• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Fire/smoke reports still coming in, power co shutting off power to entire southern portion of area.

Fox reporting 39 incidents of fire, smoke, or explosion.

Last edited:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had someone who lives in the area posting on a facebook group saying there are an estimated 75 to 100 homes affected. Scary stuff!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I remember a post-apocalypse book that had the natural gas lines of a town taking down the town the people had recently fortified against zombies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I do not like gas.

81dDU2ZTxnL._SY550_.jpg

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    This is 2 towns over from me. 3 towns affected. It looks like it was pretty bad. Close to 100 residences has fires, explosions or leaks. People are still not allowed back to their homes. Had some clients cancel today.
    Seems it was all from one natural gas provider. That provider waited 5 hours before issuing any statement at all.
    Hoping it gets back to normal soon and that the victim toll doesn't rise as they get to the homes. There's one conformed dead and about 13 injured, which sounds low. Tragic for the victims of course. They say they need to go to about 8,500 locations to ensure no leaks......

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is 2 towns over from me. 3 towns affected. It looks like it was pretty bad. Close to 100 residences has fires, explosions or leaks. People are still not allowed back to their homes. Had some clients cancel today.
    Seems it was all from one natural gas provider. That provider waited 5 hours before issuing any statement at all.
    Hoping it gets back to normal soon and that the victim toll doesn't rise as they get to the homes. There's one conformed dead and about 13 injured, which sounds low. Tragic for the victims of course. They say they need to go to about 8,500 locations to ensure no leaks......

I dont mind. Being complete and accurate is better than being first. Better to wait and do it right, than to stand there saying something just to say something and having to correct yourself later.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Stay safe buddy.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I dont mind. Being complete and accurate is better than being first. Better to wait and do it right, than to stand there saying something just to say something and having to correct yourself later.

The statement sucked though. Basically: There's a problem and we have crews out. It was a statement on their website.....No spokesperson, nobody addressing the media (have not really checked today though)

Stay safe buddy.

Thanks trying to do. I have a different gas provider, so hopefully that counts. I recognize a name of one of the deceased, but now the last name is changed. Hoping it wasn't an coworkers relative.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    That provider waited 5 hours before issuing any statement at all....

So the working people that carry tools at the gas provider to their boss:

Do you want me to work on fixing the problem and mitigating any additional damage or do you want me to stop and explain what happened so you can get your face on the 5 o'clock news being interviewed by some cub reporter?

Not everything has to be reported for the next news cycle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So in an emergency do you need those fancy tools or can it be shut off with a pair of Channel Locs?

Does a Leatherman have enough bite and leverage?

ANY wrench would do it. However these are supposed to be made so they cant cause any sparks.

Depending on how stiff the valve is, probably not. Unless you have REALLY strong hands. but a crescent wrench or the like would do it.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    ANY wrench would do it. However these are supposed to be made so they cant cause any sparks.

Depending on how stiff the valve is, probably not. Unless you have REALLY strong hands. but a crescent wrench or the like would do it.
    We have practiced this with the family at our house. A large crescent wrench worked fine. They know where to find them. But it makes more sense to have the tool hanging at the valve, ready to go, and sparkless.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    We have practiced this with the family at our house. A large crescent wrench worked fine. They know where to find them. But it makes more sense to have the tool hanging at the valve, ready to go, and sparkless.

The man has a point. Back when I lived in town I used a crescent wrench, but in an emergency sparkless might be good.

Top Bottom