Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Are you reading comprehension disabled?
    I all too often ran out of talent well before the exit of the turn. (© Señor Mouse)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alpo View Post
    Are you reading comprehension disabled?
    No, but I'm afraid I might be satire-disabled.
    Is it me? It's them, right?

User Info Menu

Let me keep the money stolen from me every paycheck and save/invest it myself. /thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Get outta my damn yard.......
    Quote Originally Posted by db1959 View Post
    The wind likes to blow my balls around.
    I will not give, not one more inch. No more compromise. From my cold dead hands.

GOA Member

One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. --Thomas Jefferson

A HAM with a radio, and nothing to say.

User Info Menu

It's not secure, it's not insurance.

It's essentially a Ponzi scheme, albeit one far less likely to collapse quickly because gun (i.e. you are compelled to contribute by the government if you want to earn and eat).

Show of hands: who here would actually participate if you could opt out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin
    Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tench Coxe
    Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American ... the unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blakstone
    It is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d.kaufman View Post
    First, i don't see Social security as an entitlement. Some do abuse the system thats for sure. Ive been paying into it for 30 years now. I wont be eligible till 2038. Guess im screwed, but i already knew that. There needs to be a way to recoup the money that people have been putting into it. One giant ponzi scheme! Actually surprised they've been able to carry the scheme this long.
    If I remember my American History correctly it wasn't a "Ponzi Scheme" until the administration of a certain long-dead president when the CASH on deposit with the government was replaced with a government IOU so those funds could be used "elsewhere". Then the IOU was itself replaced with an equal value of Treasury Bonds. Did I get this timeline right?

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ark View Post
    This country coughed up trillions of dollars for the GWOT while passing massive tax cuts for the wealthy. Medicare and Social Security aren't going to "go away". We'll just pay for them with deficit spending like anything else until somebody comes to their senses and raises taxes to match the demand on the system.

Either we do modest increases in revenue and modest tweaks to benefits now, or we do harsh increases in revenue and decreases in benefits later. Either way, the programs aren't going to "go away" unless some clown manages to privatize them.

Of course, the Medicare funds would go a lot further if Medicare was allowed to negotiate drug prices instead of paying massive, profit-inflating sticker prices, or if Medicare was the only payer in the land and could therefore dictate more reasonable service prices instead of paying $55 per ibuprofen pill in the ER, but that's crazy talk.

There are much higher-ranked items on my worry list. Besides, in the ultimate SHTF, all industrialized healthcare operations cease and everyone who is dependent on recurring care or recurring medication simply dies in short order.
    2 words................flat tax.

User Info Menu

all good info and sadly all true.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BluedSteel View Post
    If I remember my American History correctly it wasn't a "Ponzi Scheme" until the administration of a certain long-dead president when the CASH on deposit with the government was replaced with a government IOU so those funds could be used "elsewhere". Then the IOU was itself replaced with an equal value of Treasury Bonds. Did I get this timeline right?
    There is no difference in a Federal Reserve Note and a Treasury Bond. We are not on the gold standard.
    I all too often ran out of talent well before the exit of the turn. (© Señor Mouse)

User Info Menu

As someone who will most likely never receive any of these benefits (age 25 and younger) I would honestly like the option to opt out of social security.
    Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post
    Dude, from what I can tell from your photos, you don't do anything bargin bin.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Crail View Post
    As someone who will most likely never receive any of these benefits (age 25 and younger) I would honestly like the option to opt out of social security.
    heck I'm 54 and I'd like the option to get out of it

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast