• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    I'm hoping the title gets a lot of looks and replies. I'm needing some suggestions on how to keep the watering nipples from freezing on chicken drinking system. I used to have the 1 gallon self watering container sitting on a metal cookie tin w/light bulb inside-worked but hassle to replenish everyday. This past summer, set up a 5 gal. bucket with sink basket in bottom, 90 deg angle and 1-3/4" schedule 80 PVC pipe about 18" long feeding 3 watering nipples. My question is how to keep the bucket setup from freezing. I've done numerous internet searches. Was swaying towards the heat tape wrap design. Anyone try this or any other ways with good results?

NVG
    If title offends anyone, I apologize.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    My nipples were definitely frozen this morning.

Perhaps you could make some sort of insulated box to hold the bucket and have the nipple poke through the side of the box. I'm thinking I need to build an insulated box to help keep the horse's water tank from freezing; I've read this actually works, so it could work for your application, just scaled down.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've used heat tape before, and currently have a 5 gallon galvanized water sitting on one of these:
    shopping

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    They make floating heaters for livestock tanks that might work in your bucket. Then you could use heat tape on the waterline and nipples (if needed). I would also insulate the bucket and waterline. Check with Tractor Supply or Rural King.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Just set mine up yesterday. Tried setting up heating tape on a PVC watering system. Wasn't impressed. Bought a 2 gallon bucket with integrated heater & thermostat at Rural King. Just drilled 2 holes and installed the nipples. Works great. If you already have a bucket setup, look for a drop in heater. Make sure it says useable in plastic.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I only have six chickens so in the winter i use the largest heated dog bowl and change the water daily. Works great for me

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If title offends anyone, I apologize.

No you don't! :): waaa

We don't use the nipple style waterer for this reason. Using the open-style waterer is a PITA because of cleaning every day, but if it's set on a warmer pad, it doesn't freeze. Actually, I think it wouldn't freeze very quickly anyway.

-Nate

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    We used a heated dog dish last year. It worked pretty well until it got real real cold. Had to crack the ice a couple times. The problem is, well, they are chickens and they crap in the water. So... this year we went with the bucket/nipple set up. We are planning to insert a water tank style heating element and hope that the water doesn't freeze. Our nipples are screwed into the bucket (no pipe) so the theory is maybe the water inside the nipples will not freeze.

Just our :twocents: from INGO sector november charlie.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    From what I've read on backyardchickens.com (nice site), the front-facing nipples are less likely to freeze than the downward hanging. (there is a joke there somewhere)

NVG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 28, 2014
    SEast
    Thanks for all the replies-even the humorous ones (knew the crazies would crawl out of the woodwork with that title-LOL).
    I'm currently utilizing the self waterer on heated cookie tin with good results but wanted to eliminate the "daily trip" to refill-old and lazy. I'm thinking of trip to Rural King to buy 12' heat tape for trial run.
    Dosproduction, I'm not sure how you can w/o electricity. As someone stated, the website backyardchickens is an excellent source of info.
    I will update on progress.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I would like to see a picture.
    Circulation is what is needed.
    Also insulation. You need to insulate the bottom where the heat is needed.
    A downward “L” with the feeder at the elbow.
    Heating the drop leg will cause natural circulation.
    The warmed water will rise and be replaced by the cooler water.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Top Bottom