• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    As the title suggests, I am looking for a place around Indy that stocks and sells solar panels and accessories. My duck-foo is letting me down so I am turning to the vast KB that is INGO for suggestions.

Initially this is kind of an experiment to learn, but my end game is to light my house. Most of the rooms in my house do not have a light in the ceiling. So I figured since I have a blank slate, it could be a fun project to outfit my house with DC lighting in the ceiling of each room. Then once I have more knowledge, move on to some things that would require an inverter. I doubt I could power my entire house with solar, but I would like to cut most of the low draw items from the grid and maybe learn a thing or two along the way.

Thank you in advance for the input.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    fred480V on eBay...200W panels for $185 shipped, made in Michigan City. Same panels are for sale for same price via Continuous Resources.

I have two for my barn, will almost certainly buy more. I have four Duracell GC2 6V batteries wired 2 series/2 parallel for a 12V 430Ah bank and an Aims 2000w 12V inverter.

altE online is another good retailer...

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    fred480V on eBay...200W panels for $185 shipped, made in Michigan City. Same panels are for sale for same price via Continuous Resources.

I have two for my barn, will almost certainly buy more. I have four Duracell GC2 6V batteries wired 2 series/2 parallel for a 12V 430Ah bank and an Aims 2000w 12V inverter.

altE online is another good retailer...

Thank you for the info, but I am looking for a brick and mortar to cash and carry panels and related equipment. Since I am new to this, I am looking to do some touchy feely before spending the money. Once comfortable, I will check them out for online purchases.

I was going to recommend Greenway Supply Indy, but apparently they went out of business 7 years ago.

Bummer.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Thank you for the info, but I am looking for a brick and mortar to cash and carry panels and related equipment. Since I am new to this, I am looking to do some touchy feely before spending the money. Once comfortable, I will check them out for online purchases.

Bummer.

I feel ya and agree but most places can't carry stock because of the investment involved and variability of what customers want. There has to be a significant profit margin to be able to absorb the overhead of $1/2mil in stock to provide touchy-feely interaction for something that most of the variation is in the numbers on paper (well, on screen). With the ability to order panels online from the supplier/importer, there isn't enough margin for the middle man. Something like solar panels also isn't something you want sitting around where it could be broken plus it's advancing at such a rate that if it isn't sold, it's obsolete.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My two Hitech 200w panels, wired in series, were making roughly 37V @ 3.4A (125.6W) yesterday on a very overcast afternoon...while laying on the ground as I was wiring everything up.

In full sun testing, they’ve made full rated power of 42V @ 9.5A.

Still need to mount them to the barn roof, but so far very pleased with them...

Top Bottom