Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    Yeah, we had a downpour here just a bit ago. I need a solid week of dry weather. Might be able to make it with 5 days. I've got a Troy-bilt rear tine that pulverizes it pretty well even if a bit damp, but just not when it's downright wet.

I can't imagine a 30" high bed! I like the idea, but do you have to get out a ladder to harvest the tomatoes when they get full sized? Or just climb up in the bed with them? Did you have the topsoil hauled in for that?
    We did some work on the drainage in the yards years back. We piled the excess behind the garage and evened it out. Let it settle. Piled years of grass clippings and leaves on it and tilled it in every year. After about 8 years we decided it was time to have a garden. I tilled in a crap load of additives and brother it is fertile. We cleaned up the sides and put up a stone landscaping wall all around it. I built some steps to get up there. We water from the rain barrels with a pump. The maters are planted along the far side close to the edge The potatoes are in huge pots set up along the south side.

I just did a real measurement and the bed is 24"s high.

We are still figuring all of this out but when we get it right the garden fresh salads are amazing.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Finally put 12 tomato plants in and 6 bell peppers. The mounding idea should work.
    Way to sloppy to get the green bean seeds in the rows.
    Hope all of you up north are safe. Rough weather up there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    We did some work on the drainage in the yards years back. We piled the excess behind the garage and evened it out. Let it settle. Piled years of grass clippings and leaves on it and tilled it in every year. After about 8 years we decided it was time to have a garden. I tilled in a crap load of additives and brother it is fertile. We cleaned up the sides and put up a stone landscaping wall all around it. I built some steps to get up there. We water from the rain barrels with a pump. The maters are planted along the far side close to the edge The potatoes are in huge pots set up along the south side.

I just did a real measurement and the bed is 24"s high.

We are still figuring all of this out but when we get it right the garden fresh salads are amazing.
    Wow, sounds like a really nice setup! Do you still till it, or just turn it over by hand to prep it?

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Wow, sounds like a really nice setup! Do you still till it, or just turn it over by hand to prep it?
    I tilled it this year as I still do the leaves thing. We use a leaf mulcher and bag them up. They sit all winter. I spread them out and till it in. I added more sand for the onions this year. Then I put down a ground cover to keep the weeds at bay.

The rain barrels can go for a good while with no additional rain.

The pots are for potatoes. The maters are on the edge to the right Fence is for the cucumbers and onions fill up the rest.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

Looks great CM!

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Looks great CM!
    Thanks DD. Lots of work. But handing out fresh veggies to the neighbors is worth the effort.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

That's a great setup CM!
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    The rain barrels can go for a good while with no additional rain.
    What kind of plastic are those made from?

-Nate
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

Got most of the rest of the garden in - broccoli, kale (yuk), okra (double yuk), peppers (bleah), sweet potatoes, pumpkins, zucchini, cantaloupe, squash. Potatoes and peas coming along nicely, rhubarb going crazy. Looks like the hard winter killed our oregano.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

“There's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.” - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

Expert

User Info Menu

We also got the garden in last night. All of it.

Hamstrings are NOT happy today....

President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast