• dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Hi INGO.

We currently own a portable solar panel (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B009MIPH4K/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

We use it when dry camping off grid in our little camper but I’d like to pair it with something to charge cell phones and devices as well. I’m thinking some kind of portable device that has a battery to store the power from the panel and then usb or some kind of output to get the charge to the phones...?

The solar panel currenty has alligator clips or clips on it to attach to our camper battery.

Anyone build or buy something for a similar purpose/function?

thanks folks.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    I’ve dabbled around the garage with some basic battery setups for kicks and giggles, maybe I can be of help.

So are you looking for an independent 12v battery to buck down to 5v, to charge a lithium ion battery pack to boost to 5v, or to connect while you’re charging your camper battery?

Direct 12v, I can’t think of anything easier than an independent SLA cell. They’re compact, light, powerful for watts/cost ratio, and pretty affordable off eBay.

In the camper, it’s easy enough to run a 12v-5v cigarette plug adapter off your camper battery if portable isn’t a concern. Run the wire wherever and ground it, with an inline fuse of course. Companies like Anker make the cigarette adapters that have multiple jacks and extend it from the plug, and most are 12v/24v rated so nearly any juice you throw at them will be safely dropped to 5v.

Battery packs? I’ve made most of mine from recycled power tool batteries, but unless you have access to them, it’s cleaner to buy a commercially engineered pack from Anker or other big company.

edit: spelling

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Check out Goal Zero stuff. Have a panel and battery pack that I use on hunting trips out west. I use it to keep phone (for my hunting app) and small lights. They have a full range of stuff.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If you already have a battery being charged by the solar panel why wouldn't you run a line off of that battery to a cigarette/accessory outlet and use your current car chargers?

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    How about something like this?

[FONT=&quot]ACOPOWER 150Wh Portable Solar Generator Power Supply Energy Storage Lithium ion Battery Charged by Solar/AC Outlet/Cars with Dual AC Outlet, 3 DC Ports, 2 USB Ports

[/FONT]

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Thanks everyone. To be more clear, I was looking for something to use when not using our camper and camper battery. Something to take advantage of the fact that I have solar panels and provide power for cell phones, laptops, etc in emergency situations if the power goes out for an extended time.

OutdoorDad, I looked up the product you mention and I think it’s this one
    https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Por...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B06W9FWFXD

That looks about perfect. Can charge it from the wall during normal times and solar or car if SHTF.

cosmos556

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2017
    Greenwood
    Since you mention sensitive electronics, is the linked model a pure sine wave inverter? Looks like a modified sine wave, which would give me pause with a laptop. I suppose you could go 12v DC to ~19v DC with a car adapter, or just hope for the best when charging the laptop.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Thanks everyone. To be more clear, I was looking for something to use when not using our camper and camper battery. Something to take advantage of the fact that I have solar panels and provide power for cell phones, laptops, etc in emergency situations if the power goes out for an extended time.

OutdoorDad, I looked up the product you mention and I think it’s this one
    https://www.amazon.com/ACOPOWER-Por...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B06W9FWFXD

That looks about perfect. Can charge it from the wall during normal times and solar or car if SHTF.

Yes. That’s the one.
    I’ve been using mine for a little over a year as a Softball Dad.
    I charge iPads, phones, GoPro batteries for the families of 12 players. Seems someone is always plugged in.
    And I’ve also run a small fan in the heat of summer to keep Dad cool and comfortable on those days when it’s just too darned hot.

It came with a 12 volt and 120 volt charger adapters. So if I forget to bring it in to the house, the small amount of driving around during the week I do, usually has it topped up by the week end.

It also has a pretty bright flood lamp that might be useful in your application as well.

For me, it’s been well worth the price.

Top Bottom