Make the Toothpick on your Swiss Army Knife Useful - Replace it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Been playing with fire lately and came across these interesting products in the interwebz today. I have not tried these yet, but it looks like one of those cool, "why didn't I think of that," sort of things.

Essentially, they're small ferrocerium rods in a form factor suitable as drop-in replacements for the SAK's toothpick. I figure, I never use the toothpick, so why not replace it with something useful? Wouldn't use as a replacement for a primary ferro rod, but it's an interesting possibility for backup/last ditch sparking capability.

Product categories Firefly Fire Starters »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=5W-3YQRXUM4

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Interesting!

Something that small would be tough to use, though. I've tried with those little rods that in bracelet buckles and the kind you can use to make a necklace and it's tough to make enough sparks to ignite anything that is difficult to light.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just got back from a week in Alaska where my buddy tried to use his Swiss army knife fero rod. And it broke. No spark. No fire. Its simply too small and fragile.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    That's totally fair but... a toothpick? I mean, am I missing something about the value of a plastic toothpick? :D

At least with the ferro-pick there's a CHANCE at being useful.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    That's totally fair but... a toothpick? I mean, am I missing something about the value of a plastic toothpick? :D

At least with the ferro-pick there's a CHANCE at being useful.

I use the plastic toothpick all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Yeah, I've also used the toothpick. Nope, it's not worth the trade-off to me.
    I'm keeping my toothpick !

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was just thinking . . . if you need to use a ferro rod that small and thin, it would be best to have it attached to something. Instead of storing it in the toothpick slot, perhaps attaching it to a scale with epoxy? You would need something else to use as a striker, but it might offer enough support to prevent breakage.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I was just thinking . . . if you need to use a ferro rod that small and thin, it would be best to have it attached to something. Instead of storing it in the toothpick slot, perhaps attaching it to a scale with epoxy? You would need something else to use as a striker, but it might offer enough support to prevent breakage.

That's genius, rhino. Bravo ! :thumbsup:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

A chunk of Magnesium perhaps? You should patent it...

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I thought at the time he was trying to use it, and it broke, that a person could first take a small piece of stick and cut a slit or notch in it and lay the tiny fero rod lengthwise into it, thus supporting it before striking with steel. Just hang onto it with your thumb and start striking!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I thought at the time he was trying to use it, and it broke, that a person could first take a small piece of stick and cut a slit or notch in it and lay the tiny fero rod lengthwise into it, thus supporting it before striking with steel. ...

Great idea.

Top Bottom