Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Master
    $660.00 until Nov 27th, then it goes up $20...stays at $680 until the end of January, then it goes back up to $780.00 - built in antenna tuner is a real nice feature and this is a full featured radio capable of SSB, CW. AM, and digital modes like RTTY, FT-8. JT-65, PSK-31

I have never owned a Yaesu HF radio, just Ten Tec and Elecraft...but I have all Yaesu VHF/UHF gear and it's built well.

Plinker
    I actually prefer the old tube type rigs myself, like the Drake TR4C and Yaesu Ft101EE but the price of the 450D was irresistible. So I got one.

Master
    Having an old tube rig around could come in handy after the NorKor's bomb us with an EMP blast.

We also have these and just listen

Quote Originally Posted by wakproductions View Post
    I'm new to ham, but I've got a handheld Baofeng like this and have been doing some listening to get familiar with the airwaves.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Radio...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Member #602

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by csaws View Post
    We also have these and just listen
    What freqs do you listen to in Morgan County?

Tired Of Winning
    Quote Originally Posted by wakproductions View Post
    I'm new to ham, but I've got a handheld Baofeng like this and have been doing some listening to get familiar with the airwaves.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Radio...70_&dpSrc=srch
    Put this on my wish list. Of course, they soon had it listed on a lightening deal for $35. What choice did I have?

Now have to figure how to make the complicated contraption make noise.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

rvb
    Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Put this on my wish list. Of course, they soon had it listed on a lightening deal for $35. What choice did I have?

Now have to figure how to make the complicated contraption make noise.
    I recently picked up a little vf6r (new for $20) to toss around. I imagine the SW is basically the same between the two. you should be able to just type in a frequency. Since you aren't transmitting, you won't have to worry about offsets and PL tones and such. saving to memory is pretty easy (but I discovered I couldn't save unless I first cleared out the memory).

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/prox.php will let you find ham repeaters near by.
    you can go here to find all kinds of other frequencies: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=18

-rvb
    Ryan V. B. TY56060 Come shoot USPSA w Ft Wayne Area Practical Shooters: www.facebook.com/fwuspsa

Marksman
    So, nobody has an answer to the OPs quest for a radio that will receive ham bands, except for the walkie talkie type units and the big base station units?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodsie57 View Post
    So, nobody has an answer to the OPs quest for a radio that will receive ham bands, except for the walkie talkie type units and the big base station units?
    Get a scanner that covers 545 Khz to 5 Ghz ....you'll need several antennas.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsie57 View Post
    It has been mentioned already a week ago.

The Baofeng UV-5R is probably your best/cheapest option.
    Portable two way radio.
    You can listen to the frequencies used by walkie talkies as well (FRS band) but it's it's illegal to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Time View Post
    I like turtles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3