People Rescued During Hurricane Florence - Should they be financially liable?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rebarguyindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Spencer, IN
    I am not trying to sound too cold here but should people who were told to evacuate be held financially responsible for their own rescue? I know that even if the powers that be decided to fine people that it would be impossible to calculate the actual cost to rescue them, but should these people be held somewhat financially responsible? Each case would have to be judged on its own merits, but if emergency personnel must save Bubba because he thought he could hunker down in his double wide and ride it out, shouldn't he be held at least a little bit responsible? Maybe I am just a heartless A-hole, but I think those resources may have been better used elsewhere.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I heard the sheriff in some areas were telling people that if they stayed and required assistance, do not expect any. Granted I really doubt first responders would ignore pleas for help, but in this case, it's the thought that counts.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    I am not trying to sound too cold here but should people who were told to evacuate be held financially responsible for their own rescue? I know that even if the powers that be decided to fine people that it would be impossible to calculate the actual cost to rescue them, but should these people be held somewhat financially responsible? Each case would have to be judged on its own merits, but if emergency personnel must save Bubba because he thought he could hunker down in his double wide and ride it out, shouldn't he be held at least a little bit responsible? Maybe I am just a heartless A-hole, but I think those resources may have been better used elsewhere.

I think you forget that we provide free healthcare, housing, education and more; all to illegal individuals. That should answer your question.

Personally I agree with you. I am also tired of using my tax dollars and insurance premiums for rebuilding the houses and businesses who keep re-building in flood zones, high risk fire areas and the likes.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    No. They should not financially responsible. If they pay taxes, they should be covered. And yes, I also think they are (for the most part) dumb, but I also keep in mind that not all people have the means to pack up a go.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I'm on the fence with this. I hate to see someone's selfishness put someone at risk, so yes in cases of ordered evacuation they should pay, but I also dont believe in mandatory evacuation so no, they have a right to stay on their property and should not pay. :dunno:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you have plenty of warning and choose not to leave, maybe. Im not against the option, but not a fan of anything absolute.

If it was a surprise, then no. Absolutely not. (we didnt expect your house to flood vs this town floods every time there is a hurricane)

Basically my take is if you were warned and chose to be a dumbass, its on you. You should bear the responsibility for your bad judgement. My taxes are for the fire dept to help when there is an accident. Not to risk their lives to save my ass when it was preventable.

We sometimes charge hikers when they do stupid stuff and have to be rescued, why not some idiots that ignore the warnings? How is the dude that hiked into the wilderness with no flashlight, compass, jacket or supplies any different than the guy thats told to leave before his house is going to be underwater? I know some will even go so far as to expect punishment if a first responder is killed trying to save their butt, but I'm not sold on that one.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    People have a tendency toile worry free when someone else pays for their mistakes. I would almost bet that if there was no reimbursement, the cost of clams and such would drop considerably. People just don't care as much then someone else is footing the bill.

Healthcare is a PRIME example.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    No.

Not a fan of big government....but this is part of what government is for. Individuals and small communities can't really handle things like this on their own.

That being said, if you can get out then get out. I read a thread on reddit from someone that was looking for advice on what to program into his new ham radio for the area. He said he needed to go into the area and try to get his aging parents out. His mother couldn't move his paraplegic father and they had no one else in the area that could get them out so they decided to stay. They called him the night before the storm was to hit and told him. Who would you send the bill to in a case like this?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Some people have nowhere else to go. Old folks don't camp much, today's youth only navigate phones and not routes.
    I don't blame those with no skills, nor do I hold grudges on them. Too bad they're not brought up to take care of themselves.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No.

Not a fan of big government....but this is part of what government is for. Individuals and small communities can't really handle things like this on their own.

That being said, if you can get out then get out. I read a thread on reddit from someone that was looking for advice on what to program into his new ham radio for the area. He said he needed to go into the area and try to get his aging parents out. His mother couldn't move his paraplegic father and they had no one else in the area that could get them out so they decided to stay. They called him the night before the storm was to hit and told him. Who would you send the bill to in a case like this?

Ask for help before the storm hits, maybe?

Remember, this is all based on "its coming, it ain't no surprise, folks!"

And that is why I said my opinion isnt for a hard and fast "if you dont get out and we have to help, expect a bill." There is a big difference between the above and Bubba saying "I could go, but I aint leavin'! Nobody can make me go! I'll be fine!"

"wait, holy crap, no, I wont. HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLP!"

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Ask for help before the storm hits, maybe?

Remember, this is all based on "its coming, it ain't no surprise, folks!"

And that is why I said my opinion isnt for a hard and fast "if you dont get out and we have to help, expect a bill." There is a big difference between the above and Bubba saying "I could go, but I aint leavin'! Nobody can make me go! I'll be fine!"

"wait, holy crap, no, I wont. HEEEEEEELLLLLLLLP!"

True. I can't imagine the nightmare it would be to develop and implement a case by case review system though. It would be a special kind of hell to be assigned to figure out who couldn't leave vs who didn't want to, trying to gather evidence to prove it in court in the aftermath. Not a job I would wish on anyone.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    True. I can't imagine the nightmare it would be to develop and implement a case by case review system though. It would be a special kind of hell to be assigned to figure out who couldn't leave vs who didn't want to, trying to gather evidence to prove it in court in the aftermath. Not a job I would wish on anyone.

Yep. But an option is something I would support. At least for the Bubbas who obviously overestimated their abilities. Not a blanket "Here you go, the folks here with the Red Cross will take it from here. Oh, and here is your invoice for the rescue." Bill only the slam dunks that just FOOLISHLY got in over their heads. (Once again, not for the unexpected, but for those who stayed when there is a history of devastation)

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There's a lot of "people" on that coast who don't keep up with communicative devices and live a lifestyle similar to the early 1900s.
    Take off down 17 in S.Caroline and as soon as you pass Myrtle Beach/Socastee area you'll start seeing wooden porches the width of the house, rusty tin roofs, rockers on the porch, and still have the occasional "out house" off the side of the house.
    You'll definitely run into people that have no clue a storm is coming.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Rescue operations are funded by taxes, which the residents pay. If you're gonna charge for rescue, remove the taxes.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is a slippery slope indeed. We only have so many 1st responders in any given area to meet the demands of the local tax payers.
    It takes some time and huge efforts to gear up anything Federal. Fema is not standing by. They could and should be at the ready of course.
    There is always going to be a group of folks that will not leave. Always has been. Always will be.

I think the unsung heros in these situations are the regular citizens that mount rescue efforts on their own dime/time/risk/equipment to save people and pets. The stories are endless if you look for them. I truly believe that with out those effort many many more lives would be negatively effected. How would you pay those people back.

Top Bottom