• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    So, I'm not an 'End Of The World' type, but I know a few of differing abilities.
    Like the 'Darwin Awards', I think serious stupid needs to be recognized...

And with that in mind, I present this little story!

A friend of mine is on the fire department, which often gets the call when someone gets themselves into a situation they can't get out of.
    In this case, it would be a grease/oil separation tank, basically a concrete septic tank but with a little different baffle design.
    The owner of said tank decided to use it for a 'Survival Bunker', it's got a concrete ring on top with a man hole/cover on top of that for access.
    And there in the trouble lies...

Seems "Mr. Survivalist" stacked too much weight up vertically on the lid, and the lid fell in on him!
    When the Fire Department digs him out, there are about 50 firearms leaned up in the corner, all different types, about half reported stolen.
    He has small amounts of ammo for about half,
    He also has half a dozen pipe bombs.

He's got a couple gas masks, no extra filters, no way to filter air past the filters on the masks.

He's got about 35 gallons of water in 5 gallon buckets, no way to purify more, and no provision for waste disposal.
    My friend pointed out he didn't have toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, tissues or any other way to wipe...

The 'Bunker' had about 6" of standing water, and a water line mark at about the 3' mark, so did the shelving and everything in the 'Bunker', including firearms...
    No drains, the guy had a small hand pump that looks like an oversized syringe.

Did I mention the only place over 4-1/2 feet roof height was under the manhole entrance?

------------

Now, oil separators (also called 'skimmers') aren't supposed to have the lids buried at all,
    And 4' of dirt, a 48" long concrete culvert on end, cast steel manhole ring & cover is too much weight on a 3" thick cast concrete septic tank lid with no rebar in it...

Stealing firearms, or purchasing stolen firearms is always a felony.
    I shouldn't have to say

Having a 'Stockpile' of dissimilar firearms is a fools way to do things, parts need to interchange, and that means magazines & ammo, as well as all the little pins & springs.

We won't even get into the personal hygiene thing, no drains, no soap, no means of waste disposal...
    Can't even imagine what he was thinking there!
    And keep it mind it was his 'Common Law Wife' (whatever that means..) reported him missing,
    That means there was actually a woman willing to live with a guy that doesn't think about bathing or toilet paper!

This *SHOULD* be common sense...
    When you have a container that's designed to keep water IN, you should probably go to great lengths to keep water OUT!
    Sitting a culvert section on a concrete top WITH NO SEALER, then putting the entrance BELOW GROUND LEVEL is building a FUNNEL into that soup bowl you just buried.

One other thing, when you build a 'Bunker', make sure you aren't on government land.
    People tend to get excited when they find your bunker on their land, in this case it would be the US Army/Federal Government.

I've met a lot of people with different & good ideas.
    I've met a lot of people with questionable judgment & ideas.
    I've met a few that shouldn't be allowed to reproduce and should have a cork on their forks while wearing helmets to watch TV...
    I never met this guy, but I think we are all probably safer with him in jail!

My friend is from Bullitt county, KY and was wondering g if this guy was out of jail yet since it happened some years back.
    I'm hoping not....

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    They *Think* he bought them, he was charged with receiving stolen property, government trespassing, pipe bombs, etc.
    Since the forum likes to do strange things, I often don't get to finish before things disappear, so I sometimes have to do things in sections.

When I heard the story (at the last machine gun shoot) they were wondering if he was out of jail yet...

An addendum would be the tank was actually used for toxic waste separation before he got hold of it.
    The equivalent of having a used septic tank as your 'Bunker'!

rebarguyindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2013
    Spencer, IN
    "Seems "Mr. Survivalist" stacked too much weight up vertically on the lid, and the lid fell in on him!"...I guess I am a little confused. How could he stack too much weight up vertically on the lid while he was inside the pit? Did he have someone else seal him in? Second entrance?

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    From what I gleaned, a skimmer tank buried 4'+ deep, with a concrete culvert sticking up, and a man hole ring & cover on top that, at more or less ground level.
    For a man, that's at least 18" and manholes are usually 24" wide.
    And let's not forget it had standing water, so not dry dirt.

I have a shop, I had to install a oil/chemical skimmer.
    About 5 feet tall, about 5 feet wide, and about 10 feet long.
    Since skimmers have to be cleaned out, the lid is *Supposed* to be at ground level or just above. (Code & function requirements)

Skimmers have much thinner lids than septic tanks unless you special order the lid.

This isn't isolated, not too long ago in Virginia they pulled a guy out of a 'cave' he was 'Prepping' when it fell in on him...
    Several people have buried busses, trucks etc and had 'Issues'.
    Paoli, IN. trailer park NAZIs had an old school bus buried and it filled with water/mud.

Some years back in TN. a 'Prepper' decided the big culvert behind his house trailer would make a good 'Bunker' since it went down a steep hill side and opened into a big concrete 'Room'...
    When it rained he got flushed out down the mountain side into the river...
    He later blew himself up trying to pour gasoline down the same culvert trying to kill a raccoon.

My point is, STOP & THINK IT THROUGH so you don't make it into the 'Stupid Hall Of Fame' or the Darwin Awards...

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    "Seems "Mr. Survivalist" stacked too much weight up vertically on the lid, and the lid fell in on him!"...I guess I am a little confused. How could he stack too much weight up vertically on the lid while he was inside the pit? Did he have someone else seal him in? Second entrance?
    I wondered the same thing, how did he put dirt on the lid from the inside? Sounds a bit like a fish story to me.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I wondered the same thing, how did he put dirt on the lid from the inside? Sounds a bit like a fish story to me.

This one is easy... And anyone that had seen a septic tank or a skimmer tank (concrete tank with lid, lid has a hatch).
    We'll open the clean out hatch on a skimmer tank, you get in, and we'll dump dirt on the lid until it caves in, and you will understand...
    Keep in mind that skimmer tanks aren't supposed to have buried lids, so the clean out plugs can be accessed for regular cleaning (chemicals need to be removed regularly).

Septic tanks have thicker lids and are supposed to be buried about 2 feet deep.
    Ask anyone that install or services septic tanks and they will have 100 stories about idiots going through the lids with vehicles, heavy rains, buried too deep, ect.

Putting a concrete culvert on end so he could bury the skimmer deeper, THEN putting a cast steel manhole ring and cover on top the culvert was bad enough... (Access)
    Then he dumped probably 4 feet of dirt (concrete culvert sections come standard in 4 foot lengths) on top the skimmer lid that wasn't supposed to be buried at all...

You know, I wonder about people that are 'Training For Survival' but can't figure out simple physics...
    When I lived in town, a 'Gun Nut' stored about 1,200 pounds of gunpowder in his HOUSE, which caught fire.
    8:30 PM the police/fire department is beating on our door to evacuate the area while they tried to put the fire out...

There is a reason I moved to the country...

Top Bottom