• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    I recently purchased a new house out in the sticks, and finally got the equipment to clear to the back of my property, (it being over grown for the last who knows how long) and as I was nearing the edge of the land, there it was sitting in the woods, a 53 foot tractor trailer. I almost couldn’t believe what I was seeing. But sure enough there it was. It’s a little rough, but fixable. Anyone have any advice on what they have done with them? Thanks in advance

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I think that you don't own the trailer. It should have a VIN that you can take to the BMV and figure out who does own it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think that you don't own the trailer. It should have a VIN that you can take to the BMV and figure out who does own it.

Maybe, maybe not. As to the latter, if it doesnt move (onto the public streets), does it truly matter in the grand scheme of things?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    As to the latter, if it doesnt move (onto the public streets), does it truly matter in the grand scheme of things?

Um, if you are knowingly in possession of someone else's property, that can be a serious legal issue. That trailer may very well have been stolen, and keeping it would then be a felony under Indiana law.

Some things change ownership because they are left when a piece of real estate sells, but I don't think it's safe to assume that a titled vehicle would do so.

And since I want Kirk to have more ammo: if the trailer is worth more than $950, I think it would also be a felony in Texas.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Um, if you are knowingly in possession of someone else's property, that can be a serious legal issue. That trailer may very well have been stolen, and keeping it would then be a felony under Indiana law.

Some things change ownership because they are left when a piece of real estate sells, but I don't think it's safe to assume that a titled vehicle would do so.

And since I want Kirk to have more ammo: if the trailer is worth more than $950, I think it would also be a felony in Texas.

Depends on how long it has been there and when it was last plated/taxed for road use. If you find an abandoned car/truck and intend to drive it yes you need to do the dance with the BMV.

Just not sure on a trailer. I would check but if you just want to use it as a storage vessel the process would be different. Unless it is stolen.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I ran into this exact same thing, camper trailer on property I purchased.
    Take VIN to last registered owner (BMV will give it to you),
    OR,
    Have county/state police run VIN check.

There is an exclusion here, *IF* the axles/wheels have been removed, tires don't count, (no longer road worthy) it's 'Abandoned'.
    Still need a VIN check to be sure, but 99.9% of the time the local police will call it 'Abandoned' and you are good from that point on.

If they give you an affidavit certifying the VIN, and do the VIN search to see if it's stolen, then you go to the BMV and have them search for last registered owner.
    Once you have that, you send a registered letter to last registered owner.
    When it returns unopened, or last regestered doesn't respond (in about 30 days), it's yours.

--------

As for what to do with it, sky is the limit!
    If it's a 'Reefer' (Refrigerated) it has good insulation so there is an insulated workshop.
    If it's common cargo (Dry Box) it's storage/workshop.

Without axles under it, set down on gravel, concrete blocks or something like cross ties, it's non taxable (non permanent), like a yard barn.
    permanent foundation means it will be property taxed.
    Still on wheels it's a crap shoot...
    It can be classified as a vehicle or property depending if it has current registration or not...

It's cheaper to build rafters and tin roof if the roof leaks.
    Just a 'Lean-To' running the water off if you don't intend to go down the highway with it.

I use shipping containers, one still on the trailer frame, for storage.
    They come in REAL handy since the roof height allows for ceiling fan (nice in a work space) and they are long enough for building materials that just have to be stored out of the weather.

Last edited:

Gunsmiff12B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 13, 2016
    South bend
    It has no wheels under it and is sitting on what looked like cinder blocks, as for the validity of it being stolen, I will look for a vin tag, but the people who put it there live down the road, I just haven’t gotten a chance to ask them about it yet. It looks like it’s been there over 30 years. Unfortunately it’s not a reefer so no insulation. It looks like it was used as a shed or something, someone cut a man door in the side, but it rotted off over time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It has no wheels under it and is sitting on what looked like cinder blocks, as for the validity of it being stolen, I will look for a vin tag, but the people who put it there live down the road, I just haven’t gotten a chance to ask them about it yet. It looks like it’s been there over 30 years. Unfortunately it’s not a reefer so no insulation. It looks like it was used as a shed or something, someone cut a man door in the side, but it rotted off over time.

I would say this became yours with the property.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

Oh. In that case, I think we have differing definitions of "jackpot."

Top Bottom