Sending text messages in a SHTF scenario.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I’m aware of the voice options for communication during SHTF, but I’m interested in knowing if there are any text communication tools available for sending text messages during a SHTF situation. It’s very possible that cell phones won’t be able to make calls and receive text messages during a big event (9/11 comes to mind).

I’m m wondering if there are any free and reliable options for sending and receiving text messages over a long distance. I’m aware of satellite phone options that can send and receive texts, but at $12/month for the cheapest subscription service, which is not awful, but would be a wasted cost considering it would seldom see use. Are there other options available that I haven’t found yet?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    There are digital ham options. Some have been around for a while and use a computer interface to the radio, like RTTY, where you type messages back and forth. Some are newer, such as text options on DMR where you can enter messages on the handheld numberpad like you would on pre-smart-phone text messages (not always supported by the repeaters/bridges)....

-rvb

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If it's a power out SHTF I'd suggest walking over and talking to the neighbors. If the electricity is out for good then good luck with any of your electricity based preps. I have some battery based com devices but don't expect that to last long.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    fcf4b425c9e07beeeb39c4654330bb36.jpg

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I was thinking in terms of communication with my wife at home when I’m at work in a SHTF situation. I travel some for work and it’s not unusual for me to be multiple states away. I think being able to send a text message when the cell towers could be overwhelmed or down and when I don’t have access to WiFi would be useful.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    not unusual for me to be multiple states away. I think being able to send a text message when the cell towers could be overwhelmed or down and when I don’t have access to WiFi would be useful.

multiple states away and no cell service or wifi or SATCOM (presume no access to POTS either?) means you are 1) going to rely on availability of internet infrastructure or 2) require HF radio with big antenna/power. SATCOM like you mentioned with subscriber fee is about the only other option.

If you assume the world still has an internet backbone, ham DMR (digital Mobile Radio) can get you some national coverage for voice with a <$100 handheld radio provided you are in range of a DMR repeater. I take my $85 handheld DMR radio when I travel for work or on vacation, and often talk with friends back here in IN. But there are big gaps in coverage, especially if not near a decent sized city. Getting a text message through over multiple internet bridges is not likely, and sort of frowned upon.

No cell, no internet, no SATCOM leaves POTS or HF.

It would be like the dark ages. Or at least the 1980s.

"Health and Welfare" traffic is one of the things ham operators like to think we are useful for. If you are in NY on business and it gets bombed, find a ham at a red cross station who could find another operator here in IN willing to call your wife and say "He's alive" is one of those last-ditch comms methods.

Now, if we presume the only issue is one end has lost cell service, but still has internet/power, then I think there are ways to email to/from SMS numbers. Or at least there used to be.

-rvb

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    multiple states away and no cell service or wifi or SATCOM (presume no access to POTS either?) means you are 1) going to rely on availability of internet infrastructure or 2) require HF radio with big antenna/power. SATCOM like you mentioned with subscriber fee is about the only other option.

If you assume the world still has an internet backbone, ham DMR (digital Mobile Radio) can get you some national coverage for voice with a <$100 handheld radio provided you are in range of a DMR repeater. I take my $85 handheld DMR radio when I travel for work or on vacation, and often talk with friends back here in IN. But there are big gaps in coverage, especially if not near a decent sized city. Getting a text message through over multiple internet bridges is not likely, and sort of frowned upon.

No cell, no internet, no SATCOM leaves POTS or HF.

It would be like the dark ages. Or at least the 1980s.

"Health and Welfare" traffic is one of the things ham operators like to think we are useful for. If you are in NY on business and it gets bombed, find a ham at a red cross station who could find another operator here in IN willing to call your wife and say "He's alive" is one of those last-ditch comms methods.

Now, if we presume the only issue is one end has lost cell service, but still has internet/power, then I think there are ways to email to/from SMS numbers. Or at least there used to be.

-rvb
    Thank you for the well thought answer. I’ll weigh my options.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We are so used to having cell service, the internet, and electricity, it's hard to imagine being without them. Several states away? You may not be able to get fuel to get home. We won't even be able to summon a super-hero! :)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I travel now and then for work as well. Usually either the DC Metro area or south-central Kentucky. My back-home communication order is:
    1) txt message
    2) phone call (cell phones and/or local numbers. I have access to several to try from both locations)
    3) email (various accounts, and I have several ways to access mine, and she her's).
    4) Ham (I know of a couple options from both locations to some locals)

In any case, it is really more of a "I'm fine, and on my way back. Stick to the plan. Love ya', bye." Even if she doesn't hear from me, we both know the plan.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    We are so used to having cell service, the internet, and electricity, it's hard to imagine being without them. Several states away? You may not be able to get fuel to get home. We won't even be able to summon a super-hero! :)

yea, we are very accustomed to our way of iLife, and it's amazing how different it is from just 20 yrs ago. I remember driving out to my first college internship in Maryland, stopping 2 or 3 times to find a payphone and let my folks know the trip was going ok. that was 1999. Cell phones were becoming somewhat common, but I didn't have one yet (poor college kid). Roaming charges would have been brutal. Good luck finding a pay phone now. certainly no internet on phones then, unless you count using the house line to dial-up to the ISP. :)

of course, at that time hams were using auto-patch to connect into the phone system. There are still a handful of repeaters that do autopatch, but becoming pretty rare. Most are not published, limited to club member use, etc. I've never done autopatch. But that's another possibility the OP could consider, another trick up your sleeve so to speak. Would be voice, not text.

-rvb

Last edited:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    This was actually an issue during Katrina. Read up on it. Cell calls were out, but texting pagers were not overwhelmed. AARs among government entities established that those who had texting skills got much more done. Nowadays, every 5 year old has these skills.

nwihiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2018
    Lake County
    This was actually an issue during Katrina. Read up on it. Cell calls were out, but texting pagers were not overwhelmed. AARs among government entities established that those who had texting skills got much more done. Nowadays, every 5 year old has these skills.
    What are some good resources on people's experiences during Katrina? Not just with comms necesarily but the event as a whole. This is an interesting topic.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    They’ve since been bought by Garmin, and it’s now the Garmin InReach. That’s the unit I’ve been looking at. How do you like it?
    Mine is a DeLorme version also that I use while backpacking. I rarely text because of the cost (I use the cheapest plan), but it can be done if you're patient. It is supposedly much easier if you pair it with their app on your smartphone, but I've never bothered to install that. As long as you aren't in a building/ravine and can get a sat signal, it will send the text. There is 140 character limit.

What are some good resources on people's experiences during Katrina? Not just with comms necesarily but the event as a whole. This is an interesting topic.
    I was down in Jackson, MS, the weekend following and we did manage to get a call out after a few attempts thankfully. I actually got my first cell phone before I went back shortly thereafter and never had trouble reaching my wife while on the MS coast. I was mostly near Gulfport and Waveland. Pretty eerie seeing total devastation for miles.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom