• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Early forecasts are coming out for a moderate to major snow event that will hit Central Indiana and most of the Northern Ohio Valley this weekend... estimates average from 8 to 15 inches with extremes between 5 and 20 inches. Local stations are just starting to mention the potential for snow and are holding their snowfall estimates back... which is odd.

National forecasters are not...

48 hour totals...
    Weather Channel: 9 to 13"
    Dark Skies: 8 to 17"
    Intellicast: 9 to 14"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Snow sucks unless you're a kid who doesn't want to go to school.

Thursday night: hectic trip to Kroger to buy bread and milk only!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We get our weather out of Louisville and at this time, they're not saying much about total snow fall only that estimates are for up to 2" inches of moisture. I'm betting down here, we'll start off with rain and as the temps drop, we'll get snow. The less, the better.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    keep-calm-and-buy-all-the-bread-and-milk-its-gonna-snow-2.png

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Early forecasts are coming out for a moderate to major snow event that will hit Central Indiana and most of the Northern Ohio Valley this weekend... estimates average from 8 to 15 inches with extremes between 5 and 20 inches. Local stations are just starting to mention the potential for snow and are holding their snowfall estimates back... which is odd.

48 hour totals...

Thats because if random dude on the weather channel does it, nobody remembers his numbers a week later when it doesnt happen.

However when Kevin Gregory does, every Tom, Dick, and Harry accosts him at the grocery telling him how far off his insanely hard (If not impossible) to predict 5 day forecast was off.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The first thing we need to keep in mind is that weather, like other parts of the news, wants eyes and sensationalism gets eyes. There are various computer models they use and they vary widely in what is predicted. Guess which one gets reported most heavily?

"Well certainly they will suffer if their forecasts are wrong."

No- there's two things at work. First, we choose what local news we watch (or listen to) and essentially nothing will change that. If you think I'm going to stop watching Fox 32 because Mike Kaplan is off and Jenny Milkowski is still doing traffic...think again. It could be that, it could be anything. We generally do not punish a station for less than accurate forecasts.

Second, and the stranger phenomenon, is that when horrific weather is predicted and then turns out not being nearly so bad, we almost act grateful to the weather guy when he tells us its not going to be as bad. Weird. The truth is, they pick the sensational model to report days out, then revise down as it approaches so they end up being "right".

The weather I watched this morning used one model to predict 14.4" of snow over the weekend, then with a near throw away comment said another model was showing 2" to 3" (which is what my wife has come to expect).

Knowing nothing about weather, but a little about local media, I predict somewhere near whatever the most conservative model is showing.

That being said....I like snow. I like deep snow. I like pulling on my boots and trudging through snow to my knees. I makes me feel alive.

Lolzville. It will never happen. We use the 1/2 minus 1/2 rule: take the lowest forecast and divide by 1/2, then subtract another 1/2". You MIGHT get that much.

This guy gets it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Snow sucks unless you're a kid who doesn't want to go to school.

Thursday night: hectic trip to Kroger to buy bread and milk only!

how will you make french toast? Do you have chickens? :):

BREAD AND MILK ONLY! Weather panic buying traditions are sacred!

Yeah. Why everyone has to have their French toast fix during any potential weather event is beyond me.:rolleyes:

Where I'm from, we include TP too.....:)

What do you put in your French Toast????:dunno::laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    T
    No- there's two things at work. First, we choose what local news we watch (or listen to) and essentially nothing will change that. If you think I'm going to stop watching Fox 32 because Mike Kaplan is off and Jenny Milkowski is still doing traffic...think again. It could be that, it could be anything. We generally do not punish a station for less than accurate forecasts.

If you mean nothing related to the accuracy of the weather forecast, I'm on board.

I'm a dude, thus a pig, so I choose my news station based on my perception of the attractiveness of the woman doing the weather, traffic, or anchor, or all three.

Currently the Channel 8 morning news with the delightful Stephanie Mead has my loyalty.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you mean nothing related to the accuracy of the weather forecast, I'm on board.

I'm a dude, thus a pig, so I choose my news station based on my perception of the attractiveness of the woman doing the weather, traffic, or anchor, or all three.

Currently the Channel 8 morning news with the delightful Stephanie Meade has my loyalty.

The aforementioned traffic reporter on Fox 32 Chicago....and she hardly ever has anything useful to say about where I drive....which I don't care about.

https://www.jennymilkowski.com/

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

48 hour totals...

I was born during the Blizzard of '78. 40 yrs ago this month. It started similar to how this storm will start... warm weather in the 50s preceded the storm, lots of moisture in the air (though that involved some tropical gulf storm or something), temps dropping near 0 in just a couple hrs. I've heard only one forecaster got it right back then. Certainly we could get nothing from this, but it could have potential, too.

-rvb

Top Bottom