• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    For the last couple years I have been making preparations. Water, food, medical, solar power, generators, fuel and some coms. I purchased a BaoFeng BF-F8HP radio, a couple hams and coms books and looked briefly at diving into the licensing requirements but something always jumps in the way and I'm not getting it done.
    Frequently when I am in the storage room with my stuff I look at that radio and wonder what would I do with it if I needed it tomorrow. I understand the responsibility of licensing but if something happened tomorrow I would sure like to have some capability of monitoring a local frequency or two that would be a lifeline.
    Is there a frequency (like a channel 19 on a cb radio for example) that I could tune to to monitor emergency information?

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    During severe weather you can monitor the Skywarn systems.

Indianapolis
    146.970MHz
    442.650MHz

Both systems are on the FAR northside so your stock antenna probably won't work well. Get an external antenna, hang it high, and you'll be able to monitor.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    You can make a simple J-pole to shoot into a tree using a slingshot or bow and arrow. The plans are on-line and a PVC pipe with RTV can seal it. I wouldn't worry about using a lightning arrestor since your equipment is a modest investment.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    getting your Tech class ham license is cake. An hour a night for a couple weeks studying and doing practice tests and anyone can pass. Then you'll not only be able to fumble through setting up your radio to listen, you can practice operating and working on the air and through repeaters.
    2c

repeaterbook.com has all the local repeater frequencies. 146.52 / 446.00 are the VHF/UHF simplex "calling" frequencies.

-rvb

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Just get your technician license, it's easy and will keep you legal. You'll learn a little something how to use that radio too in the process.

Now, unscrew the supplied antenna. It's trash. Rubber duck antennas are horrible. A better solution would be a decent Nagayo whip antenna or my favorite, a SignalStuff.com antenna which is made by the creator of HamStudy.org, which you can use to take practice exams and study flash cards. Both of those antennas will help you hear and be heard on such a little radio.

Being licensed also means you'll be able to partake in weekly club nets and other stuff. It's easy, you'll do just fine.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    For the last couple years I have been making preparations. Water, food, medical, solar power, generators, fuel and some coms. I purchased a BaoFeng BF-F8HP radio, a couple hams and coms books and looked briefly at diving into the licensing requirements but something always jumps in the way and I'm not getting it done.
    Frequently when I am in the storage room with my stuff I look at that radio and wonder what would I do with it if I needed it tomorrow. I understand the responsibility of licensing but if something happened tomorrow I would sure like to have some capability of monitoring a local frequency or two that would be a lifeline.
    Is there a frequency (like a channel 19 on a cb radio for example) that I could tune to to monitor emergency information?

Come on, man, just get it done. Children do this. Literally. Emergency communications is not just turning a power switch on and waving the antenna around. If the poop has hit the fan you are very likely going to have to work for your comms which means you better know what you are doing.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Thanks for the information. I was hoping for more than weather info... so looks like I best get the license done.

You can always monitor anything you want without the license. It's still better to get it though. You really have to use your radio in order to learn it well enough to be a useful tool. Just like anything else, owning it just isn't enough without the proper skill set.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    During severe weather you can monitor the Skywarn systems.

Indianapolis
    146.970MHz
    442.650MHz

Both systems are on the FAR northside so your stock antenna probably won't work well. Get an external antenna, hang it high, and you'll be able to monitor.

I can get 146.970 very well on the far southeast side. Transmitting can be problematic, though.

Top Bottom