• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    So I've been searching for a good takedown bow to add to my kit. I've decided I want a takedown recurve because of the simplicity, and it would be easy to have on a backpack for hikes or bugging out. I've seen the Mandarin Duck "Black Hunter 60in Takedown" reviewed by a few preppers. But I was hoping someone might have some personal input or recommendation for a takedown bow. If not I'll be posting about whichever one I decide to purchase in the near future. Thanks in advance y'all.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    OP - Forgive my being slightly off topic. BUT... If you are an archer or interested in archery, then I get why you are interested in a bow. It is a lot of fun and after A LOT of practice, it's rewarding to take game with one. But if looking for a lightweight means to obtain game, I would go with a lightweight suppressed .22 pistol and a box of subsonics. That would be handy in a lot of situations and about the same weight as a bow, arrows and gear. And your success rate on game would be greatly improved.

The recurve or longbow takes practice. Buying one does not make me an archer any more than buying a violin makes me a violinist.

Fireball1394

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2015
    Northeast Indiana
    DanO,
    I've got a trusted .22 that I like for squirrel and other small game. But I prefer the wider range of a bow and arrow. I'm not gonna take a deer with a .22. And as for experience, I've been more on compound bows lately but I miss a classic recurve and dont want to take a compound with me when hiking. But I appreciate the input. Thank you.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Head shots with 22lr on deer, particularly when spotlighting, is old school poaching. Not that anybody is going to be enforcing game laws in a SHTF situation. I enjoy archery, but in a SHTF situation, my bows will stay in the closet.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Head shots with 22lr on deer, particularly when spotlighting, is old school poaching. Not that anybody is going to be enforcing game laws in a SHTF situation. I enjoy archery, but in a SHTF situation, my bows will stay in the closet.
    Except maybe for clandestine recon. Or deer from the front porch window.:):

.22 is definitely deer capable.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    This is the bow I started with and it has served me quite well. I have 45lb limbs and I got a 32" pull. That arrow will hit! https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-WARDEN-RECURVE/1802691.uts

These Samick are a great deal with models under a buck. And they also have easy access to different limbs. Samick Polaris 66 Takedown Recurve Bow

One day when money is not much of a object, (Yeah right), I'd like to get a Bear. They are awesome. https://www.3riversarchery.com/fred-bear-takedown-recurve-bow.html

Generally the heavier the riser the easier to shoot. I run a bare bow with no counter balance or sights. It's addictive!

BOWTIE72

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2018
    Laporte

My friends have gotten into the crossbow fad lately and firmly believe that a crossbow is their go-to game weapon for shtf... my thoughts are that the crossbow is so big and bulky better to buy a can for a rifle than play with a bow. If one is good at making effective arrows, then a bow could be a good choice. I've just seen so many arrows and bolts break I am not impressed by either string instruments.

Top Bottom