• ...and so much more!
  • aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    My Uncle was a former LEO. He always had on his scanner on top of my Aunt piano. Can you still buy a police scanner that will work with their digital radios now?

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    My Uncle was a former LEO. He always had on his scanner on top of my Aunt piano. Can you still buy a police scanner that will work with their digital radios now?
    Yes, but they tend to be pretty expensive. The feature you are looking for is “trunking digital scanner”. Uniden has several models that will do it.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Look up a scanner app for android phone. There are people that run a scanner and load it to the app live. You may be able to use it till you figure out how you want to go.

Sagamore - One

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    Near Bippus
    There are only two basic choices in police scanners available, Uniden and Whistler. All police agencies in Indiana are on the Safe Indiana P25 Trunked system in the 800 Mhz area . Currently P1 is standard system with a few planning to upgrade to P2 in the near future. Broadcastify is a decent short term alternative till you figure out which scanner best suits your own particular needs. I have a Whistler 1080 and an Uniden Home Patrol 2 in front of me now. Both work... one better in some ways than the other, and vice versa. Whistler has the best customer service .. hands down. Uniden customer service is in need of service.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Also, check the location(s) you intend to scan. Some (Fort Wayne as one example) have encrypted all police transmissions so even with the correct trunking scanner you won't hear anything since the commercial scanners aren't privy to the encryption.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    not to be rude, but why would you want to sit and listen to a police scanner? Other than the desire to know what's going on in your city, is there some benefit?

aporter

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Hamilton County
    not to be rude, but why would you want to sit and listen to a police scanner? Other than the desire to know what's going on in your city, is there some benefit?

Something to listen to in the garage when turning wrenches or tinkering with a weapon. I don’t think it would be a bad thing to know what law enforcement is dealing with in my vicinity. Faster alerts than the news.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I live here in the big city. Ive been able to avoid areas after seeing police car after police car going pedal to the metal past me, turning on the scanner and finding out they are chasing somebody. Not going to that area after all. Maybe later.

There is something to be said about being "in the loop". As a HAM operator, I find that being able to listen in on ANY relevant frequency whether it is a weather net, or police frequency can be beneficial. In the former, I know several minutes before you do that a severe weather alert is going to be broadcast. In the latter, I know to batten down the hatches or reroute because I dont want to be where the cops are congregating in a hurry.

Listening to the right frequencies has benefited me directly on multiple occasions.

And I think one of the INGOers runs the scanner for Indianapolis on Broadcastify.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

I was able to hear of an armed and dangerous suspect running from the police and know he was heading my way. That allowed me to make sure my wife and kids who happened to be out riding bikes didn't run into each other.
    As I was listening to all of the radio traffic I said damn,that ****er is heading my way. I walked out on my back deck and guess who was trying to use my detached garage as concealment? The dirtbag who matched the police description to a T. Guess who called the police and was able to get him apprehended? Me, because I listened to the police radios.
    Odds are he wouldn't have hurt anyone else. As i was going after him to relay info he was telling me to stop chasing him, so he didn't have any fight left in him, BUT what if he would have broke into someone's home and raped or killed them? It's good to stay informed.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, it is very limited.

Police (Local Police, County Sheriff, State Police and Highway Patrol)
    Fire Departments
    EMS/Rescue Squads/Hospital
    Road and Street Departments
    Railroads
    Air Traffic Control
    Military
    Schools and Universities
    Utilities (Water, Gas, Electric etc.)
    Malls and stores
    Stadiums
    Tornado/Weather Spotters
    Security/support for local events like marathons, festivals etc.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I guess I feel different. I wouldn't mind having the app but I don't feel like going out of my way to listen to scanners. all of the things mentioned about don't necessarily appeal to me. its not that big of a deal. I could care less about most of the stuff. I guess where I live its not that big of a deal.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I believe it is still illegal to have a mobile scanner, yes? If so, listening using an app on your smart phone would be considered a mobile scanner.

It is illegal in Indiana to have a scanner in a vehicle unless if you are licensed by the FCC. (HAM)

(Per IC 35-44-3-12)

Top Bottom