• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How many have tried or practiced a "one stick fire"? If you're not familiar, it's the idea of taking one piece of wood and using it for fuel, kindling, and tinder exclusively. Most people do it with a only a knife (and a baton) or a hatchet for their tool and a ferrocerium rod or more primitive source of ignition.

Were you successful on your first try? How often do you practice it?

I was not successful last week, but I have ideas about what I can change to improve my prospects next time.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I do it, but I use locally found flint and a rusty nail to start the fire.

That's challenging! How many tries before you succeeded the first time?

Given how tough it can be to ignite tiny shavings/wood dust with a ferro rod, I'm impressed that you can do it with flint and steel.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    $3 at Harbor freight and you get a magnesium striking bar and a piece of steel hacksaw blade....make fire for years with that

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    This is one of the challenges I give to my Boy Scouts when camping. If they can do it I will take their tent down at the end of the campout. We only have a few older scouts that can do it. They get to choose the log they want and can use a axe and their pocket knife along with their ferrous rod.

I can do it with just my ESEE-4 and ferrous rod. Preparation is everything.

DBE3BE68-D5C7-47BA-B211-FDC984656B34_zpsgms9qgk6.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Choosing a good stick seems to weigh heavily in the success of an attempt. I've decided to use a a stick that is dry and more favorable to success for subsequent attempts until I get really good at it. Then I'll go back to the first thing I find in the cold and damp once my skills have improved. Do you just go for "dry," or are there species that work better?

One thing I know I did "wrong" is that I did my scraping of tiny shavings and dust from the outside. The bark was loose and crumbly, which led me to wrongly conclude that it was dry and what was under it was dry. I should have done my scraping and feathering on the inside parts after splitting, where it would likely be dry or at least less damp.

I used my Battle Horse Smoky Mountain Razor and a ferro rod, which I'll probably do again. That knife is a wood-processing beast and did good work on my preparations even though I didn't achieve ignition. It splits and carves really well and the spine is sharp enough to scrape so I can save the edge for carving.

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I was extremely tempted to dump about 4gr of titegroup in your tinder bundle between attempts, but I didn’t want to risk hurting anyone If they got too close. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hah! I got plenty of suggestions . . . all were well intended, but they would have defeated the purpose. I had more than one lighter on my person and a variety of tinders and flame extenders in my gear, but I don't need practice with those. Cotton balls with vaseline will ignite from a hard look and burn quite a while. However, they do not appear when processing a stick.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I’m pretty certain I would fail. I can build a fire. But I can’t get a spark to save my life.

I do suspect that wood selection is probably a major component of a successful attempt.
    Ill go bolder and say I’m certain of it.

What did you try?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I’m pretty certain I would fail. I can build a fire. But I can’t get a spark to save my life.

I do suspect that wood selection is probably a major component of a successful attempt.
    Ill go bolder and say I’m certain of it.

What did you try?

I think it was pine, but I wasn't lucky enough to find a piece that was all resin-ey.

I recommended willow, especially from bottomlands... Or rock cherry...:)

Thank you, sir!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I think it was pine, but I wasn't lucky enough to find a piece that was all resin-ey.

Thank you, sir!

Just in case the humor didn't come through, please don't try either of those. I have a bunch of bone dry rock cherry splits in my woodpile that only burns if they have multiple hickory splits going full bore underneath. Willow usually isn't even worth trying to burn.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Just in case the humor didn't come through, please don't try either of those. I have a bunch of bone dry rock cherry splits in my woodpile that only burns if they have multiple hickory splits going full bore underneath. Willow usually isn't even worth trying to burn.

Ah, no, I did not recognize the humor. Thank you for the clarification!

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Ah, no, I did not recognize the humor. Thank you for the clarification!
    LOL, no prob. On a serious note though, with seasoned softwood like pine the exterior often holds more moisture than the interior unless it has been kept really dry. You might have more luck if your initial feathers etc are from the interior. Run away from anything that is in direct contact with bark, the space between bark and log tends to hold a lot of moisture and seldom dries completely.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    LOL, no prob. On a serious note though, with seasoned softwood like pine the exterior often holds more moisture than the interior unless it has been kept really dry. You might have more luck if your initial feathers etc are from the interior. Run away from anything that is in direct contact with bark, the space between bark and log tends to hold a lot of moisture and seldom dries completely.

That's an excellent point and I think failing to accommodate that fact was the primary reason for my failure.

Regardless of what wood I use, I'll do my scraping and fuzzing on the inside parts after splitting.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The absolute BEST wood to use is sassafras. It is the ONLY easily found wood in Indiana that burns while wet. It is FULL of oil, and easy to find, all year round. Once you master (the cheating way) of using a ferro/cerrium set-up, then move down to flint and steel. The final test is using fint and flint, and THEN you are not dependant on ANY manmade materials. Another fun fire starter to check out is a "fire piston". With tinder, you can get an ember in one hit. Without tinder, it usually takes several hits to get an ember going out of a small sliver of sassafras. I plan on making one out of deer antler, but have not yet gotten around to it. For the time being, I use a wooden one that I purchased on-line. If any of your kids have gone to Bradford woods in fifth grade, there is a good chance that I have taught them some of this bushcraft.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    The absolute BEST wood to use is sassafras. It is the ONLY easily found wood in Indiana that burns while wet. It is FULL of oil, and easy to find, all year round. Once you master (the cheating way) of using a ferro/cerrium set-up, then move down to flint and steel. The final test is using fint and flint, and THEN you are not dependant on ANY manmade materials. Another fun fire starter to check out is a "fire piston". With tinder, you can get an ember in one hit. Without tinder, it usually takes several hits to get an ember going out of a small sliver of sassafras. I plan on making one out of deer antler, but have not yet gotten around to it. For the time being, I use a wooden one that I purchased on-line. If any of your kids have gone to Bradford woods in fifth grade, there is a good chance that I have taught them some of this bushcraft.

Sassafras, agree 100%. I have built several campfires and I have never found a natural substance that burns like sassafras. It does not last but a tiny bit, but it burns hot and catches ridiculously easily. It is also super easy to identify in the woods, both with and without leaves ("mitten leaves", unusual bark texture and pungent and uncommon smell).

Thank you for fighting the good fight with your work at Bradford woods!

I never went there, but I know lots of folks who have and who's kids have/are. Everyone I have talked to just loves the place and what they do/learn there. Good work!

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Sassafras, agree 100%. I have built several campfires and I have never found a natural substance that burns like sassafras. It does not last but a tiny bit, but it burns hot and catches ridiculously easily. It is also super easy to identify in the woods, both with and without leaves ("mitten leaves", unusual bark texture and pungent and uncommon smell).

Thank you for fighting the good fight with your work at Bradford woods!

I never went there, but I know lots of folks who have and who's kids have/are. Everyone I have talked to just loves the place and what they do/learn there. Good work!

Thank you. I love imparting "natural knowledge" to kids. I am amzed at how few kids have ever fished, or shot a bow and arrow, much less an atlatl. Most have never eaten anything from the woods, and many have never even cooked over a fire. I teach them the natural antidote to stinging nettles (which usually comes in very handy), outdoor edibles, shelter building, etc. One more point about sassafras, is that the wood AND bark both have an orange hue, and are easy to spot, even from a distance

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sassafras! Got it. Sounds like it's about the same as using fat wood if success if virtually guaranteed!

Now I have to wait until next Saturday at the earliest to try again. Stupid adult responsibilities!

Top Bottom