• bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Might as well get this going, eh?

I ran across something I don't hear talked about a lot. Thought I'd see what others think about it.

I had some store bought garlic sprout before I got to use it. On a whim, I poked it in the mud in the chives bed a couple weeks ago.

As I was poking another growing bulb in today, I noticed successful sprouts from the first half dozen or so.

Sorry for the gnarly pic, but it shows the progress.

AgbQHLo.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mulch it with some straw about 6 inches deep. Uncover it in the spring. Cut the scapes after the develop and use them for cooking or make pesto with them. They say that cutting off the scapes causes the heads of garlic to grow bigger. Once the greens have pretty much died back, you can dig the garlic and dry it. If you don't dig it, you can just let it go until the next year.

I have a big patch and didn't harvest this year so I will have tons next year. I'm still using what I harvested in 2017. I peel the cloves and put them in jars. Cover with olive oil and freeze. I use it through the garlic press in tons of recipes. It needs to be frozen as garlic can cause botulism if stored at room temperature. Freezing will allow it to be used over a much longer time than refrigerating. I just put a jar in the refrigerator to use and when it is empty, grab another out of the freezer.

I also peel cloves and cover with honey (those do set on the counter) to ferment. The honey is wonderful when used in place of sugar in bread baking or other recipes, and it is also great for colds.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We'll see if it lives or not. It's up against an old barn with a southern exposure. I have another 20 foot row of garlic that provides small bulbs and lots of greens against the house with the same exposure. It was planted 8-10 years ago and comes up whenever the night temps are below 50 and air temps are above the middle 20's.

I eat a lot of garlic greens, often cut and mixed with chives. They work great as seasoning in everything.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We'll see if it lives or not. It's up against an old barn with a southern exposure. I have another 20 foot row of garlic that provides small bulbs and lots of greens against the house with the same exposure. It was planted 8-10 years ago and comes up whenever the night temps are below 50 and air temps are above the middle 20's.

I eat a lot of garlic greens, often cut and mixed with chives. They work great as seasoning in everything.

Garlic is supposed to be planted in the fall. I plant late October to early November. It will be fine over the winter.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    Should be fine over winter.

Cant wait to start garden season. Already have the grow lights ready to start early spring planting in the house.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Anyone know anything about growing rhubarb?
    I've got some seeds, but I don't know what they like in the way of soil, sun, water...
    I'll Google it eventually, but wondered if any Ingoer's have any insight?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've got some seeds, but I don't know what they like in the way of soil, sun, water...

I've never planted rhubarb from seed. It is easy to grow from a start of the roots and just comes back every year.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana

I have a decent patch, once planted it comes back.
    I started mine in deep cups with plain planting soil and watered with everything else.
    I don't use a raised bed, it will do OK in clay or sand (what I have as plain dirt).
    It's sensitive to some fertilizer, so go easy.

-------

My gardens are my pride & joy.
    Some raised beds, some straw beds, a lot of ground beds...
    I grow a lot of 'Heritage' produce, the old kinds of stuff before everything got messed with, I've even gone as far as to look up old homestead garden patches to collect seeds/plants.

I start on the zodiac calendar, so I'm planting some starts at the end of Feb and I've spent some real money on hot beds.
    The first produce of the season sells for more, just in case you grow extra and want to make cash money from your garden.
    First, and best looking/'Premium' sell for the most, if you have extra during the season, the food banks will give you a big fat tax credit for your excess that isn't 'Pretty'...

The idea of having to eat one of those GMO tomatoes that all get 'Ripe' at the same time, have skins like shoe leather, the inside has the texture of soggy cardboard, and no taste at all makes me sad...
    So they can pick with a machine, and all are 'Ripe' at the same time so they can clean the vine, but it's not the taste or texture I want.
    (And for the 'Prepper', all those come from ONE genetic line, if a 'Blight' evolves to destroy them, they ALL go, same with corn, wheat, soy, etc. It's happened before, and it will happen again)

It's work, no question! It's also somewhat more expensive than 'Store Bought', but once you get things figured out, not that much more expensive.
    I get exactly what I like, if I want a particular green bean with marble potatoes & pearl onions that's the way I home can that stuff, I get it EXACTLY the way I want it!
    There is nothing like white sweet corn about Jan or Feb when the snow is on and it's colder than a witch's heart outside!
    I can about 7 different kinds of pasta sauce, switching things up, and making fresh pasta on those days weather has you trapped inside, so you make dinner an event to brighten things up...

I intend to die old & fat.
    Old means my smart mouth didn't get me killed, fat means I didn't miss any meals along the way!
    You *Might* live longer if you eat tofu & grass, but I intend to eat well and often!

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm not familiar with planting rhubarb from seed. Planted starts from a local greenhouse and Menards though.

Solid morning sun and late afternoon shade works the best. I killed off a few starts burning them up and making them struggle for sun. Numerous plants have grown well against the north and east sides of the pole barn here. Fairly heavy mulch keeps the soil moist and the plants thriving. I give them a few shots of diatomaceous earth during the slug season and spray with Neem oil on occasion as critters munch.

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell

Started mine with seeds in the house, then replanted them outside. They grew back amazing the following year.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Great info. Thanks, but I still have questions.

I have a handful of seeds and could probably buy more.
    I had originally planned to plant these in my home garden because I love rhubarb.
    Now I'm wondering if deer would like it too.
    I now have 50 acres to play with. Only a small few areas would get good morning sun and afternoon shade, but those spots are available.
    One area in particular sets on the top of a hillside that has a very small trickle from a spring oozing out of the top of the hillside. I'm thinking this would be ideal for watering, but I would imagine I might need to fence it off for the first season or two so it can get established.

Does it grow fast, and do deer even like it?

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Great info. Thanks, but I still have questions.

I have a handful of seeds and could probably buy more.
    I had originally planned to plant these in my home garden because I love rhubarb.
    Now I'm wondering if deer would like it too.
    I now have 50 acres to play with. Only a small few areas would get good morning sun and afternoon shade, but those spots are available.
    One area in particular sets on the top of a hillside that has a very small trickle from a spring oozing out of the top of the hillside. I'm thinking this would be ideal for watering, but I would imagine I might need to fence it off for the first season or two so it can get established.

Does it grow fast, and do deer even like it?

I'm pretty sure the rhubarb leaves are toxic to deer. I know they are deadly for goats, horses, etc. to eat. I have had deer in my garden, and have never had them touch the rhubarb plants.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm pretty sure the rhubarb leaves are toxic to deer. I know they are deadly for goats, horses, etc. to eat. I have had deer in my garden, and have never had them touch the rhubarb plants.

Thanks mom.
    It might make sense to plant some there then. It would actually be better than my home garden. I might just get a better crop there.

I was aware that the rhubarb leaves were toxic, at least to humans, but you never know about other animals.
    I've read deer eat poison oak and poison sumac.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I haven't found any dead deer laying around from eating rhubarb. They do eat it on occasion though. Rarely more than one bunch and not beyond the leaves to the stalks.

I think it's likely they have to get a bit down before they get whatever message that they do that it is poisonous to them. Might just be the juveniles that haven't been exposed to it yet? Could be that they've just moved from eating the crap out of my hostas and think that the rhubarb 30 yards away is more of that? :dunno:

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Hoping to put in my very first garden this year. I wanted to work the land up before winter... but life got in the way. So going to till come spring time. Also found some organic fertilizer and I am saving all my rabbit droppings. So I plan to till as soon as the ground thaws and toss on the fertilizer and then plant my seeds I have built up over the years and see what happens! Havent bought meat from a store in over 4 years.... hoping to stop buying most produce also.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    A friend of a friend gave me a few cloves of a hard-neck variety 17 years ago and each year, about the time the leaves fall, I take the best looking heads and split off the cloves for planting. I plant them about 6-inches apart in my raised beds, cover with leaves and I lay green plastic garden fencing over the top to keep the leaves from blowing away.

When the scapes start to un-coil (you'll see), I cut them all off since they say it makes the bulbs bigger. One year I left the scapes on, at Mom45's advice, and I harvested the little bulblets at the end of the season with the garlic. It didn't seem like the bulbs were any smaller when I left the scapes on, but we didn't end up eating any of them so I went back to cutting them off.

This weekend I'm going to dig up some parsnips that I left in one of my beds. I don't think they'll be very big, since I planted them a little late, but...fingers crossed.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Was at Rural King, getting some bullets, and I was surprised to see a big seed rack up with all the garden seeds. I wasn't going to get any, then I saw Poblano peppers, which I always have a hard time finding, so I got some of those, and before I was done I'd bought 11 packets of different stuff.

Almost felt like springtime, buying a bunch of seeds, but I don't see myself planting in the garden this weekend.....

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I tried a little patch of straw potatoes last year, just straw or hay bed rotting on the ground, you simply plug potatoes I to it and they come back out pretty easy.
    The only issue I had was some that were sunburned.

Went to plow the driveway today, the potato bed makes enough heat (composting straw/hay) the snow had melted off, and that patch grew half a dozen deer!
    I guess the warm spot and wind break from the tree line made it an attractive spot last night.

Top Bottom