• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    I know there are 100s of lists out there. But I wanted to ask the experts.
    I conceal carry a lcp2. Have a .22lr revolver. And a 16" ar15 in 5.56 (well I will as soon as PSA finishes processing the order haha)

What's next? Full size 9mm? 12 gauge?

Feel free to delete if this is in the wrong section.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    This new ruger pcc might be good. 9mm, iron sights, takes glock mags... doesnt look like an AR is something i consider a + when talking about shtf. Dont wanna look like a target.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    SHTF gun should be a common caliber... .22LR, 9mm, .45ACP, .357/.38, .223, .308, 12ga, and do not discount black powder.

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Id go 12 gauge, especially since your talking shtf weapon and you have an ar on order. After that id bump up the firepower of your carry weapon. Just my :twocents:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll say a 12 gauge. It's just too versatile not to have one.

But you will need a full size 9mm too. Anything with at least a 4" barrel will do fine.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    That's easy 12 gauge, 2 would be better.

Id go 12 gauge, especially since your talking shtf weapon and you have an ar on order. After that id bump up the firepower of your carry weapon. Just my :twocents:

I'll say a 12 gauge. It's just too versatile not to have one.

But you will need a full size 9mm too. Anything with at least a 4" barrel will do fine.

Ha. 3 answers at the same time for a 12 g.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...What's next? Full size 9mm?

Yes. Also carry rig and plenty of mags. It's the gun you will always have, regardless of where the others may be.

My advice; go with the most popular brand and platform. The one most likely to match other carriers and law enforcement. The one that has the largest market of stock, aftermarket and used accessories.

Then you want to work on skills, which is actually much more important than the hardware. Figure your training and competition calendar and budget.

Somewhere in there you'll want to seriously start thinking about reloading, the only way most of us to afford to shoot enough to be proficient.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    #1. More ammo.

#2. .357 Magnum revolver.

^What he said. maybe a model with conversion cylinder for 9mm if you get caught in an ammo pinch. Ruger Blackhawk comes to mind. I pair mine with a lever gun in .357/.38. Makes a fantastic hunting combo.

I am also a big fan of the widely overlooked sks. Relatively cheap weapons to buy, yet built like a tank. Although it is not a traditionally American caliber (7.62x39), ammo is cheap enough you can afford to stockpile large quantities.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    How about a melee weapon, like a study walking stick?

Everyone needs a good quarter staff, or better yet, a buck-and-a-quarter staff.

daffy-duck-010.gif

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Hell with a mossberg 500 and the 870, maverick 88 all day! Ive had mine for 6 years and ran more rounds through it than i can remember with absolutly no problems. Plus its like $200 brand spankin new and all the aftermarket mossberg 500 parts work with it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Stagecoach gun for defend close, PTR91 for defend far. Whatever flavor you choose though, ammo! Or they're all just clubs...which is also why I like spears, swords and bows. Maybe a good air gun too, you can get thousands of rounds for little moola, Lewis and Clark thought they were great (though theirs fired 44cal round balls).

Top Bottom