• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am uncertain if I have been ordered, but let's say it was highly recommended that I have a 3 day "go bag" on hand. Given my present assignment, if it hits the fan (flood, earthquake, airline goes down in Brown County, Godzilla attacks Battle Ground, whatever), it is extremely probable that my group would go.

My martial arts teacher, SF 1st Group vet with oodles of experience in this stuff, recommended my pack (5.11 72 hour Pack, oh, man, high speed stuff). "Well, Kirk, you have a 5.11 range bag so it all balances."

However, in discussing poncho liners, he recommended Hill People Gear's Mountain Serape. Have not coonfingered one.

https://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/4/ProductID/19

Anyone have experience with one? Will it roll up to fit on my pack? Or, do I just Molle strap it on?

If you have it, do you like it? What to look at as well? What say you?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have 3 mountain serapes from HPG, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. HPG is good kit, most, if not all, tested in the worst environments possible. Th Mountain Serape does not pack as easily as an issue “woobie”, but it will pack small enough for a 3-day pack. They are warm, repel water to a point, and give more freedom of motion than an issue poncho/poncho liner combo. It’s also a bit pricey for the normal everyday camper, but well worth the funds.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Anyone have experience with one? Will it roll up to fit on my pack? Or, do I just Molle strap it on?

If you have it, do you like it? What to look at as well? What say you?

Great piece of gear and quality materials and workmanship.

Sleeping Bag Mode – this was my primary motivation behind the purchase as I needed a new summer/fall bag. I have used this down to 40 degrees in a tent wearing lightweight long johns and a wool hat. Have also used in a bivy bag with a poncho tarp. Very flexible in warmer temperatures. The half zipped portion works well. One trick if it is colder is not to lay it out like a rectangular bag but to put the seam in the bottom middle (i.e. seam down your spine) then you won’t have heat escaping out the open side.

Poncho Mode – great to wake up in the morning after a cold night and go from sleeping bag mode to poncho mode while having breakfast and breaking camp. Everyone else was whining and moaning about the cold and I was warm and comfy. So quick, simply unzip from sleeping bag mode, stick your head through the hole and you are dressed. I liked the medium version and feel like the regular (longer) version would drag on the corners in poncho mode as I was up and down fixing breakfast and packing up.

Great Coat Mode – only did a couple times inside the house. Not very intuitive so would take some practice but once you learned it I am sure it is easier. This mode would eliminate the dragging corners issue of the poncho mode.

Rain Poncho Combination – not quite the same measurements as my poncho. If walking in the rain I would probably put the Serape in great coat mode so edges would not get wet.

Woobie – the Serape does not even compare to a regular military issue poncho liner other than color. Far better construction. Better materials and while not tested by me is supposed to shed some water. Significantly warmer. Poncho/Coat mode with a hood is a great option if cold.

Sizing – I went with the Medium version and am 6’0” and 170#. Glad I chose this size as noted in my comments about poncho mode above. Kept me plenty warm in sleeping bag mode and not sure the extra length would really extend the comfort range in cold weather. The Medium may pack a little smaller too.

Pack Size – Will measure mine in a stuff sack tonight and post. It goes down to a reasonable size and could easily be strapped onto your bag. Probably about the size of a loaf of bread. With a compression sack might even be able to fit inside although I would not store it long term compressed. I use a waterproof stuff stack.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Here is another similar option although colors are not very tactical unless Godzilla is color blind.

https://www.thermarest.com/catalog/product/view/id/16680/s/honcho-poncho/category/15/

"Out of stock"

HPG does not keep a lot of inventory so it takes some patience to get some of their gear. Their forum says there was a zipper supply problem that has been resolved so stock should be coming back. Get on their email wait list for notification. Finally, be patient which is frustrating in these days of click and ship with next day delivery.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I don't think I have a deadline on this (maybe I should check) so my main concern is to not let inertia set in and keep pressing forward on this.

Don't think I am allowed gray but given our mission it is unlikely that they will downcheck me for a non-reg color. Check on that too.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    However, in discussing poncho liners, he recommended Hill People Gear's Mountain Serape.

What is your goal/need for this piece of equipment? If it is merely a blanket/sleeping insulation then the Serape might be overkill. Depending on weather you might get by with a poncho liner, SnugPak Jungle Blanket, cheap sleeping bag or something else light and warm for sleeping.

Since this is a 72 hour bag chances are as you grab your Go Bag you will be wearing season appropriate outerwear so having an insulation layer like the Serape that you can wear may not be as critical.

All that said, if you will be sleeping in unsheltered, crappy, wet conditions this upgrade may be nice. If you are assigned watch duty and standing/sitting outdoors for an extended period of time being snuggled up in something warm and wearable could be good. Plus the color/shape may assist in camouflaging your position. Still like my Serape and happy with the purchase and multi use ability of the product.

Pack Size – Will measure mine in a stuff sack tonight and post. It goes down to a reasonable size and could easily be strapped onto your bag. Probably about the size of a loaf of bread. With a compression sack might even be able to fit inside although I would not store it long term compressed. I use a waterproof stuff stack.

Stuffed and measured. Easily fit in a 7"x15" stuff sack without much effort. Also fit in an Osprey 12L Drysack easily. If you were motivated you could use smaller stuff sacks or a compression sack. Too lazy to learn how to post photos but PM me if you want a photo of it stuffed.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What is your goal/need for this piece of equipment?

Substitute sleeping bag, woobie and man tent for standing watch.

If we get called, as I have a non-medical gig, I'll either be at a table at the HQ talking on a phone and typing, or standing watch where it is dark and cold.

My dad always used to say "it is always cold when you have to work on the car". I anticipate it sucking.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Substitute sleeping bag, woobie and man tent for standing watch.

If we get called, as I have a non-medical gig, I'll either be at a table at the HQ talking on a phone and typing, or standing watch where it is dark and cold.

My dad always used to say "it is always cold when you have to work on the car". I anticipate it sucking.
    May I ask what a soft handed lawyer is doing that he may get “called” and have to stand watch? You’re not growing a beard and going all militia on us are you?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    May I ask what a soft handed lawyer is doing that he may get “called” and have to stand watch? You’re not growing a beard and going all militia on us are you?

Well, you guys should know since you were so nice to answer, but JAG Liasion Officer for the 19th Medical Regiment, IGR.

You know, I thought I was going to go to the Armory and type and talk on the phone. "More coffee, Colonel?"

But as "in house counsel" for the doctors, dentists, nurses, EMTs and even vets (both small and large critter), I do get some great medical training to earn my patch (soooo much I do not know) AND an incentive to run and take it a click down or two on the beer.:D

Saturday at drill a Lt. from one of the Search & Rescue units came and talked to us about his search and rescue packs. A CWO from HQ did a gear demonstration and then the BG gave a talk about the last call out (flooded hospital in Columbus) and "highly recommended" that we be prepared. So, I assume that is order, or like one click below.

I cannot imagine if there is a disaster, natural or otherwise, me going out. I would think I would be pulled into HQ and permanently attached to a desk, but the man said "be ready", soooo I gotta get ready. I mean, if I am going to do this, might as well go all in, yes?

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Well, you guys should know since you were so nice to answer, but JAG Liasion Officer for the 19th Medical Regiment, IGR.

You know, I thought I was going to go to the Armory and type and talk on the phone. "More coffee, Colonel?"

But as "in house counsel" for the doctors, dentists, nurses, EMTs and even vets (both small and large critter), I do get some great medical training to earn my patch (soooo much I do not know) AND an incentive to run and take it a click down or two on the beer.:D

Saturday at drill a Lt. from one of the Search & Rescue units came and talked to us about his search and rescue packs. A CWO from HQ did a gear demonstration and then the BG gave a talk about the last call out (flooded hospital in Columbus) and "highly recommended" that we be prepared. So, I assume that is order, or like one click below.

I cannot imagine if there is a disaster, natural or otherwise, me going out. I would think I would be pulled into HQ and permanently attached to a desk, but the man said "be ready", soooo I gotta get ready. I mean, if I am going to do this, might as well go all in, yes?
    Way more disappointing than Command Sergeant General Kirk Freeman of the 21st Neckbeard Brigade. Good on you for volunteering for this. You definitely need a Mountain Serape for that, as well as the biggest damned coffee mug you can acquire.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I admit to have used your 'live 2 clicks down so you can retire 1 click up' line with my sons. Uncle Kirk does have his moments. :yesway::yesway:

That is my dad's line.

Can afford the McMansion in the 'burbs with the 4 car garage and the "bonus room"? Ok, then 2 clicks down=buy the older house in the established 'hood and throw the difference in a SEP/SIMPLE/401K.

Smartest thing I have ever done is take that advice to heart.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Having spent more time than I thought was strictly necessary living in "the field" as an Army Aviator, I've found the poncho to be a poor substitute for quality raingear and a couple layers of insulation. My emergency bag for cold weather has two poncho liners sewn together with a layer of mylar in between and a sleeping bag zipper sewn around three sides. Fits in the bottom of my Vertex18hr pack. And, for your purposes, KF, it's "regulation" colors.

And, not only is it "always cold when you have to work on the car," it's always either raining or snowing, too. . .

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    For the cheapest possible alternative follow Blackhawk2001's suggestion. If you can find one, Tactical Taylor used to carry the equivalent of this, but it's long since been dropped from their website; although you can still special order one through the custom shop. Or find a friendly Ranger; apparently they used to make their own...

There is an alternative from Kifaru that I recommend. https://store.kifaru.net/woobie-p72.aspx
    It comes in your choice of insulation weights ['woobie' or 'doobie'] and comes with a water resistant shell. Mine is OD/Coyote which may or may not pass muster with your particular chain of command.... It easily fits into my "sustainment" pouch but your mileage may vary.
    The downside: the thicker 'doobie' will set you back as much as the mountain serape - the woobie is $50 less. But frankly it doesn't take more than a couple of cold nights to make you wish you'd spent the extra money.

Top Bottom