• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a 100 gal tank I was given 10ish years ago. The last owner said it still had propane in it. They had it stuck away in a shed for years also. Last I checked, it does release pressure when I open the valve.

Fast forward, this year using the Mr Heater so much that I hooked up their line and filter to use 20 gallon tanks. It begs the question; Should I route the line to where I could hook and drain the big tank? Is the old gas going to effect my daily used heater?

Not sure what to do with the big tank (old style valve,) but options are more limited with the old gas in it I think? :dunno:

TIA :yesway: :ingo:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, how about a K1? Assuming the retail can is factory sealed* and no moisture can enter. I've heard mixed reviews.

I've got a 5 gallon metal can in my mini barn I bought 10-12 years ago for emergency heat to fuel my convection heater. I havent had to break the seal, knock on wood, so I assume its still good. Or is it?

*Not a fuel can you fill yourself at the gas station. I can see those introducting moisture, aging, etc.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    One hundred lb tanks don't use the new OPD valve, they are exempt. If you have had it for 10 years, the tank certification is almost certainly out of date. You can contact your local propane supplier to see if they can re-certify it so you can have it refilled for about 65 bucks, or take it to tractor supply and exchange it for a full one for about 105 bucks. I don't know what they are charging for recertification's these days so I don't know which is cheaper.

Either way, there shouldn't be any issue with using the propane that is currently in it.

Jagermeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2018
    Shelby
    It's still good and we fill our smaller tanks from our larger 500 gallon tank. Bought the fittings and hose and everything works great. Just be careful. Check your local laws and your distributor.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks for the info folks. I'm gonna give it a try.

Don't know what I'll do with the tank when done. Even if I was to exchange or re-certify, it seems like a difficulty to haul around to refill vs the convenience of the 20 gal tanks.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    it seems like a difficulty to haul around to refill vs the convenience of the 20 gal tanks.

yes. The weight and bulk would make it difficult without help - especially when full. I'm sure that it would sell when you empty it, though.

And a minor niggle that matters only to me: The ubiquitous grill cylinders are 20lb cylinders. When FULL, it's just under 5 gallons of condensed propane. I think 4.7-ish gallons is considered to be "full". Don't expect a filler to ever make them "full" though.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Thanks for the info folks. I'm gonna give it a try.

Don't know what I'll do with the tank when done. Even if I was to exchange or re-certify, it seems like a difficulty to haul around to refill vs the convenience of the 20 gal tanks.

You should not have a problem finding a local propane company that will come fill it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Probably shouldn't use it. Old propane doesn't burn efficiently in newer heaters, I have a couple of old heaters that should burn it ok and will gladly dispose of it for you.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When propane goes bad, does it get tattoo sleeves, shave its head and wear sunglasses at night?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The propane may not go bad but the odorant sure can. I found an old tank in a shed and had no use for it. So I disposed. of it when there was a stiff wind.

That stuff was disgusting.

Wait. It occurs to me that if it stinks even more, the odorant hasn't gone bad...it's working even better.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    yes. The weight and bulk would make it difficult without help - especially when full. I'm sure that it would sell when you empty it, though.

And a minor niggle that matters only to me: The ubiquitous grill cylinders are 20lb cylinders. When FULL, it's just under 5 gallons of condensed propane. I think 4.7-ish gallons is considered to be "full". Don't expect a filler to ever make them "full" though.

Propane vendors are not allowed to fill the tanks to 100%. When I worked for Ferro part time about 15+ years back we weren't allowed to fill tanks over 80% so the propane had room to expand with temp changes.

Top Bottom