassified as either FRS or GMRS to remove the confusion of whether a license was needed for legal operation.
    Specifically, if you have a radio that was sold as a dual-service FRS/GMRS radio and it is limited to the channels and power limits provided under the “Data” tab on this page, then that device can be operated as an FRS device without a licensing requirement. However, if the device exceeds the limits under the “Data” tab or includes any of the following channels (467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6250, 467.6500, 467.6750, 467.7000, and 467.7250 MHz), then it is a GMRS device and an individual FCC license is needed to operate the device other than on the channels and with the bandwidth and power limits shown under the “Data” tab.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Thanks again for the info.

Over the last few days I have learned a lot more about these radios, and for keeping in touch "Around the Farm" they seem the solution for me.

I went ahead and got my GMRS license. It is nice that my family can all use these radios with all of the channels legally on the one license.

I will also be picking up some certified GMRS radios that have 4-5 watt output, compared to the 2 watt of my current bubble pack radios. I have even seen some 40-50 watt base stations (also mobile) that might be a good choice for the home.

Ron

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    If you are not opposed to getting a lic. I would highly suggest getting your ham radio lic. It will open up freqs,power levels, better range. Its cheap and easy to get your tech lic.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Yeah, I am probably going to get one. Going through a couple of books right now. The problem is I can promise you my wife will never get one :>). She does enjoy using the SW receiver though.

Ron

Top Bottom