Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

MUSHROOMS ARE UP!!!

I found about 30 this morning walking with the dog, mostly whites & grays,
    Doesn't matter because MUSHROOMS ARE UP!
    I'm SO excited!

I might have got more but the deer beat me to the patch when they came up...

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...out-of-options

Funny, the old ways of dealing with weeds still works fine.

Smother them with ground cover, I use bio-degradable paper in particular, since you can till it into the soil or throw it into composter,
    You can root them up, cultivator or good old hoe,
    Or you can mow them, which you battle all season.

Keeping the garden beds up off ground level stops a lot of weeds, and using a net to keep weed seeds out works well, but that takes planning & resources.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...out-of-options

Funny, the old ways of dealing with weeds still works fine.

Smother them with ground cover, I use bio-degradable paper in particular, since you can till it into the soil or throw it into composter,
    You can root them up, cultivator or good old hoe,
    Or you can mow them, which you battle all season.

Keeping the garden beds up off ground level stops a lot of weeds, and using a net to keep weed seeds out works well, but that takes planning & resources.
    Good advice for smaller areas, tough at farm scale. That said, I started growing dandelions in my raised beds last year. Any seeds that make their way in and grow naturally become fodder for my salads. Very healthy form of greens.
    Register immigrants, not firearms.

User Info Menu

Checked the asparagus patch last night and found 6. Hope to see some more over the weekend.
    This looks to be a good season as long as we get enough dry days to till and plant seed rows. Love those bush beans.

User Info Menu

When we canned, we mostly grew bush beans because you get the big harvest in just a couple week period. Now I mostly just grow pole beans since the pretty much bear the whole season once they start. We get to eat all that we want during the season and I save my seeds for the next year.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I declared the asparagus a success with the early nibbling this spring. Introduced my fresh egg source neighbor to the gardener's secret of fresh asparagus eaten raw. Celebrated by planting another 16 asparagus plants. Gotta keep the egg man happy.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

Tried the asparagus last night. Just puts store bought to shame.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by COOPADUP View Post
    Tried the asparagus last night. Just puts store bought to shame.
    I have 4-5 that I'm watching. Seems as if the cool temps have slowed the initial growth spurt down?

I was a bit disappointed to find that a lot of online sources suggest a very limited harvest in the second year. :/
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

Rhubarb and peas are up. No asparagus yet.
    Rights are only as secure as the ability to wield sufficient force to defend them. - J. Neil Schulman

ďThere's nothing wrong with the country a bad recession couldn't fix.Ē - Irving Kristol

"He's not a tame lion..."

1 Samuel 13:19

Psalm 149:6

User Info Menu

As far as asparagus harvest....like anything many factors come into play. First, every spear you harvest is diminishing the plants storage. So harvesting is not helping the health of the plant, so you want to avoid harvesting to the point the roots health is compromised. We don't harvest the first two years typically. Many harvest for one or two weeks the second year. If you tend the ferns well during the summer, you get thick spears come next spring. By the fourth year, we harvest for three to four weeks. But we had some spears nearly an inch thick and the plants were over 10 feet tall. Commercial growers usually harvest until pencil thin spears appear no matter age or length of season. That's pretty hardcore and shows little regard for long term plant health.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast