• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Been researching to death food dehydrators and many receive very good reviews about their ease of use and performance, but I can not seam to find one that at least 10%-15% or more of the reviews site the dehydrator lasting only 1 to 2 years or less before it fails to work. 95% of the reasons listed in the reviews as the cause for the dehydrators to fail are either the fan stops working or the heating element quits. This was common even in units costing $200-$300 dollars, and VERY few dehydrators have a warranty longer than a year.

Anyone who can recommend a good dehydrator for under $250 please let me know. Also does anyone know how hard spare parts are to buy to perform your own repairs if a fan or heating element quits and the D/H is out of warranty?

Thanks.
    Art

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Well just so happens by pure happenstance I ran into a mom who it turns out is a dehydration gueru while dropping off my son at school to day. This lovely woman has been dehydrating food for 25+ years and has no less than 5 dehydrators going at any given time 7/24 and told me she has owned nearly every dehydrator on the market for under $300 and in her extensive experience dehydrators by Nesco are your over all best bet based on how well they dehydrate, clean up and ease of use.

So I ordered a 600w Nesco snack master and again on her recommendation a LEM jerky gun. I'm trying to eliminate unhealthy and expensive snacks ( and treats for my dog) from myself and my families diet and I am a empty carb addict that can and has consumed chips and cookies by the truck load but beef jerky is an excellent low/no carb snack that can be taken anywhere and requires no refrigeration or special care and as it is LITEREALLY damn near impossible to find a low carb sugar free snack anywhere when your out and about and hungry beef jurky is about FOR ME the perfect no/low carb snack.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My Excaliber has held up well so far. Three years use.

U9VmBMu.jpg

ieIjQcQ.jpg

PMvbuzy.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't know who exactly makes Frankford Arsenal's brass dryer, which is actually a dehydrator. However, I'm on my third one in just over a year. Thankfully Amazon/Frankford have been good about replacing the units that quit heating.

41u1JItUyTL.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    My Excaliber has held up well so far. Three years use.

U9VmBMu.jpg

ieIjQcQ.jpg

PMvbuzy.jpg

That's the same one we have. It works great. I have a cheaper one too that's round. I.cant remember the name. That was my first one. The only great thing it ever did was save my iPhone I accidently tossed into the washer while doing a load of towels.

Can I ask you a non judgemental question just to possibly learn something I hadn't thought of?
    Why do you use mason jars instead of Mylar bags?
    I'm thinking the jars could break if the big earthquake we are supposed to have ever happens, or other things could break them. Then you've lost your food and it's contaminated with glass pieces.
    But with Mylar you do have to worry about rodents, so I put all my bags into buckets that get sealed. Also not rodent proof if we have a rodent surge after SHTF due to trash and waste everywhere due to no more trash pickup service

Last edited:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    They are on every yard sale. People get tired of them quick. I paid two bucks for the Nesco I had. Ran it a couple years then resold it. It takes too long for too little product. I have seen Excaliber type on Craigslist real reasonable. I wouldn't buy a new one.

gds

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2009
    Lawrencburg
    My Excaliber is 15 years old and still running. I like the ability to set the temp. you want and the amount of drying time and walk away . I don't think you can beat them .

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I bought 3 Nesco round dryers at Big Lots a couple years ago for $10 each...they were about 14 inch and had 4 or 5 trays....they lasted a couple seasons before the elements quit working. Saving up for an Excaliber... and beware of Excaliber knock offs....they don't last long.

Top Bottom