• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    When I built the shelving for food storage (cold storage) I built with casters on the shelving, roll away from the wall, new stock goes on the back, what's used comes off the front. Rotation issues solved.

I've solved the issues with acidic foods eating through metal cans, I simply don't use metal cans that coffee or tomato based products can eat through.
    I repackage stuff like coffee in glass jars which last a LONG time.

What I'm having an issue with is spoilage, and not what you might think...
    The shampoo has actually spoiled. It's not separation which is as simple as shaking, this stuff stinks and is growing something.
    I have no idea what to add or to do about this.

No matter how well sealed up soap is, it degrades given enough time.
    We *Can* make soap, but it's a pain in the butt and store bought is much cheaper.
    I've tried vacuum packing, oxygen removal, inert gasses, and the soap still does weird stuff...
    The wife likes store bought soap & shampoo, so this is a deal.

There are other odds & ends that aren't easy to store long term, but this gives you an idea...

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    What kind of time frame are you talking about before this happens ? We have shampoos and soap that are about 8 years old that we still dip into , and it is as good as new .
    Ours are stored in plastic type totes or tupperware type containers .
    Our storage temps vary from a low of 45 degrees to a high of about 70 max .

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Mid 50s to mid 60s temp, some of it has been around 15-18 years.
    Cool, but not dehumidified.

The issue is, when she finds something she likes better, the old stuff doesn't get used.
    I use the older shampoo, I even shave with it, but not having long hair I don't use it up fast enough.
    I just hate waste so I'm trying to find a why to save the old stuff for use.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    I know some shampoos have certain oils in them ......I don`t see why those oils could not go rancid .
    They do sell Bar type shampoos , or could make your own .

If SHTF scenario did happen , maybe time to get out the razor for everyone . Might be easier to store razors and hats > :):

Cant think of any uses for stinky shampoo ;) Maybe make Molotov style Stinky bombs .

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Not sure you can dehydrate... That's a real good question...

I'm pretty sure it's the additives like oils rotting/going rancid.
    They all seem to have a preservative of some kind in then when you look up the ingredients.
    The 'Botanical' types don't last long at all, and the 'Extra Creamy' don't last long either, I assume fats & oils.
    The 'Sparkly' (usually crushed bug shells or fish scales) are the next to go.
    Mostly clear (like baby shampoos) seem to last the longest. That's a non-scientific, random observation...

Razors are funny animals, you clean & dry the blades in a 'Disposable' and it will last 6 weeks or more...
    It's the crud/moisture building up that corrodes the edge of the blade, so if you use a light touch, clean & dry they last quite a while.

There are blade sharpeners for 'Safety' razors, and again clean & dry the blade it will last a LONG time.
    Mine are from the 1930's and still work well, although you can buy brand new sharpeners, not everywhere in the world uses 'Disposable'...

I learned to shave with a straight razor (grandpa used one and he taught me to shave) and still use one occasionally.
    The older I get, the more face I gain in wrinkles the less I use a straight razor.
    As the skin, eyes and nervous system gets older, I feel I'm taking my life into my own shaky hands! ;)

Believe this or not, the creamy shampoo works well as shaving soap, and it doesn't take much.
    I haven't bought shave cream in years. There is always a 'New' bottle of shampoo sitting around and the 'Old' shampoo being ignored.
    (You might smell like flowers one day, coconut the next, and lavender on the third day, depending on what bottle you pick up...)
    That cycle keeps the stored shampoo in the cabinets...
    If that's all she wants, I'm still a lucky man!

A new bath soap or shampoo is a darn sight cheaper than $300 worth of 'Designer' crap ($5 worth of yard sale crap 5 seconds after you pay for it), or deciding to buy a SUV because her car doesn't have the 'Right' brand name badge for the other cars in the parking lot at work...
    She doesn't 'Keep Up With The Joneses', but she does LOVE a hot soak in a tub...
    Beats $1,000 for a 'Spa Day'!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom