Travel in Europe...Improvised weapon ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I am not in the habit of travelling in places where I cannot be armed in the most effective fashion, but it may be difficult to take a firearm along on an upcoming trip through Ireland, England, France ect. Any clever ideas?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Coin sap is what I take. Others take small knives, some use canes.

The most important by far is situational awareness and good shoes.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    tenor.gif

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am not in the habit of travelling in places where I cannot be armed in the most effective fashion, but it may be difficult to take a firearm along on an upcoming trip through Ireland, England, France ect. Any clever ideas?

In my understanding, their backwards system would say that ANY item may be considered a weapon if you intend it to be one. Even a harmless item like a roll of quarters is a weapon if you fess up to the bobby that it is why you have it. So if anyone asks, its a good luck charm. Nothing more.

EDIT: Speaking specifically about (not so great) Britain.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you want to know what you are able to carry or what you are legally allowed to carry?

The laws are very different in each European countries.In some you can legally carry guns, knives, pepper spray etc ... just like in the States (with even more freedom than some US states).
    In others they are highly restricted, especially in the UK where I believe pepper spray is classified as a firearm.Even off duty cops can't carry a can of pepper spray.

If you want something legal to carry anywhere in Europe you will probably be limited to a bright sturdy flashlight (fist load, impact weapon, blind people at night etc).

Possibly a pen.

You could also buy a weapon once you get there but then again what you can legally buy varies depending on the country.
    In Poland you need a licence to buy a baton or a baseball bat ... in the UK you can't buy pepper spray, in France you can find shops that sell a bunch of things to anyone over 18.

If you think that your safety is more important than following the law then options are limitless.

You might also think about first aid as it's part of personnal protection and prepaparedness.
    And it's not just usefull if you get attacked.

Carrying a trauma kit is legal anywhere, including on planes.Just be careful if you have a needle in your kit.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do you want to know what you are able to carry or what you are legally allowed to carry?

The laws are very different in each European countries.In some you can legally carry guns, knives, pepper spray etc ... just like in the States (with even more freedom than some US states).
    In others they are highly restricted, especially in the UK where I believe pepper spray is classified as a firearm.Even off duty cops can't carry a can of pepper spray.

If you want something legal to carry anywhere in Europe you will probably be limited to a bright sturdy flashlight (fist load, impact weapon, blind people at night etc).

Possibly a pen.

You could also buy a weapon once you get there but then again what you can legally buy varies depending on the country.
    In Poland you need a licence to buy a baton or a baseball bat ... in the UK you can't buy pepper spray, in France you can find shops that sell a bunch of things to anyone over 18.

If you think that your safety is more important than following the law then options are limitless.

You might also think about first aid as it's part of personnal protection and prepaparedness.
    And it's not just usefull if you get attacked.

Carrying a trauma kit is legal anywhere, including on planes.Just be careful if you have a needle in your kit.

This entire post just makes me cringe and sad.

Who would leave the US for such a place

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In my understanding, their backwards system would say that ANY item may be a weapon if you intend it to be one. Even a harmless item like a roll of quarters is a weapon if you fess up to the bobby that it is why you have it. So if anyone asks, its a good luck charm. Nothing more.

Once again it depends on the country.The EU is a group of 27 countries with different laws.
    In some anything intended to be used as a weapon will be classified as a weapon like you said, in others you will have to use it as a weapon for it to become a weapon.

I saw a British cop stopping a car in a documentary, the driver had a baseball bat in the trunk of his car.
    The cop asked "Why do you have a bat in your car?" ... the driver answered "It's for protection", and the cop said "Wrong answer" and he arrested the guy. :rolleyes:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Once again it depends on the country.The EU is a group of 27 countries with different laws.
    In some anything intended to be used as a weapon will be classified as a weapon like you said, in others you will have to use it as a weapon for it to become a weapon.

I saw a British cop stopping a car in a documentary, the driver had a baseball bat in the trunk of his car.
    The cop asked "Why do you have a bat in your car?" ... the driver answered "It's for protection", and the cop said "Wrong answer" and he arrested the guy. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was speaking specifically to Great Britain.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Who would leave the free part of the US for such a place

FIFY

To be fair some part of the US have even more restricted laws than some European countries, that's the sadest part.
    You can get arrested for having a knife with a blade over three inches in Chicago, knife laws are not better in NY.
    You can't carry a gun in DC, or even own "assault rifles" in your house there.
    And of course most European countries have better firearms laws than California.AR 15 with 30 rounds mags are legal in France, not in California ... or DC.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

I bought a coin sap last year based on BBIs recommendation and I too now highly recommend it. I've taken it with me when traveling on business in Chicago and NYC.

It's handmade by Todd Foster at Foster Impact Devices. The have a couple different configurations but I went with the classic size with pinky ring. I emailed him with the size and style and I had it in hand in within 3 days.

The ring does sometimes stick out of a jeans pocket, but they do offer a compact version that is 1/2 inch shorter.

d03bd2c23dfe9e1bb3092a90d9151006.jpg

Pic is from the website, but same one I have.

It's nice because you can bring it through the airport security and have it with you on the plane, unlike a pocket knife.

I recommend sending it through the x-ray machine in the tray with your wallet and belt. The first few times I stuck it in my carry on, but a big mass of metal objects (coins) always caused TSA to pull the bag for a closer inspection. It's just easier to keep it out so they can open it up without going through the whole bag.

It does draw some curious looks from people when they see it, but I take it with me to concerts, sporting events and any other place where there is "security" and a metal detector. If anybody asks I say, "it's a coin purse." Once people see the coins inside they send me on my way.

A good tactical flashlight is also a must have for travel, or going anywhere that doesn't allow weapons.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Ah, that brings me back to the Navy Days.
    No weapons in foreign ports.
    In the years before I joined, sailors in navy dress uniforms would roll quarters in their neckerchiefs.
    When I was in, I didn't wear dress uniform overseas. In fact, rarely in the states. I think I wore it once in the 3.5 years aboard the sub. When we were presented a meritorious unit citation.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Given the state of affairs in the UK, I'll be avoid it (probably forever). I like Eastern Europe far better. It's probably even safer.

In the UK, even verbal defense may or may not be legal.

The best tips are to avoid sketchy areas and always have situational awareness.

Carry a "burn wallet" and be ready to toss it left, and run screaming right.

Oh, and if you don't have a good flashlight, get one.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Umbrella? One with a pointy end! Agree about flashlight. Lots of AA or C123 Lithium models that are bright. I would avoid the scallop front mods though. Mini Mag makes a cheap and solid model. Now they are LED available. Throwaway folding knife on the cheap.(of course within the law, or pass on that). Sprays can always blow back on you. If you fly, you can mail your knife home, or toss it. (that's why I suggest only cheapie-disposable) Steak knife from dollar store. Use cardboard and tape for a sheath. Same toss option.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'd tend to eschew the steak knife and cardboard - that's going to be real hard to explain if questioned. At least with a folder, it's arguably a tool (outside of the UK).

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'd tend to eschew the steak knife and cardboard - that's going to be real hard to explain if questioned. At least with a folder, it's arguably a tool (outside of the UK).

Carrying a folding knife is legal in several EU countries.

In the UK you can carry a knife as long as it's non-locking, and I think they have a blade lenght limit as well.

You can carry a Swiss Army Knife pretty much anywhere in Europe.

You shouldn't have any problem carrying a big ass Opinel in France, especially if it's mainly a tool to open a wine bottle.

It might be even a good souvenir.They are sold everywhere (supermarket, sporting good stores, cafés etc).
    Plus if you just bought it during your trip it's a good enough reason to carry it.

search

11087.jpg

If you like hiking and looking for mushrooms you can even carry this one ...

prod_photo1_39534_1487337508.jpg

search

search

Laguiolle knives are also very popular and sold everywhere in France as a souvenir.

3163181476a558cf1dbb501529fd77ae.jpg

That knife is apparently "UK legal" ...

lansky-madrock-world-legal-slip-joint-knife-7466-p.jpg

There's a long tradition of knife making and carrying knives in Europe.You can find large knife stores everywhere.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Good information. My family and I plan a 2019 trip to the UK. Their laws are backwards...but I have spent so much time there my family wants to see what I've seen.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good information. My family and I plan a 2019 trip to the UK. Their laws are backwards...but I have spent so much time there my family wants to see what I've seen.

Just go to Wee Britain - they'll never know the difference.

[video=youtube;95QeRGbVqBY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95QeRGbVqBY[/video]

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In

Who would leave the US for such a place

I still have friends overseas from my Army Days, they ask me the same thing. They see stories on the News and think every school is a target gallery, cops kill all black people, etc, etc, etc. I remember being in Korea as a kid in the late 70's, remember all the rioting and protests in the streets, heck I was in Seoul, ground zero and it didn't impact us at all. I still went "out on the economic", as we said back than when leaving the Base, and had no issues. The News coverage in the States put a different Spin on facts, would get calls from the relatives in the States worried about our Safety.

What is more likely, you die in a car accident or die from a terrorist attack?

Top Bottom