• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    So, if there happened to be a widespread disaster of some sort, I was wondering about the potential to harvest batteries from Bird scooters (assuming the company was defunct and it wouldn't be wrong to do so). The batteries are clearly rechargeable, although I don't know much more about them than that. They must have decent Amp Hour ratings, as they claim 20 miles on a full charge.

Could you wire up these puppies to be charged by solar panels (if you had or could obtain some)? Or charge them when you run your generator for a little bit to have quiet power through the night? What other uses?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bird scooter are a blight. The hipsters rent them and wreck havoc on the downtown area and as far out as the battery's will take them.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    uTlbaUS.jpg

Clarity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2012
    Wow, so much for a thought experiment. (Or Google, for that matter, to figure out what a Bird scooter is.)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've seen these things on the news, not sure how the system works and generates money. It must generate something significant as the city wanted a cut.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wow, so much for a thought experiment. (Or Google, for that matter, to figure out what a Bird scooter is.)

OK......why would I want to cruise Google about these scooters. I asked the question.....what is the voltage. That would be the key to any usage outside driving the motor on the scooter. That was my thoughts. Cell phones and laptops are voltage sensitive. What else could you use it few past lighting and again, voltage is key here as well.
    This could be a good source if you had the ability to re-charge them. Again, voltage...???

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    +1 to what jd4320t said.

I am somewhat confident that the scooters would be thoroughly looted or burned during the riots caused by or resulting from the collapse. If you want to walk around in the middle of all that downtown be my guest. Keep in mind that every car that runs out of gas and is abandoned along the side of the road will have a larger 12v battery inside.

All just speculation of course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    +1 to what jd4320t said.

I am somewhat confident that the scooters would be thoroughly looted or burned during the riots caused by or resulting from the collapse. If you want to walk around in the middle of all that downtown be my guest. Keep in mind that every car that runs out of gas and is abandoned along the side of the road will have a larger 12v battery inside.

All just speculation of course.

We have seen a few of these scooters out here in the speedway area abandoned. They make it out about this far and run out of steam. The Speedway LEO had/has a storage facility full of them impounded. At $20 (est) a day they will soon be not worth the bail money to get them out.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    We have seen a few of these scooters out here in the speedway area abandoned. They make it out about this far and run out of steam. The Speedway LEO had/has a storage facility full of them impounded. At $20 (est) a day they will soon be not worth the bail money to get them out.

That can't make the scooter company very profitable I would guess.

Based on CM's post people may use the scooters to get out of downtown during unrest and I could imagine them abandoned in some of the outlying neighborhoods.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That can't make the scooter company very profitable I would guess.

Based on CM's post people may use the scooters to get out of downtown during unrest and I could imagine them abandoned in some of the outlying neighborhoods.

Picturing this in my mind, I find it mildly amusing.;)

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    My son is helping to pay for his college education by Birds. They give out free chargers and have an app that you go “claim” them, take them home and charge them for money. Then he has to have them dispersed by 0800 each day. It’s not guaranteed money but he is making living expense money and is learning what getting up early for work is. He is up most days around 0430 to disperse them. Now let’s see what his electric bill is gonna be.

Top Bottom