• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    For the sake of discussion, a major SHTF event hits. Immediate or impending loss of utilities long term.
    We all have food in our freezers. What can be done to salvage this food? I know meats can be smoked but have not studied up on the process yet. Any general info on that? How long can it be kept after smoking and how do you store it?

We had a house fire shortly after thanksgiving and lost a fair percentage of our preps. Still in recovery mode but working towards getting back to where we were. Learned a bit about how better to store them in the process.

Matt

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    I buy canned meats when on sale and rotate them throughout the year. I also have a number of #10 Mountain House cans I get from Emergency Essentials. Check every week or so and buy when they are on sale.

As to your freezer get a used generator to run that. You can live with candles and heat with stereo or butane. If you have the $$$$$ you can get a generator that wi run the whole house. They hook up to your gas line and can run a little or the entire show.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you have a no power way to do it, you can pressure can nearly everything in your freezer. I can everything outside over a propane burner as a routine.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    We keep commercial canned foods in good supply and rotate as well. I’ve never done any home canning but always wanted to learn. Same with smoking meats. I have a couple portable gennys and a whole house unit is in the tentative plans for the house rebuild.
    I know it’s likely unrealistic but my initial post was leaning toward more long term utility loss. Thinking longer than I’ll be able to run a generator for.

Matt

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A decent investment is a (buy once...) bigger than you think you'll need, American pressure caner. You can water bath can in it along with pressure can so you'll save some bucks not going through that step.

Menards have canning supplies at arguably the best prices seasonally. It's pretty easy to pick up a case or two of various sized (all widemouthed for me,) jars at a time, as needed. I believe they stock jars all year at decent prices, but I normally stock up when on sale.

I think Kroger does also with higher prices, but convenience sometimes wins. People talk of finding really great prices at yard sales and such.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    If you have access to a woodburner, it would be good to practice pressure canning over a fire or wood stove. Most pressure canners require a rather precise regulation of heat and a close watch on the pressure gauge/rocker/whatever. Practicing that when your life doesn't depend on it would be beneficial.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have gennys. Enough power to run both houses on the property. Enough gas to run them. Eat the food from the fridge 1st. Then the gennys will not need to cycle as much. Do not get a natural gas unit. If it a real SHTF and no power/water then you can bet there will be no Natural gas. If you are on propane get a dual fuel rig.

We have dried/canned foods as well as 2 fully stocked fridges. If you are sincere you will look into freeze dried foods. Many in the forum has the info.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Learn to can. Stock up on jars and lids. Get a propane burner and propane. It will take the food in the freezer a couple or more days to thaw so you might have some time to think it through and not be rushed. Also, canning it might not lead to your neighbors going "that smells good" and inviting themselves over while you smoke your meats.

And since you are rebuilding your preps you might want to check out the LDS folks on the NW side of Indy. I have not been in a couple years but they have great stuff. They are over behind the post office near 86th and Zionsville Rd. If memory serves, they are open to the public on Tuesday and Saturday 10-2.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    If you have the money a company called Harvest Right makes home freeze dryers that are getting good reviews on YT .

The catch is I think these things start around $2,200 , ouch .

Dave A

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Hancock Co.
    Get a 1000 watt DC and AC inverter. Connect the DC to your car and AC to the freezer and run for 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a day. PITA but doable for a week until other arrangements for made.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Get a 1000 watt DC and AC inverter. Connect the DC to your car and AC to the freezer and run for 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a day. PITA but doable for a week until other arrangements for made.

If you have enough fuel.
    Not done the math on this but our 2200 watt genny (small clean power) sometimes struggles the the compressor starts in the fridge. We have tried every combo between all the genny's. You loose a lot in the invertor so I am curious as to its ability to run a fridge from locked rotor.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A few weeks ago there was a howler of a storm in the middle of the night, power went out which woke me up. I listened as the switches clicked and the generators came on. Went back to sleep.:)

That said we do rotate canned goods and keep a good supply of dried stuff including fruits the gardener does from local bushes and trees.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Learn to can. Stock up on jars and lids. Get a propane burner and propane. It will take the food in the freezer a couple or more days to thaw so you might have some time to think it through and not be rushed. Also, canning it might not lead to your neighbors going "that smells good" and inviting themselves over while you smoke your meats.

And since you are rebuilding your preps you might want to check out the LDS folks on the NW side of Indy. I have not been in a couple years but they have great stuff. They are over behind the post office near 86th and Zionsville Rd. If memory serves, they are open to the public on Tuesday and Saturday 10-2.

are you talking about Latter Day Saints? As in the church? Curious to know what kind of stuff they’d be selling to the public.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    By the time my gen runs out of fuel I'll have had time to dig a storage cellar. Dig down to the water line where it stays cold year round and cut ice off the pond during the winter and pack it with straw. Acts as fridge and icebox all year. I have a couple of good locations for them. It better be a true SHTF though or I'm going to be annoyed.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Jerk the meat. Pickle it. Salt dry it. Biltong it. Last year my in laws freezer went out. I made 16 lb jerky. Loved every bit! Recently for the first time I pickled kilbosa and hotdog/sausages with peppers, onions and garlic. It was good on crackers. I pickled eggs......well ....that must be an acquired taste! I think biltong with larger cuts is too.
    The thing I have learned about food preservation......learn it now while you can afford to mess up!

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    are you talking about Latter Day Saints? As in the church? Curious to know what kind of stuff they’d be selling to the public.

Yes, that is what he is talking about. Here is an order form that will give you an idea of what they have and how much it costs. They used to have it where you could go in and purchase in bulk, not pre-canned/mylar bagged and either take it like that or buy cans/bags/o2 absorbers and do it there with their equipment. But unfortunately they stopped that, it was available for members of the church throughout the week, and one or two days a week for members.
    https://providentliving.lds.org/self-reliance/food-storage/home-storage-center-order-form?lang=eng

I believe they also have a shipping option but can't find it at the moment.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes you can smoke/dry meats to make jerky and such. As others have said, canning is also a very good option. You can also cure meats, but that requires some knowledge and if you don't have power for refrigeration cooperative weather. Not something I would want to try for the first time in an emergency.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US

The LDS Bishops Storehouse
    5151 W 84th St
    Indianapolis, IN 46268
    (317) 872-1754

They open at 8AM but you should call before going to make sure they are selling food that day. They sell bulk food items like dry beans, rices, wheats...and a lot more.

Top Bottom