Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
    jpr
    Plinker

User Info Menu

My wife came up with the idea to plant in straw bales this year. All starts so far seem to be doing ok. Good thing is with all the rain the water still drains better than if they were in the ground and little to no weeds. We will see how this goes after always planting in the ground.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jpr View Post
    My wife came up with the idea to plant in straw bales this year. All starts so far seem to be doing ok. Good thing is with all the rain the water still drains better than if they were in the ground and little to no weeds. We will see how this goes after always planting in the ground.
    I would think that once the rain stops (and we know it will), the bales would need frequent watering, but you're still ahead of me (and most of us from what I'm reading here)! I just need it to get up to about 250 degrees for one day, then I could probably till...

jpr
    Plinker

User Info Menu

You are correct that it will take more watering. We started small this year with only 12 bales so I have a drip system rigged up when the time comes that it's needed.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

D.Kaufman`s idea regarding mounding might be the ticket.
    I usually do that for zucchini.

User Info Menu

Put everything in but the lettuce last night. Built mounds for everything, which was probably a very good idea as we had heavy T storms come thru last night

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

I mudded my pepper plants in yesterday afternoon, in the brief spell of sunshine. Almost afraid to go check on them after a half inch of rain this morning...
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

We got close to 1.5 inches of rain this morning... no planting for me in the near future.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

I've been eating spinach, romaine, broccoli and strawberries.

Kind of a side note. I'm finally successfully using tomato leathers that have been vacuum packed for a couple years (yeah, I know...)

Always had the leathers in mind to make soup, like Campbells. Since starting to use bone broth as a regular thing, it seems as though the leathers dissolve into frozen bone broth cubes quite nicely in the microwave. Add a glug of heavy cream and it's an excellent cream of tomato soup that is actually better than Campbells on top of knowing exactly what is in it.

If you can stay with it through the tomato harvest season, the dehydrator and vitamix are very useful tools.
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    We got close to 1.5 inches of rain this morning... no planting for me in the near future.
    Rain and a serious cold has kept us out of the garden. I tilled it up 2 weeks ago but torrential rains have been an issue. the maters have been in since I tilled. They are doing well.

Yesterday I put the potato's and the cucumbers in. Today I got 80 onion sets in the ground. Tomorrow we should have the rest in.

Rain barrels and pump are in place and full.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Everything is now in...
    eating spinach, lettuce, broccoli raab, radishes, mustard and turnip greens.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast