Para Cord: How Much Do You Use & For What?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So I just finished a 1000 foot spool of para cord for the first time (Tru-Spec, coyote brown). It took a few years and the spool was a mess at the end. I used other sources along the way (including about a third of a 1000 foot spool of gray), so I've probably gone through at least 1250-1500 feet if paracord.

I used it for boot laces, lanyards, more lanyards, more boot laces, restraining cargo in my vehicles, carrying packages (had to improvise a way to carry several pizza with one hand while I was climbing stairs a few years ago), stashing pieces with different kits and in different places in case I need cordage away from home, re-lacing a body armor carrier, field expedient pet leashes, connecting slings to rifles, making slings and other straps longer,converting sheaths to danglers, wrapping handles, field expedient repairs on all kinds of gear, handles/grips, extensions of handles/grips, etc.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Boy Scout, we go through 1000 feet + in a years time. Other then that just about what you have already said. I have 20 foot lengths stashed all over the place. Also I don’t use bungee cords. Truckers hitch is one of the best knots to know how to tie.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Boy Scout, we go through 1000 feet + in a years time. Other then that just about what you have already said. I have 20 foot lengths stashed all over the place. Also I don’t use bungee cords. Truckers hitch is one of the best knots to know how to tie.

:thumbsup: :patriot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had 2 fair sized spools in white and brown. I was looking for them to incorperate into the new and improved bug out supplys and no where to be found. I asked the spouse and she said "Oh yeah, I meant to tell you we used all of that up some time ago"........I said "Both rolls".....shed said "Yes and can you get us some more"

Her and the daughter do a lot of craft projects. Apparently Para cord is great for them. I should really pay more attention.

Where do you guys get yours.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I had 2 fair sized spools in white and brown. I was looking for them to incorperate into the new and improved bug out supplys and no where to be found. I asked the spouse and she said "Oh yeah, I meant to tell you we used all of that up some time ago"........I said "Both rolls".....shed said "Yes and can you get us some more"

Her and the daughter do a lot of craft projects. Apparently Para cord is great for them. I should really pay more attention.

Where do you guys get yours.

Amazon in the past, but the next spool I buy, I'm going to check some other sources for potentially better prices.

I'm also using bank line for some cordage needs now, which is awesome when it's adequate for the job.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Boot laces, lanyards, key fobs, zipper pulls, lashing gear, bracelets, replacing tent lines, knife handles, all kinds of stuff...

I get it at Walmart more often than anywhere else. It's close and real 7 strand 550 cord.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Boot laces, lanyards, key fobs, zipper pulls, lashing gear, bracelets, replacing tent lines, knife handles, all kinds of stuff...

I get it at Walmart more often than anywhere else. It's close and real 7 strand 550 cord.

Thanks. What area of the store. I am not a Wally regular.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    lanyards, fobs, bracelets, a quick makeshift sling for a shotgun, line for a 10 lb boat anchor, general cordage for tying things up including sleeping bags and pads and, of course, various lengths stashed in numerous bags (get home, bugout, etc.)

Still not halfway through a 1,000 foot spool of black cord I bought from Campingsurvival.com (wow... 5 years ago... I need to use it more often)

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Possibilities are about endless. I just tossed a fresh roll of yellow reflective on the garage work bench. I like the high viz stuff for knives and tool lanyards. Easy to spot if a tool gets left on the ground. Great stuff and I stash it around.

I do a lot of small engine repair. Works great tied onto mower deck springs and other riding mower springs to get them reinstalled. Tie it on one end of the spring. Sit on your butt and pull.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    So I just finished a 1000 foot spool of para cord for the first time (Tru-Spec, coyote brown). It took a few years and the spool was a mess at the end. I used other sources along the way (including about a third of a 1000 foot spool of gray), so I've probably gone through at least 1250-1500 feet if paracord.

I used it for boot laces, lanyards, more lanyards, more boot laces, restraining cargo in my vehicles, carrying packages (had to improvise a way to carry several pizza with one hand while I was climbing stairs a few years ago), stashing pieces with different kits and in different places in case I need cordage away from home, re-lacing a body armor carrier, field expedient pet leashes, connecting slings to rifles, making slings and other straps longer,converting sheaths to danglers, wrapping handles, field expedient repairs on all kinds of gear, handles/grips, extensions of handles/grips, etc.

I tend to buy 100' lengths. During the summer, I'll string a 50' length between two trees to use as a clothes line at my cabin.
    Also, like many of you, smaller lengths are used for projects like neck cords .

Last edited:

jndturner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2013
    Noblesville, IN
    I usually have at least 100 ft with me. It came in pretty handy this summer while kayaking with my daughters. The water was not moving on the White River and they got tired. I ended up using a length of paracord I had stashed in my kayak to tow them for about 2 hours. My shoulders may never be the same. I use it when camping, timing things down in the back of the truck, boot laces, improvised dog leash and for anything else that needs to be tied down. When I get a new pair of Keen’s or Merrel’s I usually replace the bright and reflective laces with paracord.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I use it for all of the above, plus tie down our pool cover (emergency water supply). Tie down tarps over anything that wont fit in the garage.
    I buy a roll every time I go to Menards just to keep on hand.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Sorry to thread jack but I’m interested to learn more about this bank line. My son boy scout troop has a slid that they use for their winter campout and it needs to be re lashed. What size bank line would be best?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

Ya, ya, ya.....all likely uses. But come on, just admit it... You used all your paracord for makeshift tourniquets during all those times that the pointy and / or sharp things attacked you.

:stickpoke: :stickpoke: :stickpoke:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Bank line...???

It's braided or twisted cord that is also "tarred," which makes knots hold really well. I think the primary intent is to use for fishing line, nets, etc. It comes in different sizes (usually sold by the pound), so you can have stuff that you can use for heavy duty sewing up to cord that is close to 550 cord.

https://www.amazon.com/SGT-KNOTS-Ta...8-1-spons&keywords=#36+tarred+bank+line&psc=1

61zpkYRB5FL._SL1024_.jpg

The most common general purpose size is #36. That size reminds me of the gold or blue cord that shipping companies used to use for balikbayan boxes shipping to and from the Philippines. My dad always had some and used it for almost everything. It was nearly indestructible. The #36 bank line is better because the stuff on it make knots much less likely to slip.

I used to wind some paracord around my knife sheaths, but now I use bank line since I can put a longer length with less bulk on the sheath.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom