• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I have well water on my property, and everything works just fine. But what if things aren’t “just fine” and I’m without power to my well pump for an extended period of time? I’ve been trying to tie up loose ends in my preps and running water is the highest on that list. I know almost nothing about wells since I grew up in town using city water. Is there an easy/cheap way to access my well water? Not wanting to spend several thousands of dollars here if I don’t have to. I realize that I can run the pump off of a generator, but I’m trying to have as many non-electric options as possible.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A lot of how well that idea will work will depend on how far down the water is.

INGO plumbers can probably nail down that number.:)

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Lehmans also has a variety of options, including Bison. They still carry a windmill pump.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    In my experience drilling in that part of the state, water table is generally extremely shallow. One would kinda expect that, actually.

You may not need a deep well lift pump at all.

-Nate

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    The well bucket seems like an ultra-cheap backup. I’m only 26 and this is my first home, so I’m not afraid to put a little sweat equity in for the water if that means saving hundreds of dollars that could be put towards other things. If there’s a better option for ~$500 or less I’d still be very interested though. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    You can rig up a well bucket with PVC pipe and a cap, and some rubber (to make a flap for the hole you cut in the cap). Won't work quite as well, but it should service, and super cheap.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    When I changed out the drop-line in my well, I put in a separate line that I can connect to a pitcher pump. My depth to water is about 19 feet, which is near the limit for how far a pitcher pump will suck the water.

My well is under a building, so I just leave the spare pipe capped and coiled when I'm not using it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Some hand pumps, like the Simple Pump, can fit along side your submersible pump if your well is 4" or larger. We have one installed in the second well on our property.
    Hand Pump and Solar Pumps, for Your Water Well: Simple Pump Co.

That’s all I needed to know. Thanks.

Check out the GK I linked upthread. It has a lot of promise to be what you need without the prepper gouge factor. There's a couple of YouTube videos about it.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    Check out the GK I linked upthread. It has a lot of promise to be what you need without the prepper gouge factor. There's a couple of YouTube videos about it.
    Their website is a little less than helpful. It also appears that they only do their own installs? With them being located in Idaho, I’m unsure how that would work out. Would I be able to keep my current well pump in operation, unchanged with this setup? Looks like something I could tackle if the supplies were just shipped to me.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The YouTube video I watched stated they will ship you the pump with install instructions. They're a small business operation so give them a call if you're not finding what you want on their website.

Top Bottom