• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I did something I have not done for quite a while. I put two different types of gas masks on and mounted a variety of rifles and went to the range. An older M17 gas mask and whatever the M number is for the current one.

The best for getting some kind of sight picture quickly were the military rifles like the M1903, Garand, M1A. Close behind was the 94 Winchester. I think because of the buttstock design from the beginning.

The AR15A2 was Ok with irons. The rifle just needed to be tilted inward. Those AR's I own with red dots were difficult. But I could make them all work with some practice.

None of my scoped rifles, bolt gun or AR could be used with either gas mask. I could not get my eye behind the scope. If I am going to use a scoped rifle and gas mask, the scope has to be mounted really high. And the rifle will probably have to be canted.

My Scout rifles with a forward mounted scope worked OK. But were difficult.

No problem with any pistol or with my Sub 2K or Shockwave 12 gauge.

Just FWIW. Maybe you should find out for yourself. There may be a time when the survivors have been wearing gas masks for a couple of weeks.... Your results may be totally different. But at least you will know.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This is very interesting. I think all my optics have a 3" eye relief, I can see where the gas mask would complicate that. Makes me wonder how does the military deal with gas masks and glass optics?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A buddy of mine is one of the select few Indiana National Guardsmen on the chem/bio/nuke reaction/investigation unit (the name of which escapes me at the moment). You'll never catch him gearing up "just for fun". :D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A buddy of mine is one of the select few Indiana National Guardsmen on the chem/bio/nuke reaction/investigation unit (the name of which escapes me at the moment). You'll never catch him gearing up "just for fun". :D

Different strokes for different folks.

There was a submarine out there where a bunch of the nukes were in trouble for starting up the reactor, and shutting it down.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw

ING 53rd Civil Support Team?

I was a CBRN Instructor for the USAF. Usually ended up dressing out to MOPP-4, for large classes. I really didn't mind wearing the gear and the new M-50 mask was really nice. We showed the attached video, to demonstrate how not to wear the gear. :lmfao:

M50.jpg
    [video=youtube;FU9COryOrOw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU9COryOrOw[/video]

When I was still in the reserves, we always had to shoot a portion of the Rifle Qual with a protective mask. At the time,we had the MCU-2P. Wore one in the Chemical Defense Training Facility live agent chamber at Fort Leonard Wood. The United States Army | Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri | CBRN School | 3rd Chemical Brigade | CDTF

The MCU-2P was a huge improvement over the craptastic M-17. I hated that mask. Now the M-50 is a huge improvement over the MCU-2P and M-40. For the first time, the entire DoD all wears the same protective mask.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have spent days suited up as an EOD guy rendering safe some stuff I won't talk about. I spent a lot of time while suited up. I don't know what MOPP4 is..

It isn't so much eye relief, its how the dam thing changes check weld so much.

Anyway, its just FWIW. I think about such things. Maybe it is not relevant to anybody. But I have the scars on me from mustard gas that got through an improperly sealed suit.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    ING 53rd Civil Support Team?

I was a CBRN Instructor for the USAF. Usually ended up dressing out to MOPP-4, for large classes. I really didn't mind wearing the gear and the new M-50 mask was really nice. We showed the attached video, to demonstrate how not to wear the gear. :lmfao:

M50.jpg
    [video=youtube;FU9COryOrOw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU9COryOrOw[/video]

When I was still in the reserves, we always had to shoot a portion of the Rifle Qual with a protective mask. At the time,we had the MCU-2P. Wore one in the Chemical Defense Training Facility live agent chamber at Fort Leonard Wood. The United States Army | Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri | CBRN School | 3rd Chemical Brigade | CDTF

The MCU-2P was a huge improvement over the craptastic M-17. I hated that mask. Now the M-50 is a huge improvement over the MCU-2P and M-40. For the first time, the entire DoD all wears the same protective mask.

Using the term "craptastic" to describe the M-17 you are being kind. Sweat gurgling out of the exhaust valve was always a bit unnerving. If you had to change the filters on that mask in a chemical environment you were going to die. Also, I'd rather be OPFOR than MOPP-4 :D

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Ya gotta love acronyms. We just called it "suiting up" in the early 70's. Lots of rubber. Lots of duct tape. M17. The Pfc's in the unit had to stand guard with the M16's while we rendered safe stuff downrange. They brought us a bomb trailer to transport devices in 1973. We all laughed at the contraption.

There is nothing like the M17 on a hot Alabama afternoon. And sweat gurgling up your ankles in the rubber suit.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Mission Oriented Protective Posture, (MOPP)

100525-F-5193R-001.JPG
    MOPPIN in up. Has to be from the same people who gave us the AFRTS (Armed Forces Radio and Television Service) propaganda commercials. Are you ORI Phase II ready? By the time the IG team showed up you were pretty much burned out from so many exercises. It's been almost 20 years since my last Phase II ORI (in Iceland of all places, chems won't work in Iceland because of the wind and no ground cover) in March 1998. The IG shut things down the first day because of the 60 MPH wind gusts. Wimps! We were used to it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I worked for USAAC for a short time.

Unuted States Army Acronym Command

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Shooting in a mask is a skill; a necessary skill. If artillery hits and doesn't got boom...put on your mask. If you see smoke...put on you mask. If you're in a firefight and there's fire/smoke...put on your mask. If in doubt...put on your mask.

And by the way....GAS! GAS! GAS! ...put on your mask.

Now go to war young man. I'll be waiting here with my mask on.

Top Bottom