• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    I have lived all over the world and even in places where tornadoes occur, but yesterday was the first time my wife and I ever heard a tornado warning horn. My wife yells down to me, "Is that what I think it is?" my reply, "Its either a tornado warning or Bears on bombing approach." She said, "wat" I said "never mind"

So the next 20 minutes are spent getting my earthquake kit set up for tornado kit. I have some questions.. Google had mixed answers.

1- is there a "safer" spot in a basement?
    2- is 282.8 and 243.0 monitored by anyone near Indianapolis?
    3- in the 2 months we have lived in this house we have lost power 4 times... are there any kits that allow the use of a propane generator to vent exhaust outside? or do I have to make my own system? are the "sport generators" good for all day use?
    4- are there any back up generators that are; propane, natural gas and gasoline? Trying to cover all aspects and be cost effective. My plan right now is "have multiple generators on hand."

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Don't know enough to answer 2-4, but for #1 - corners, under structural components of the floor above. Obviously, away from windows and that "walk-out" basement door. However, make sure you have some sort of egress, should the house come down on you.

Lived here my whole life, and had several tornadoes go by "close enough", but I've never worried TOO much. Water, snacks, and my 3-day bag are enough for me. If the house is hit, we will be leaving for quite a while.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Don't know enough to answer 2-4, but for #1 - corners, under structural components of the floor above. Obviously, away from windows and that "walk-out" basement door. However, make sure you have some sort of egress, should the house come down on you.

Lived here my whole life, and had several tornadoes go by "close enough", but I've never worried TOO much. Water, snacks, and my 3-day bag are enough for me. If the house is hit, we will be leaving for quite a while.

I have a 2ft wide, 8ft long and 5ft high area that housed the old well access. It seems pretty secure from stuff above. Its on or part of the foundation wall North side. If the house came down, there are windows on all four sides, but its a gamble which will be available to us. We have no walk out door, the basement access is in the middle of the house.

#2- I'm going to invest in new comm gear...my old PRC-90 isnt gonna cut it. While Military will be in the area after a natural disaster and they will be on those channels, I'd prefer to stay on current civilian use channels.

Thank you

rebarguyindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Spencer, IN
    Depending on the layout of the basement, the stairs are usually one of the strongest structures of the house. You could reinforce the stairs with additional supports and maybe screw on some plywood siding. Although anything is possible in a sever tornado, it is probably more likely that the house will be partially or completely removed from the ground floor/foundation. The chances of the house collapsing into the basement are probably slim but multiple escape routes should still be a priority.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A basement is where all the debris from the house fall.
    You'd need to strengthen one area, and have access to an exit.
    And tools, to help break/dig your way out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    stormshelter.jpg

article-2508787-197A6BB100000578-314_964x698.jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Like others have said, corners in basements. In mine, one particular corner has driveway paving on both outside walls and it is farthest from any large trees which could fall on the house and crush the structure. I have a sturdy work table in that corner which should prevent any serious injury from debris if there were a collapse. My house has weird masonry construction though, outside in cement stucco, clay tile block, thick plaster - no exterior wall voids, and is extra tornado safe. Kinda ballistic safe as well :)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Fyi, it's not always a tornado siren. It's a severe weather siren.

I meant to add, check with the county about the siren's meanings. In Evansville, they have three or four different ones. Traditional "air raid" style is severe weather/tornado. Same repeats for all clear. Long continuous note is test - done every Friday at Noon. And IIRC short repeated blasts at the same pitch indicates chemical-gas-etc.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have lived all over the world and even in places where tornadoes occur, but yesterday was the first time my wife and I ever heard a tornado warning horn. My wife yells down to me, "Is that what I think it is?" my reply, "Its either a tornado warning or Bears on bombing approach." She said, "wat" I said "never mind"

So the next 20 minutes are spent getting my earthquake kit set up for tornado kit. I have some questions.. Google had mixed answers.

1- is there a "safer" spot in a basement?
    2- is 282.8 and 243.0 monitored by anyone near Indianapolis?
    3- in the 2 months we have lived in this house we have lost power 4 times... are there any kits that allow the use of a propane generator to vent exhaust outside? or do I have to make my own system? are the "sport generators" good for all day use?
    4- are there any back up generators that are; propane, natural gas and gasoline? Trying to cover all aspects and be cost effective. My plan right now is "have multiple generators on hand."

1. Depends on direction of winds... most "straightline" winds come from west so west side would be best. Tornado winds change as it passes.

Top Bottom