Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Gardening 2019...

Might as well get this going, eh?

I ran across something I don't hear talked about a lot. Thought I'd see what others think about it.

I had some store bought garlic sprout before I got to use it. On a whim, I poked it in the mud in the chives bed a couple weeks ago.

As I was poking another growing bulb in today, I noticed successful sprouts from the first half dozen or so.

Sorry for the gnarly pic, but it shows the progress.

-----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

Plinker

User Info Menu

Expert

User Info Menu

Smother it in straw and see if it survives the winter...

User Info Menu

Mulch it with some straw about 6 inches deep. Uncover it in the spring. Cut the scapes after the develop and use them for cooking or make pesto with them. They say that cutting off the scapes causes the heads of garlic to grow bigger. Once the greens have pretty much died back, you can dig the garlic and dry it. If you don't dig it, you can just let it go until the next year.

I have a big patch and didn't harvest this year so I will have tons next year. I'm still using what I harvested in 2017. I peel the cloves and put them in jars. Cover with olive oil and freeze. I use it through the garlic press in tons of recipes. It needs to be frozen as garlic can cause botulism if stored at room temperature. Freezing will allow it to be used over a much longer time than refrigerating. I just put a jar in the refrigerator to use and when it is empty, grab another out of the freezer.

I also peel cloves and cover with honey (those do set on the counter) to ferment. The honey is wonderful when used in place of sugar in bread baking or other recipes, and it is also great for colds.
    L.F.F.L.

Follow my son's journey as he travels Europe on this thread.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...adventure.html or on FB https://www.facebook.com/AnthonyBrooksArt/ . He has been posting more on the Art page than his Sketchy Travels page that he started when he left on this trip.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

We'll see if it lives or not. It's up against an old barn with a southern exposure. I have another 20 foot row of garlic that provides small bulbs and lots of greens against the house with the same exposure. It was planted 8-10 years ago and comes up whenever the night temps are below 50 and air temps are above the middle 20's.

I eat a lot of garlic greens, often cut and mixed with chives. They work great as seasoning in everything.
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    We'll see if it lives or not. It's up against an old barn with a southern exposure. I have another 20 foot row of garlic that provides small bulbs and lots of greens against the house with the same exposure. It was planted 8-10 years ago and comes up whenever the night temps are below 50 and air temps are above the middle 20's.

I eat a lot of garlic greens, often cut and mixed with chives. They work great as seasoning in everything.

Garlic is supposed to be planted in the fall. I plant late October to early November. It will be fine over the winter.
    L.F.F.L.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/break-...adventure.html or on FB https://www.facebook.com/AnthonyBrooksArt/ . He has been posting more on the Art page than his Sketchy Travels page that he started when he left on this trip.

User Info Menu

Should be fine over winter.

Cant wait to start garden season. Already have the grow lights ready to start early spring planting in the house.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Anyone know anything about growing rhubarb?
    I've got some seeds, but I don't know what they like in the way of soil, sun, water...
    I'll Google it eventually, but wondered if any Ingoer's have any insight?
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    I've got some seeds, but I don't know what they like in the way of soil, sun, water...

I've never planted rhubarb from seed. It is easy to grow from a start of the roots and just comes back every year.
    L.F.F.L.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mgderf View Post
    I have a decent patch, once planted it comes back.
    I started mine in deep cups with plain planting soil and watered with everything else.
    I don't use a raised bed, it will do OK in clay or sand (what I have as plain dirt).
    It's sensitive to some fertilizer, so go easy.

-------

My gardens are my pride & joy.
    Some raised beds, some straw beds, a lot of ground beds...
    I grow a lot of 'Heritage' produce, the old kinds of stuff before everything got messed with, I've even gone as far as to look up old homestead garden patches to collect seeds/plants.

I start on the zodiac calendar, so I'm planting some starts at the end of Feb and I've spent some real money on hot beds.
    The first produce of the season sells for more, just in case you grow extra and want to make cash money from your garden.
    First, and best looking/'Premium' sell for the most, if you have extra during the season, the food banks will give you a big fat tax credit for your excess that isn't 'Pretty'...

The idea of having to eat one of those GMO tomatoes that all get 'Ripe' at the same time, have skins like shoe leather, the inside has the texture of soggy cardboard, and no taste at all makes me sad...
    So they can pick with a machine, and all are 'Ripe' at the same time so they can clean the vine, but it's not the taste or texture I want.
    (And for the 'Prepper', all those come from ONE genetic line, if a 'Blight' evolves to destroy them, they ALL go, same with corn, wheat, soy, etc. It's happened before, and it will happen again)

It's work, no question! It's also somewhat more expensive than 'Store Bought', but once you get things figured out, not that much more expensive.
    I get exactly what I like, if I want a particular green bean with marble potatoes & pearl onions that's the way I home can that stuff, I get it EXACTLY the way I want it!
    There is nothing like white sweet corn about Jan or Feb when the snow is on and it's colder than a witch's heart outside!
    I can about 7 different kinds of pasta sauce, switching things up, and making fresh pasta on those days weather has you trapped inside, so you make dinner an event to brighten things up...

I intend to die old & fat.
    Old means my smart mouth didn't get me killed, fat means I didn't miss any meals along the way!
    You *Might* live longer if you eat tofu & grass, but I intend to eat well and often!

Last edited by JeepHammer; 12-30-2018 at 11:53.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast