• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I have to see a doctor on a fairly regular basis, so when I saw this new doctor (you often don't get the same doctor in the VA system) he wrote me extra prescriptions for antibiotics and steroids, and he prescribed my regular medication in bulk, six months worth instead of 30 days worth.

Cipro for internal infections, Keflex for external infections, steroid dose packs to kick the body's immune system up.
    I had to fill the prescription at an outside pharmacy to get long term storage packs, the VA only does bottled bulk and to be fair, it's not up to the taxpayer to supply my bug out bag...

There are more & more doctors that think having a supply of antibiotics on hand is a good idea, which should tell you something...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What kind of steroids boost the immune system? Most steroids (at least in the cortisone family of steroids) are prescribed to reduce inflammation, not boost the immune system...

fordmanchris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Westfield
    I feel like that's pretty reckless for a doctor to just give out Cipro like that. It does have a black box warning and many people get permenant damage from it. I can see things like lower level antibiotics, but unless you have something where you really need Cipro I feel like that could be dangerous. Just my opinion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Having meds is one of the limiting factors for the spouse and I. We have enough on hnd for a couple of months but not for the long haul.

The Cipro thing does raise a flag but if you are using it and understand then yeah I get it. I was on it for a Cellulitis infection that near killed me. That is rough stuff.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    As this is why we have more and more antibiotic resistant infections., in effect reducing the number of working antibiotics out there. Antibiotics are over prescribed way to much.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As this is why we have more and more antibiotic resistant infections., in effect reducing the number of working antibiotics out there. Antibiotics are over prescribed way to much.

It just may be possible this man needs them hence the scrip.

IMHO a lot of meds are over prescribed. But if you need them and have a supply then win win. It would be for me and my spouse. It would be a serious win.

Why so negative people. Confusing.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana

IMHO a lot of meds are over prescribed. But if you need them and have a supply then win win. It would be for me and my spouse. It would be a serious win.

because when you get sick or get an infection doesn’t mean it’s going to be the same “bug”. They do culture and sensitivity tests for a reason, to see which antibiotics should be used. Just taking an antibiotic that you have on hand doesn’t mean it’s going to treat it, possibly making it tougher to treat in the future/resistant.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    because when you get sick or get an infection doesn’t mean it’s going to be the same “bug”. They do culture and sensitivity tests for a reason, to see which antibiotics should be used. Just taking an antibiotic that you have on hand doesn’t mean it’s going to treat it, possibly making it tougher to treat in the future/resistant.

I believe you are not understanding the OP's reasoning. I understand your point and I am no doctor. But I do know that if someone has reason for these meds then having a supply on hand is a huge plus. That is my take here.

The one limiting factor for and SHTF scenario for the spouse and I are available meds. Her medical condition demands it. Mine as well being a diabetic. Existing on survival foods is the absolute worst thing I could do. Having enough meds/required supplements on hand could extend our time. With out, well, you already know.

Again, it sounds like the OP is on these drugs already. Not handing them out willy nilly.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    CM, the way he describes it the Rx's are not for a current Dx, they are so he can treat himself in the future based on his own diagnosis. 2 are antibiotics, not meds for chronic conditions. He also describes the meds in a way that shows he has no idea what he's doing.
    There are more & more doctors that think having a supply of antibiotics on hand is a good idea, which should tell you something...
    Yes, it tells me you either convinced the doc you have an infection but plan on not taking as directed, instead saving them for later, OR your doc is in serious need of refresher courses in basic concepts like prescribing treatment based on a diagnosis, pharmacology, and do no harm.
    I'm not trying to come off as upset, or bashing but to address all the densely packed misinformation in that post is hard to do without sounding like a rant.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CM, the way he describes it the Rx's are not for a current Dx, they are so he can treat himself in the future based on his own diagnosis. 2 are antibiotics, not meds for chronic conditions. He also describes the meds in a way that shows he has no idea what he's doing.

Yes, it tells me you either convinced the doc you have an infection but plan on not taking as directed, instead saving them for later, OR your doc is in serious need of refresher courses in basic concepts like prescribing treatment based on a diagnosis, pharmacology, and do no harm.
    I'm not trying to come off as upset, or bashing but to address all the densely packed misinformation in that post is hard to do without sounding like a rant.

OK Doc. I get it. I am just looking at my own situation.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

It's the idea of 'Armchair Experts', they make 'Assumptions'.
    It's also the guys that want antibiotics for every cough or sniffle and don't understand how to tell the difference between viral & bacterial infections.

Most anti-biotic resistance is because meat producers dumped millions of pounds of anti-biotics into the food chain for over half a century.
    Anti-biotic resistance DOES NOT come from having a few courses in the refrigerator...

The idea of 'Last Ditch' meds is when it's meds or dead.
    Blood poisoning (sepsis), serious, life threatening infections from gunshot wounds or punctures, etc, not because you don't want a minor 'Boo-Boo' to scar when it gets slightly infected (which actually strengthens the immune system).
    These guys will waste the meds on the wrong infection, or waste meds on mosquito bites!

It's an educated field medicine thing, if you haven't stitched up wounds, taken out shrapnel & closed the would, don't know how to diagnose subdural or epidural heamatoma, then you probably should be allowed to have anything stronger than baby aspirin...
    If you haven't used a towel clamp to close wounds in the field... Then I don't want you working on me or mine in a SHTF situation.

On the other hand, it's good to have the most cost effective one punch knockout drugs you can get.
    It's my money, it's drugs I've used and will probably need again since I still have the issues that required them in the first place...

*IF* you don't 'Think' it's a good idea, then stay with sticks & stones for 'Homeopathic Cures'... I'm sure that shiny rock will cure what ever sniffle you have... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :popcorn:

I’m gonna run out of popcorn.

We expect to unite to fight for gun rights and can’t even agree on medicine.

Bingo.

Yes we all have an opinion. Yes we are all going to share it. Some make sense. Some not so much. I am thinking it is all how we see the issues at hand.
    I will admit to little knowledge of the medications in discussion.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    And that's why you ask your doctor, particularly a military trained doctor about what to use.
    Doctors that have done time in 3rd world countries also have some ideas that don't involve 'Armchair Experts' or 'Ideal' situations.

No one ever gets skewered by a chainsaw in the emergency room while all experts are standing there waiting.
    Its 'Ideal' to allow the surgeon to remove whatever penetrates you, but in the practical world lugging a 35 pound pipe or 5 foot long fence post around isn't practical...

Cipro is now available in generic for about $25.
    It cost upwards of $2,600 a course when it was introduced.
    It's a big gun in respiratory infections, and was actually used to knock out anthrax.
    It's also a pretty fair internal (digestive tract) anti-biotic, as in gut wounds that get infected (nearly 100% of gut wounds get infected).
    It's still in the strategic stockpile in the event of biological warfare attack.

Steroids dry you out, reduce inflammation, clear lungs by drying, reduce swelling, and activate the bodies natural immune & defense systems.
    They simply rev-up your body, you heal faster.
    They are a good companion for anti-biotics because they speed healing & recovery.
    (Don't overuse steroids or you will cripple the body in the long run)

Cipro does little for serious skin infections or infections of the muscle (serious flesh wounds).
    You need something specific for those infections, and there are a few that are reasonable priced.

Good old penicillin is still quite effective for less serious infections.
    India and China still make it for dirt cheap.

We used towel clamps for closing wounds quickly (hard to put stitches in during a fire fight), even faster than gause & super glue.
    I still buy towel clamps when I find them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom