• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My headlamp is an older Fenix model that I use frequently, but it's huge and heavy. It puts out 900 lumens on max, but it has a battery pack on the back side with four AA batteries (I use rechargeables). It's heavy and if you get into a vehicle or some other seat with a head rest, the battery pack is annoying. But, when you need to see something you can really see it and I can also turn the power down really low for just getting around in the dark.

I've tried more compact units, but in general they either produce a lot less light or the battery life is short if it can match or surpass what I have (or both).

Which do favor when selecting a headlamp? Performance or smaller size/weight? Or do you go for a compromise?

I think I'm going to relegate my big Fenix for use around the house and get a more compact unit to keep in the vehicle and my packback.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I prefer smaller, lightweight headlamps. My typical use for a headlamp is work not much more than arm's length. Think task light vs. search light. I do have a couple of long range headlamps, but they get little use.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I keep two headlamps in the house and two in my car. You've already described the two types, and it's one of each in each place.
    The smaller ones are Petzl Zipkas. The bigger are Fenix in the style you described.

I haven't found any single headlamp that can do it all for me.

CPE1704TKS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I use the Fenix HL60R. It uses a single 18650 and don't find the weight to be an issue even without the strap that goes over the top of the head. It also has a micro-usb charging port and can tilt up and down to direct the light. Light output is from 1 lumen with the red lights up to 950 lumens.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Really. I was expecting something more from a post titled "massive headlamps".;)

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I use the Fenix HL60R. It uses a single 18650 and don't find the weight to be an issue even without the strap that goes over the top of the head. It also has a micro-usb charging port and can tilt up and down to direct the light. Light output is from 1 lumen with the red lights up to 950 lumens.

I've got two years with this light and still love it. Keep it charged in my truck, use it almost daily.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmmm . . .

It's been a while since I shopped for headlamps. Looks like there are some options that can do what my light does, but with just one 18650 which should be more compact.

I'll probably get a tiny one for emergency use to take with me, though.

Thanks for all the responses!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have a couple black diamond LED headlamps. Good working lamps lightweight several settings. Low green or red light for hunting. Adjustable single led for brightness dual led at full brightness. I had a couple gander mountain gift cards I had to use and they were closing them out so I got a couple different models.

Nice walking lights, working lights no real beam throw but that is not really what a headlamp is for. I believe one is an icon and the other a revolt.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Ive got a streamlight from work. It uses 3 AAA has 3 settings. Since I work midnight's and am outside for the railroad it usually lasts me 2-3 weeks before having to change batteries. Figure 3-4hrs of use per night. I inspect and repair freight cars so I need to be able to see in great detail in case something is broke or needs repaired. I've had no issues with it. I can get you a model name if you want more info.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have 4 of these, one for each family member. So far it’s work well for us.

[video=youtube_share;2uauxa0lAG0]http://youtu.be/2uauxa0lAG0[/video]

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yeah man.....get with the times. I do 100 mile foot races in the mountains. That means being out there all night with a headlamp. It has to be bright AND light. In those races, I’m averaging about 8 miles an hour. I have to be able to see much better than a hiker or someone going slow so I don’t step wrong and break something.

The answer is a Zebralight with an 18650. Mine does over 1k lumens on max output, or I can make it all night on 500 lumens on 2 batteries.

Check them out and the feedback on CPF. This isn’t a flashlight forum, and they get no love on INGO for some reason.....but they are extremely well regarded on CPF and among any flashlight geeks.

Hmmm . . .

It's been a while since I shopped for headlamps. Looks like there are some options that can do what my light does, but with just one 18650 which should be more compact.

I'll probably get a tiny one for emergency use to take with me, though.

Thanks for all the responses!

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have 4 of these, one for each family member. So far it’s work well for us.

I have been using a couple of these for the last few months and they have been top notch thus far. I expected the headband mount to go out as they feel flimsy, but both have held up better than expected.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I have been using a couple of these for the last few months and they have been top notch thus far. I expected the headband mount to go out as they feel flimsy, but both have held up better than expected.
    I wasn’t so sure about the rubber strap that holds the light to the headband but so far its worked perfect. I really like the magnetic base, great for working on cars. Just don’t forget to take it off the hood before you close it :(

Top Bottom