• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    I have viewed many sources that claim communicating with neighbors to establish a community of preppers is a good idea. If you had neighbors like mine, you may disagree. My neighborhood is very quiet and safe, but my neighbors are very private, and do not communicate at all with each other. Some even seem stuck up, and none of them seem approachable. I am very cautious of who I approach about prepping and maybe a bit paranoid in discussing my preps. How do you approach neighbors who do not want to be bothered? My best guess is to leave them alone and keep things civil. Who knows, maybe they are all preppers and feeling the same way. Any thoughts?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Leave them alone. If you cant even establish a casual friendship with them, they are not likely to be helpful when they SHTF. And even mentioning it to them could make them a liability. Personally I wouldnt want to take the chance that some rando I've barely interacted with more than a courtesy wave on the way to the mailbox might see me as an asset... and I would see him as a burden. You know, a conversation that would be something like this.

You: *Shows the neighbor the supplies* "And our family has enough to last 3 months down here."
    Them: "Impressive! You are prepared. I know where *I* am going when the end of the world arrives. After all you have 3 months worth of provisions!"
    You: (Sternly) "No, No you arent."
    Them: (incredulous) "But you said you had 3 months of supplies! That is more than enough for all of us!"
    You: "No, WE have enough for US to last 3 months. If you show up your large family will drag us down to under 30 days since you have nothing to contribute. I'm sorry, but you are not welcome. But I can show you how you too can be this prepared."
    Them: "Man, how rude. You have no compassion! Good day sir!" *storms off*

And from that point forward, they see you as two things:
    First, today in good times as a selfish insensitive greedy bastard who only cares about himself. (they will conveniently miss your offer to help them help themselves).
    Second, in bad times they will see you as a source of supplies when they get desperate. As in coming to forcibly STEAL what they are now desperate for weeks after not having any provisions. And possibly teaming up with others who share their [STRIKE]misfortune[/STRIKE] poor planning.

BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte
    Exactly my thinking. The last thing I want to do is make myself a target for the unprepared or dishonest. Its been 5 years I've lived here and nobody on the block is friendly, best bet is to keep things as they are.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Leave them be. It's nothing personal.
    Personally, I'm not very neighborly. I'm nice, I smile, I wave, the occasional "how are ya" over the fence. But I have no interest in being pals or see any of them on a regular basis. If I see someone breaking into their homes or if o see suspicious behavior, I'll intervene or call the police. But I didn't buy my house to be thier buddy. Again it's nothing personal, its a lack of interest.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    im in a different situation, my inlaws have 3 daughters, all 4 families live on the farm with in 150 yards from each other. there are 13 kids from 15 to new born. we all get along and have a corn maze in the fall with other things through out the year. i lived in fort wayne for 8 months then had to get out.

CKW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    We have set ourselves up to support our immediate family is a crisis. There are a few around us that know we are prepared and would be welcomed as they are good neighbors with skills and not afraid to lend a hand. Seriously good people. They all come to our place to play when the granddaughters are out side. There is interaction among us. There have been conversations along these lines. We all know there is strength in numbers.

Beyond that we as a family will be looking out for our own.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I live in on the edge of a small town about 10 miles east of Indpls. Kinda like living in 1964. Most people smile and wave to one another and the bank tellers and grocery clerks know me by my 1st name. Great place and way to live in pleasant times. But should the SHTF, I have no doubt all that would change. While my neighbors and I are very pleasant to each other, they have no idea about my prepping, nor will they. Desperate times can for desperate measures and I have no doubt that those "pleasantries" would become very ugly after 4 or 5 days with no food, water, or power available. I do not discuss my prepping with any of them and they have observed and commented on my occasional OC. Some of them think I might be a bit eccentric and that is just fine with me. More then a few times, we have had conversations about self protection and keeping the bad guys at bay. Well, I am sorry to say that in the worst case scenario, they will become the "bad guys". I cannot and will not put me and mine in in bad way just because they were "nice neighbors". If they have something to bring to the party, great! If not, well I will make the hard decisions that will keep me and mine safe and secure.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'd screen very carefully. I'm very fortunate to have good neighbors on all four sides. In fact my entire neighborhood of 25 or so houses is pretty good. Even though they are good people I don't want to have to provide for them and I won't.

The truth is if you are a prepper sooner or later you will become a target.

CKW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'd screen very carefully. I'm very fortunate to have good neighbors on all four sides. In fact my entire neighborhood of 25 or so houses is pretty good. Even though they are good people I don't want to have to provide for them and I won't.

The truth is if you are a prepper sooner or later you will become a target.

This is so true. When we decided to become prepared we knew that being open about it was not the best. My husbands family were never much prepared past today and they were the We will be coming to your house people. That is what made it obvious to us that becoming grey was most important.

But my problem would be the kids. There is not one of us that could let a child starve. Especially my husband.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    We're friendly with as many neighbors as we can be. Even FB friends with a handful of them. I'll text some of them every once in a while if I need to borrow something - and vice-versa.

But none of them are in my house to "see" things. And I'm OK with that. All it takes is a semi-inebriated conversation one of them may have with one of THEIR friends, or someone at a get-together, and then suddenly my house is a potential target. Loose lips really do sink ships.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Some people seem stuck up until you talk to them.

Storms, power outages, crime, etc are all good opportunity's ask your neighbors if they need anything. I do not socialize with any of our neighbors other than talking about kids and HOA things. But I often offer help with tree clean up, notify them of open garage doors after dark, check on sump pumps when power is out ect. Humanity is better when we all go out of our way to help others imo.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    A mutual support group doesn't have to be all neighbors. Ours has a few neighbors and a few families from our church. We trust each other enough to share prep inventories and communication equipment. We have room for other believing neighbors with needed skills (farming, hunting). We already have medical, repair, gardening, food preservation and prep, wild edibles and medicinals, comms, water prep, military, and transportation skills covered, along with alternate locations. More = better up to a point - gotta have enough people to fill all the watch billets.

My wife used to be one of those loose lips - whenever the topic came up of preparation, she would "keep the conversation going" by talking about her husband "being one of those preppers." Thanks to my efforts and those of our children (who understand this sort of thing), she now knows what OPSEC is and why it is important.

Our answer to inquiries: We will consider your application depending on your skills and supplies and beliefs. Don't have any? Here's a can of peaches and a box of 9 mm. Good luck. We will pray for you. Don't come back.

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    As suggested, proceed with caution. Based on many previous posts, I'm sorry to say there are people on this forum who I wouldn't trust with any info about my preparedness or lack thereof, let alone most of my neighbors.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Here in the woods the only neighbors I have are deer and squirrels. I figure I'll eat them if times get bad.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Point to make, if SHTF and you aren't leaving your neighborhood your surviving will not go unnoticed and anyone in the neighborhood who is not prepared will become a concern.

“The hot summer day, power has been out for days, an elderly or aged individual from your neighborhood comes over to ask for some ice or a cold drink for their spouse, reports that someone has heard your generator running and would just love to have some ice or a cold drink, they offer a warm replacement, you are then faced with a reveal or a snub..”

"Winter time, cold neighbor, come in to warm up, borrow some fuel, etc.."

CKW

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2018
    Indianapolis
    As suggested, proceed with caution. Based on many previous posts, I'm sorry to say there are people on this forum who I wouldn't trust with any info about my preparedness or lack thereof, let alone most of my neighbors.

I guess I am not seeing this as you do.
    We most all say to stay gray. Not sure what your point is.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I don't care about giving information to forum members, no deal at all.

I won't give my POSITION away...

If you know me well, then you are probably welcome with the understanding everyone works to the best of their abilities...
    (World class performance isn't required or I'd have to shoot myself)

Early on when I got solar up and running well, I allowed several people to visit, gave my position away.
    The invited/interested people showed up, but uninvited people showed up also.
    Then came the IDIOTS that think RE/Solar shouldn't happen...
    I got threats about 'Hippie Commune' and rants about what solar panels are doing TO the sun,
    Then I got solar panels shot out.
    The dangerous end of the tin foil hat bunch. Local law caught that particular pair of idiots, but the idea of some internet psycho showing up and shooting unnerved me.

Keep in mind, I live in an area where 'Extreme' views are tolerated...
    Just down the road about 30 miles, trailer park NAZIs,
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/matth...ned-trailer-brawl?source=facebook&via=desktop

There is another group about 30 miles or so south of me...

Since there was literally a world war fought to defeat NAZIs, it's NOT 'OK' to be a NAZI...

If you think solar panels are somehow damaging the sun, then you are WAY too far out there for me to deal with, even though the governor of Texas & state representative have said solar panels are damaging the sun, it doesn't make it true...

If you think growing a garden, home canning & raising some chickens makes for a 'Hippie Commune' (who talks like that anymore?) Then you are way too far out there for me to deal with...

Not everyone can move to the woods (not enough woods), but I did because I wanted it more than town or city living.
    I'm a 'Farmer', don't screw with the people that feed you!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom