• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I know we all talk about a variety of things that could go work and certainly alter our normal day to day life. Not real worried about asteroids, zombies, climate change, AI, all the usual candidates that could happen that are well beyond mu control. But I am getting more and more concerned about the economy and the possibility of civil unrest and the effect it would have on us. Even a world war is not out of the question. I remember talking with my grandparents about life during WW II. They said it was a bit tough, but not impossible. Very little rioting or looting. People back then were used to working for what they needed to get by and made whatever sacrifice they had to to keep things together. The lights stayed on, the water still run, and stores were still open. Granted, the food selection was not what it had been previously and they ate simpler and plainer meals. Some things like gas and rubber was in short supply, but they made do with what they had. There was work and a man could still support his family.

Today's mentality seems to be described with 1 word........entitlement. So many people seem to be under the impression that they deserve free food stamps, free phones, utility grants, cheap housing, and such. After all, why work if you get everything with little or no effort? The idea of working to earn a living and better your way of life seems to be an alien concept to many people.

My concern is simple. If the economy or, God forbid, the government stumbles for a week or a month or longer, what happens to our day to day life? What if food stamps are cut in half or eliminated for 60 days? What if gas becomes so rationed that trucks cannot stock grocery stores on a regular basis? What if the "have nots" decide to take their fair share (in their opinion) from the "have's"? Electricity service curtailed of reduced? Travel restricted? The dollar be devalued? I have to believe that most of the people today would not do well in such a scenario. I am afraid that things would spiral out of control for quite a while before they could be normalized again.

I welcome your observations an comments.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I also grew up with parents and Grandparents who survived those times. Yes, times have changed. I agree that a SHTF could be very rough and most people depend on their cell phone and ATM to keep equipped with $ and news.
    I still own a Trimline phone as a backup to my cordless. I also have a gas fireplace/heater which requires no electric. My basic tools also are a manual can opener, battery powered radio, and stored flats of bottled water. Not Paranoid! We had many years of fine water service, but a broken line means boil order for ? We have bleach, and know how to boil snow to water. Again, don't be scared,Get Prepared! You will feel better about life.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    The truth is nobody really knows what the future holds. My advice is put some preps back if you can afford it and you will already be ahead of 90% of people. But, don't bet on things collapsing. Save and plan for your retirement. Look at that as another type of prep if you want.

If you are into reading check out William R Forstchen's book series One Second After. It plays out some interesting scenarios.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Been prepping for years now so I am not to concerned about me and mine. Far more concerned about civil unrest and the hordes of people who have no clue about what to do in a bad situation. Easier to steal from people who "have" than to get ready for the "what if....". Do not want to think about the long term consequences if I have to do what I have to do to protect and save me and mine from harm. What one does in a bad situation can come back to haunt you once order has been restored. Not to sure what liberal jurors would think about using deadly force in that kind of situation. I can hear them now..."you should have shared what you had with anyone who wanted it. Instead, you chose to commit murder". Sorry, sharing supplies with an angry mob or half a dozen armed thugs is not going to insure my survival. Most likely it would get me killed quickly.

I am thinking more about what life would be like with rationing and limited services. Or if the government shut down for 30 days or more because they ran out of money. God knows they have already ran out of common sense. What if they played the martial law card? I am sure the huddled masses on the government dole would not be happy that was a 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM curfew. "What do you mean gas is $7.00 @ gallon? It was $3.25 yesterday!" What if the grocery store limited purchases to 1 bag a day? I gotta think things would get ugly real quick.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This is why we do what we do. Why they call us paranoid and use the term prepper like it's a dirty word. Why we go to classes and matches to stay on top of how we use our tools for self defense.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I always look at the Katrina disaster as a model which tells me that most people will simply go to where leadership tells them to die.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Ah, I see. Well, I think studying what is happening in Venezuela or how things went down in Yugoslavia might give some insight. There would surely be rioting and looting in major cities. So, not living in a major city should be a priority. I would think the farther you are away from a major population center the better off you would be. Indiana is fairly heavily populated compared to some of the Western states. Once you cross the Mississippi River the population density goes way down. Something to think about I guess if you are thinking about relocating.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    My wife and I kind of have our own thing were some times we will look at the other and say "they wouldn't make it" It comes from a conversation we had awhile back about how so many people are helpless, and we were saying if something happened like the east coast loosing power for a few months or something (whatever you want to dream up for a few months) and they had to be self reliant that some of them just wouldn't make it. I am not saying that I can't be soft and comfortable in my life but with some people it's on another level!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Biggest concern & Achilles heel with economy collapse is the inability to pay for your house... having goons come foreclose. Maybe they would be to busy to get to me...? Maybe I shouldn't be worried would be glad to here reasons why I shouldn't worry about that. And I am sure there are other things I should be more concerned with.

Last edited:

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Interesting side note...On the last one or two "this is a test from the emergency broadcast system…" that I have heard on the radio, they have followed it with "...if this had been a real emergency such as natural disaster, extreme weather event or civil unrest...". The first time I heard that, I was a little surprised.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Interesting. I have heard that lately as well. Tie that phrase with the government now recommending "emergency kits" (commonly called bug out bags here) for each member of the household makes one scratch his or her head and go "Hmmm, I wonder what they know that we don't?"

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    It doesn't take anything as spectacular as an economic collapse, civil war, or news of an impending meteor strike. Last year meteorologists forecasted a snow storm (that, BTW, didn't come to fruition) and the local grocery store shelves were devoid of bread, milk, eggs, toilet paper and chicken soup within a few hours. People panic...they don't prepare.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It doesn't take anything as spectacular as an economic collapse, civil war, or news of an impending meteor strike. Last year meteorologists forecasted a snow storm (that, BTW, didn't come to fruition) and the local grocery store shelves were devoid of bread, milk, eggs, toilet paper and chicken soup within a few hours. People panic...they don't prepare.

When you live day to day from the drive through at the local fast food joint.....well......:dunno:

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    if SHTF does happen, no matter how much you are prepared, make sure you are in the food lines for food and water. If people don't see you there for your share, they will come and try to take what you have for them self

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    if SHTF does happen, no matter how much you are prepared, make sure you are in the food lines for food and water. If people don't see you there for your share, they will come and try to take what you have for them self

That is a very good point.

Not sure there'll be food/water lines in my neighborhood, much less people standing in them.

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I put two deer in the freezer this season. My family lives on 5 acres with about 3 acres wooded. My two doe were shot reload time aprt standing next to each other. They were processed at home, never left our property. We eat out maybe 1 or 2 times a month. I am at the fire station 10 days a month, wife cooks for her and our two y/o twins. When I am home I take care of the cooking. We have a garden every year and our kids eat a huge variety of food. Do I “waste” money on items to survive? To a lot of people yes. To me no. I work with people who do not flinch at $6 Starbucks and $10–12 lunches. I make coffee at home and pack my lunch.
    I have heard people state “if anything happens I will just come to your house” Funny statement, I don’t remember an invite. I work amongst 45,000 college ave folks, it is scary. My 2 year olds have more common sense. Priorities are very interesting nowadays.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Priorities are interesting....... I spend 1,000 on a gun that will last a lifetime people think im nuts.... (obviously not people on this forum) millions of people spend 1,000 on a cell phone that will be obsolete in 6 months at best.......... and that is socially acceptable and the "norm"

Top Bottom