• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    As a kid I ran around with a grandpa made wooden slingshot hanging out of my hip pocket.
    (That will get you blamed for every broken window in the county!)

As a young teen, I got the Daisy & Marksman versions of 'Wrist Rockets', an arm brace and surgical tubing bands.
    We actually got pretty good with them, shooting rats at the dump, shooting glass bottles floating in the river, etc.

I can't remember being without a slingshot of some type or another, it's just something that's fun for me, launching pebbles while waiting for the wife to finally get ready to go, I just step outside a shoot a little while.
    As age gets the best of me, I find it keeps my hands & wrists strong, and on this side of 50, keeping muscle/strength is harder to do...

So, a younger friend of mine pops in to show me his 'Survival' (nearly $250!) 'Sling Bow'...
    (For people like me, that's a sling shot that will shoot an arrow and has a TAC rail so you can mount a laser)
    He's bragging that it will shoot BOTH steel balls & arrows.
    The arrows are carbon fiber or something, and cost about $20 each.

I reached into the slingshot box and pulled out a wooden frame that had a coat hanger loop to hold the arrow, vintage homemade circa 1972.
    Then I pulled out the $15 Marksman wrist rocket with a 'Whisker Biscut' arrow rest off a bow mounted between the arms.
    Then I showed him the fiberglass driveway markers ($2) with reflectors removed, and the plain old dime store arrows I've been using since Carter was in office...

I don't have a TAC rail, no laser sighting, no skull & crossbones cast into the body and I don't need 3 surgical tubes since I use spear gun tubing on mine, it's cheap, it lasts longer, and it doesn't degrade like plain laytex tubing does, some of my tubes are 10 or more years old...

I've busted hundreds of squirrels & cotton tails, more than a few birds that get I to the shop, and it's my version of 'Physical Therapy' instead of stretching rubber bands.
    I have a cousin that killed at least two deer with the same rig using a broad head arrow.

What goes around comes around again...
    I wasn't aware this was a 'Thing' in the first place, and I had no idea it had come around again, but there are dozens of YouTube videos of people making & using these things.

I don't see any of them just popping rocks or fence posts to keep in practice, they all seem so serious ;)
    It's hard to take a 'Survivalist' serious when they are holding the 'Latest-Greatest' that Huck Finn carried around and every country kind had when I was that age...
    Like seeing someone trying to sell a soda straw and 'Death Bomb' peas for their brand of pea shooter!

Is it practical? YES! Ever since Mark Twain's day...
    Is it effective? YES, that's why it's survived at least 150 years.
    It's it affordable? YES! You can still make one from a tree branch fork & a rubber band.
    Do you NEED to spend $200? Only if you want the 'Tacti-Cool' version, the $20 Wally-World version still works great.

My 'Ammo' is picking the pea gravel out of the driveway, or if I'm REALLY going high-tech, I get some round balls for my muzzle loader.
    'Specialized' ammo includes rubber balls to break up dog fights and smack birds indoors so it doesn't damage the building...
    I can recommend a slingshot for anyone with two arms/hands, builds eye/hand coordination, builds wrist & hand strength, improves 'Reflex' shooting skills, and generally is fun to do so you don't get bored...

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I did a quick search for the whisker biscuit I used, it has two screw holes in it's frame, maybe they aren't made anymore since it's probably 20 years old.
    With the 2 screw hole version, with zip ties or hog rings the whisker biscuit folds down out of the way for rocks or shot.
    The first time I did the whisker biscuit it didn't have an outer frame, I just zip tied the insert to the arms and it worked fine, just didn't fold down as well.
    Since I didn't buy the whisker biscuits either time (take off from the archery guys) I don't know the brand name.

The old coat hanger wire loop between arms works just as well, I used it with a fiberglass fishing arrow to clean the carp & shad out of the ponds, many dozen fish each time, and that 40+ year old arrow is still in the box of slingshot junk, but the point needs sharpened and some rust cleaned off, and probably new string by now...
    We didn't use reels, we just tied a loop to the forward wrist, coiled string in front of us and shot away.

I had no idea that anyone else in the world ever did this since it was a jury-rig a few river rat farm boys did to entertain themselves (more fun that a pitch fork or gig for cleaning the carp/shad out).

I wouldn't recommend trying to take a deer, even though my cousin did at least twice... keep in mind that these things weren't legal to hunt deer with when he did this, and I'm not condoning poaching, but just letting you know it actually can be done.
    There is a guy on YouTube claiming to have taken an Alaskan grizzly bear, and I darn sure wouldn't try that, but to each their own.
    (Grizzly bears scare the pants off me even when I'm carrying a heavy caliber rifle!)

I use the plain tubing type, no wrist brace when I'm pinging fence posts or the larger rocks around here, more work for the hands & wrists without the arm brace,
    But when I'm serious about rodent control, I get out the spear gun tubing version with wrist brace.
    These things are dirt cheap so it's easy to have a few, and being that cheap you can experiment to your heart's content. (As in coat hanger wire loop and some cheap arrows)
    My idea of 'High Tech' is a $10 whisker biscuit and a couple zip ties.
    Keep in mind with spear gun tubing you can EASILY get 45-50 lb draw weight, which is quite a workout for hands, arms & shoulders, without dragging out all the archery stuff.

I don't know about the $200-$250 versions, I've only seen one in person and I couldn't tell any difference in function between it and the $20 version.
    A light might be nice for carp shooting, but I don't think a laser would work as a sight...

Just something to think about, cheap, fast, light weight and doesn't take up much room, I have a folding version in my camp pack, it's been there for a couple decades... Fun to shoot around a campfire or take pot shots at walnuts while they are still on the trees!
    I guess you have to aquire a taste for this kind of 'Shooting', not everything has to have a trigger...

DangerousDave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Cayuga
    Your thread brought back a lot of memories of when I was a kid. I wanted a BB gun but since we were poor my dad made me a slingshot out of a forked stick. An old inner tube supplied the rubber and an old shoe tongue supplied the pouch. I went everywhere with that slingshot hanging out of my back pocket. I got so I was pretty handy with it. I used to kill pigeons out in the barn with it and an unknown number of rabbits. One time my cousin came out with his brand new .22 rifle and we went hunting for rats down at the county dump. I remember killing more rats than he did. He was dumbfounded. We still get a good laugh about it to this day. Like you said what was old is now new again.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I'm still working out of a Dollar Tree bag of marbles for scaring the unwanted away from the bird feeder and such. I even find a few that I've used when mushroom hunting or mowing and "recycle" them.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Search eBay for 'Speargun Slings' and there is a BUNCH of different types.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...gun+slings.TRS2&_nkw=speargun+slings&_sacat=0

Some have strings or wires installed already, so pushing a regular arrow would be easy.

My packages have 4.5mm & the heavy has 7.5mm on them, but I don't know what exactly the difference is, wall thickness, hole internal diameter, etc.
    Not an expert on spear guns.
    I also have some latex tube here, plain replacement for the factory sling since I don't always want a 45 lb. draw when I'm pinging fence posts...

The only drawback I've found is don't use the spear gun tubing on the aluminum tube frames, the draw weight will fold up the tubing.
    The steel rod versions seem to hold the stiffer draw weight fine, even the cheap ones.

I just like slingshots, I just think they are fun! They are great for reasons listed above, plus you just get to have simple fun!
    No down side to this (unless a band/tubing breaks)...

------

WristRocket. I have not heard that term for a long time. We had 3 or 4 of them at 1 time. Evil deadly.

Yup, I'm an old fart...
    Back in the late 60s/early 70s some company hung 'Wrist Rocket' on advertising for the first commercial version of the wrist brace type, and it took off on a life of its own.
    As I remember, that was the first aluminum tubing type before Daisy or Marksmen made them, but I'm not sure.

I wanted one SO BAD around that time, but grandpa made me a regular sling shot out of hardwood and it was a couple years before I got the wrist brace version.
    They are still 'Wrist Rockets' to me ;) the same way .45 Colt will always be 'Long Colt' and starter drives will always be a 'Bendix'...

Last edited:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I went medieval and am using an European style that lines up and down (sidewinder style) v.s. the side to side ala Wrist Rocket. I have a fancy schmancy Barnett Diablo that doesn't shoot as well as this evilBay gizmo that uses flat surgical tubing mounted to the front instead of slid down the forks. Takes a bit to getting used to but very intuitive and not as hard on my bad right shoulder. I hold the pouch close to my release point and push the handle away and then let it fly. My usual ammo is glass marbles from Dollar Tree also. I have 52100 ball bearings but they are kind of a waste of effort. I've killed possums, feral cats, squirrels,etc using glass with ease.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I wouldn't know where to start...

sample_A_800x.jpg

A "WTF?" Moment for me...
    product-image-676797967_800x.jpg

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I wouldn't know what that was if it weren't for the tubes/sling...
    I can't imagine carrying around enough springs, pins, parts to keep that thing running since it's range is about 20 yards and it's as complicated as a semi-auto firearm.

I found these pictures on Whisker Biscuits on common sling shots, which is more or less what I did...
    Notice the black tubing instead of natural latex?

39abecd0c475f67cb8ba5f4fa6a3782c.jpg

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    An "Assault" slingshot?
    Those darts are some wicked stuff, never thought of that.
    Arrows were hard enough to find when you missed, can't imagine how many of those you would loose while practicing...

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I do think it's pretty funny when people start talking about putting sling shots in their bug out bags to use as a survival tool and then you ask them how often they practice with it. Most folks will look at you funny like, "What do you mean I need to practice with it? I'm gonna hone my skills in the woods after I haven't eaten for a week."

They can be a great tool for survival, if you can hit with it at more than 15 feet, which a lot of folks can't.

Top Bottom