• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I wanted to put this in the disaster preparedness section because of the subject matter. It's just an interesting story, but also an inspirational one. It lies at the mindset we should have if we are to survive during a disaster. Personally I think it is a mindset we should have in our daily lives as well. I almost put it in the political section because of this, and the fact that so many people these days fail to think this way. We must have the ability to adjust to our surroundings, and make due with what is what is around us. Stockpiling supplies in nice, but learning skills is better. Having a never say die attitude is best.

I wanted to start a discussion on thoughts of the way people think, and how it effects their chance of survival. A lot has been said about kids growing up getting participation trophies, and not being prepared for actual daily life. Sadly, I believe this to be true. How much more true if life throws a twist at you, and you are in a survival situation? I think the will to adjust to the curve balls life throws at you is very important.

reSmUFP.jpg

This is Jim Thorpe. Look closely at the photo, you can see that he's wearing different socks and shoes. This wasn't a fashion statement. It was the 1912 Olympics, and Jim, an American Indian from Oklahoma represented the United States in track and field. On the morning of his competitions, his shoes were stolen. Luckily, Jim ended up finding two shoes in a garbage can. That's the pair that he's wearing in the photo. However, one of the shoes was too big, so he had to wear an extra sock. Wearing these shoes, Jim won two gold medals that day.

This is a perfect reminder that you don't have to resign yourself to the excuses that have held you back. So what if life hasn't been fair? What are you going to do about it today? Whatever you woke up with this morning; stolen shoes, ill health, failed relationships... don't let it stop you from running your race. You can experience more in life if you'll get over the excuses, and get on with living.

You can have reasons, or you can have results. You can't have both.

Top Bottom