CME, Yellow Stone, New Madrid, CBRN, Pandemic, Comet Impact...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Water is always at the top of any list we consider. Water is the key. With out it nothing else works. Nothing.
    Even if you "shelter-in" I doubt you could store enough to last long term. Aside from collection, which is relatively easy, what are the practical options for purification? You can boil it and kill any bacteria or viruses but what level of filtration is needed for chemicals, heavy metals, etc--and what are the available options/brands of equipment?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Even if you "shelter-in" I doubt you could store enough to last long term. Aside from collection, which is relatively easy, what are the practical options for purification? You can boil it and kill any bacteria or viruses but what level of filtration is needed for chemicals, heavy metals, etc--and what are the available options/brands of equipment?

There are many options out there for filtering. Both for individual or large quantity.

We have our water figured for 30 days for the heads we will be supporting. It does take up some room. We have collection as well with a means to boil if needed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

If you want to remove everything that is potentially harmful, you'd have to go with a combination of distillation and reverse osmosis. Either will get most stuff, but some things have a boiling point too close to water to be removed effectively by distillation and some things are tough to push through a reverse osmosis membrane (or keep it on the waste side after moving it there with a pressure gradient.

However, unless you know for certain you have specific contaminants that will be an issue (like acetone), then either distillation or reverse osmosis will probably work for you. Distillation would be favored if you have to go low tech, but have plenty of fuel for boiling. Reverse osmosis would be favored in a situation where fuel is limited, but you need the gear to make it happen.

In addition to that, carbon adsorption can remove most harmful organics and some inorganics (like chlorine), but most filters do not have a sufficient residence time (time when the water is in contact with the activated carbon media) to remove much of anything other than the chlorine. To get most organics, you need to have the water in contact with the carbon longer, either by a longer filter or a slower flow.

Last edited:

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The key would be distance from the catastrophic civilization changing event. Next would be proximity to long term sources of food and water. Then being a part of a cohesive group of survival minded people. That would greatly increase your chances of all surviving together. I know this is 40,000' level stuff, but that is how mankind has survived major natural catastrophes in the past.

Top Bottom