• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    I'm interested in getting a good shtf radio. I only want to monitor whats going on with all of the important transmissions. I don't think that
    I want to get into transmitting at this time. So, what would be a good radio for me to check into.

Thanks
    bc

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Depends on what you you want to hear. WX and local hams will be in the UHF/VHF freq range so a scanner will work. If you want to listen to shortwave broadcasts, and HF ham radio QSO's you need a decent shortwave receiver AND a good external antenna.

copper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jun 20, 2009
    Shelby County
    It seems like every time I start checking into ham radio I just get confused. There is a lot to learn. So , after checking out the link from Spear Dave, I think I might start out with the C.Crane CCRadio-SW (Model CSW-TCF). For around $120 it might be a good start for me...

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    You may want to rethink buying just a reciever. Can you see where a transmitter could help or save you?

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I too am new to ham radio and have yet to get my ticket but I am studying and will in time. I do not transmit. Period. But I listen often. I did plenty of research and decided on what was best for me and the possible situation(s) I could find myself in. I bought a couple Yaesu FT 60's used of eBay and those led to a couple Yaesu VX 5r's also off eBay. I have learned their functions, how to program them by hand, and their limitations. My goal was getting local information and the ability to communicate within a certain radius of my location. The 5r can pick up some decent shortwave so I have the ability to hear a bit more national and international info. I also picked up an older HF rig that I am learning to run.

I wanted to get my feet wet and learn by doing. And I am glad I did it this way. I did not want to be the guy that has lots of gear but doesn't know how to turn it on. So, figure out if you want local or long distance comms and watch a few videos and read a few articles. Then buy and learn your gear inside and out.

The Tin Hat Ranch on youtube has some very good videos and info.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    G&G, Thanks for pointing out Tin Hat Ranch. I'll be watching more on there. I need to learn more before I commit to a radio.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    If listening is ALL you wish to do I would suggest a Whistler TRX 1 or 2 scanner or maybe even the Home Patrol 1 or 2 scanner. Both will let you listen to a whole bunch of stuff. Both are a little pricey... but both work very well. I am currently able to listen in on local and state police, fire, EMS,Homeland Security, and some Ham bands.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    It seems like every time I start checking into ham radio I just get confused. There is a lot to learn. So , after checking out the link from Spear Dave, I think I might start out with the C.Crane CCRadio-SW (Model CSW-TCF). For around $120 it might be a good start for me...

I looked at that review and am familiar with most of the radios. If you want to listen to high frequency (HF) ham (amateur radio operators) traffic your radio will need the SSB (single sideband) capability. Otherwise, what you will hear is a garbled voice transmission. SSB consists of LSB and USB (lower and upper sideband) I have the Tecsun PL-660 which is an AMAZING radio for just under $100. The PL 660 is selectable for LSB/USB and also has a BFO dial (beat frequency oscillator) The BFO changes the audible pitch to make the voice understandable and more normal sounding.

It can all sound pretty confusing but with the added features you can dial in a signal and have the transmissions sound like the person is right next door. - very cool! Connect a simple long wire like 10 feet of cheap speaker wire and you are in business. The built in antenna will work too but adding the wire really improves the whole experience. Check out the link below:

My :twocents: Dan KG9KF

https://www.anon-co.com/product/tecsun-pl660-ssb-radio

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm sorry, but if you really only want a radio to listen to local traffic with no intention of ever getting your license, it will be a waste of time and resources.

Shortwave it makes sense. Or even an sdr dongle to listen to hf and all the other fun things.

But really you will get more it of it if you have a license and can chime in with questions or request for clarifications. Even if you are not s chatty person you will still feel compelled to chime in from time to time.

Getting your license is very easy, and cheap. It takes little effort to get your first level of lic.

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    If your planning on getting a ham license in your future. It might be a good idea to purchase a new or used HF transceiver. Alinco, Icom, or Yeasu make nice HF transceivers, but they are pricey, but you might find a good used one on qrz.com. You can only listen and learn some ham radio techniques before you get your FCC ticket. Set your Hf transceiver up with a simple long wire antenna and you can monitor different transmissions at some great distances. A great hobbie

Last edited:

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    The CCShortwave is a great radio, had mine 10 yrs, use it daily- not gonna let you listen to the Ham guys, though- I thought It would, like the OP. Has to do with that "side band thing"

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Used HF transceiver will set you back $300 to $2000 bucks. Depending on what you get. They are not all the same. Then you need an antenna, which you can build for less than $100 or you can spend a couple G's on one...if the radio doesn't come with an auto matching system for the antenna, you'll also need an antenna tuner $100 for manual, $300-$500 for an automatic tuner. Now you need a power supply...if your transceiver is a 100 watt model, you will need at the minimum a 30 Amp power supply...another couple hundred for a new one, less than $100 for a used one maybe.

All you need to do then is pass a simple 35 question exam that you only have to get 26 right....that makes you a Technician Class Amateur Radio Operator, pass another 35 question exam by getting at least 26 right again, and you now have a General Class Amateur Radio License and just about full access to HF.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Used HF transceiver will set you back $300 to $2000 bucks. Depending on what you get. They are not all the same. Then you need an antenna, which you can build for less than $100 or you can spend a couple G's on one...if the radio doesn't come with an auto matching system for the antenna, you'll also need an antenna tuner $100 for manual, $300-$500 for an automatic tuner. Now you need a power supply...if your transceiver is a 100 watt model, you will need at the minimum a 30 Amp power supply...another couple hundred for a new one, less than $100 for a used one maybe.

All you need to do then is pass a simple 35 question exam that you only have to get 26 right....that makes you a Technician Class Amateur Radio Operator, pass another 35 question exam by getting at least 26 right again, and you now have a General Class Amateur Radio License and just about full access to HF.

Yea, you don’t have to spend a ton to get on the HF air, but it’s not dirt cheap either. I just got my general... got a 20-ish yr old radio w. Built in tuner from a coworker who was upgrading for $475 and his dipole (Carolina windom) for $50. I’ve been on the air two days and have talked to Canary Islands and Belfast Ireland. Neat stuff. When New that was probably ~$1500 in equipment. (I already had Power supply).

-rvb

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    Ham Radio Outlet has the Yaesu 450D on Black Friday special now. This is rated as an excellent entry level rig. Just add a power supply and an antenna and you are good to go. At this price it is a fantastic deal.

Top Bottom