Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Radio to only listen to ham.

I'm interested in getting a good shtf radio. I only want to monitor whats going on with all of the important transmissions. I don't think that
    I want to get into transmitting at this time. So, what would be a good radio for me to check into.

Thanks
    bc
    When you have done everything right-No one knows you did anything at all......

~~ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ~~

Master
    Depends on what you you want to hear. WX and local hams will be in the UHF/VHF freq range so a scanner will work. If you want to listen to shortwave broadcasts, and HF ham radio QSO's you need a decent shortwave receiver AND a good external antenna.

It seems like every time I start checking into ham radio I just get confused. There is a lot to learn. So , after checking out the link from Spear Dave, I think I might start out with the C.Crane CCRadio-SW (Model CSW-TCF). For around $120 it might be a good start for me...
    When you have done everything right-No one knows you did anything at all......

You may want to rethink buying just a reciever. Can you see where a transmitter could help or save you?
    "Trust but verify!"

Plinker
    Quote Originally Posted by copper View Post
    I'm interested in getting a good shtf radio. I only want to monitor whats going on with all of the important transmissions. I don't think that
    I want to get into transmitting at this time. So, what would be a good radio for me to check into.

Thanks
    bc

I'm new to ham, but I've got a handheld Baofeng like this and have been doing some listening to get familiar with the airwaves.

https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Radio...70_&dpSrc=srch

I too am new to ham radio and have yet to get my ticket but I am studying and will in time. I do not transmit. Period. But I listen often. I did plenty of research and decided on what was best for me and the possible situation(s) I could find myself in. I bought a couple Yaesu FT 60's used of eBay and those led to a couple Yaesu VX 5r's also off eBay. I have learned their functions, how to program them by hand, and their limitations. My goal was getting local information and the ability to communicate within a certain radius of my location. The 5r can pick up some decent shortwave so I have the ability to hear a bit more national and international info. I also picked up an older HF rig that I am learning to run.

I wanted to get my feet wet and learn by doing. And I am glad I did it this way. I did not want to be the guy that has lots of gear but doesn't know how to turn it on. So, figure out if you want local or long distance comms and watch a few videos and read a few articles. Then buy and learn your gear inside and out.

The Tin Hat Ranch on youtube has some very good videos and info.
    If I were you, I would knock first.

G&G, Thanks for pointing out Tin Hat Ranch. I'll be watching more on there. I need to learn more before I commit to a radio.
    "Trust but verify!"

Plinker
    Baofeng via eBay. Less than $30.00...

Plinker
    If listening is ALL you wish to do I would suggest a Whistler TRX 1 or 2 scanner or maybe even the Home Patrol 1 or 2 scanner. Both will let you listen to a whole bunch of stuff. Both are a little pricey... but both work very well. I am currently able to listen in on local and state police, fire, EMS,Homeland Security, and some Ham bands.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast