• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    Seeing a few cars off the road this morning made me realize I'm lacking something in the Expedition to be helpful/to be saved.

Looking online, I learned that I need a recovery strap (with loops) and not a tow strap (with hooks). I also learned that I can put one strap loop through the receiver hitch and secure it with the main pin, and I also learned that I need to get some D-rings/loops in order to use the strap with the front hooks/rings.

So, #1, what are your recommendations on the D-ring/loop for the front rings and for a recovery strap?

#2, Youtube has some helpful videos on how to recover a vehicle, but what says the peanut gallery?

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    Yes, never use a strap with hooks, they become projectiles.

I prefer to use a D Ring through the ball mount (take the ball out) rather than stick the strap into the receiver.

Get D rings rated for lifting not just pulling. They will have pins that screw in to one side of the ring instead of just slip through and get secured by a cotter pin. The screw together design maintains their strength if they get turned around so that the load is trying to pull the D rings legs apart.

On the strap, go heavy. Nobody ever wishes they had a weaker strap. I guess that's true for the rings as well.

Remember it's still just a truck. No matter how great you think it is, it's not a tractor or a tank. Recovery can definatly help people out, but you can also very easily damage one or more vehicles and hurt people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Expeditions were not built for recovery. Helping a stuck motorist from a snow drift is one thing but snatching someone from a ditch is another thing altogether especially if you have little/no experience at this. Yes it is good to have some gear on board but pick your battles wisely. You could find yourself liable for some damages you did not intend to inflict.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Seeing a few cars off the road this morning made me realize I'm lacking something in the Expedition to be helpful/to be saved.

Looking online, I learned that I need a recovery strap (with loops) and not a tow strap (with hooks). I also learned that I can put one strap loop through the receiver hitch and secure it with the main pin, and I also learned that I need to get some D-rings/loops in order to use the strap with the front hooks/rings.

So, #1, what are your recommendations on the D-ring/loop for the front rings and for a recovery strap?

#2, Youtube has some helpful videos on how to recover a vehicle, but what says the peanut gallery?

Hooks with a mouse attached ( latch ) are fine, they don't become projectiles...

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    When it comes to recovery I tend to only pull friends and family out of a ditch or snow bank. I don't want someone telling me I jacked up their vehicle while trying to help. I carry a 3" X 30' loop tow strap with 2 D-rings in the cab. I also have a D-ring 2" receiver I built. I have a FF-250 with a diesel so I try at all cost to pull someone out with the front tow hooks on my truck since all my weight is in the front. -Jason

DRAIN SURGEON

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Mooresvile
    Going to work one morning a few years ago years ago I offered to pull a small suv out of a snow bank while police stopped traffic. 8000 lb winch 3/4 ton truck couldn't do it. Gave up and went to work. On the way home I looked and seen it had been on top of a gas meter. Lesson learned.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Stretch straps are awesome provided you have strong enough attach points and the other vehicle does also. I carry them as part of my recovery package but would not use them on a vehicle without solid pick points. That eliminates 90 percent of the vehicles out there. Ford full size trucks have awesome front closed rings and they would make great pick points as would your rear hitch. People have been using steel shackles for recovery since they started getting stuck in mud. I have been using them for 40 years. The trick is to use a large enough one to be up for the loads it will see. Its popular to use all manor of alternatives these days fueled by what I believe to be marketing by the companies selling the alternatives and the general hysteria of being afraid of everything by younger generations who have grown up playing video games.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Nothing more to add than "dont be this jackwagon." This dude in the black truck has more money than brains, thats for sure.

[video=youtube;CW4w5FJQ7c0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW4w5FJQ7c0[/video]

EDIT: He is either a moron, or a psychopath. I cant decide.

Just re watched this version and this video doesnt show the aftermath of the original I saw, as there are about 20 seconds more to this at the end. The white truck had 4" of mud and grass covering the front of his truck and windshield. they were scooping it off by the handfuls.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When it comes to recovery I tend to only pull friends and family out of a ditch or snow bank. I don't want someone telling me I jacked up their vehicle while trying to help. I carry a 3" X 30' loop tow strap with 2 D-rings in the cab. I also have a D-ring 2" receiver I built. I have a FF-250 with a diesel so I try at all cost to pull someone out with the front tow hooks on my truck since all my weight is in the front. -Jason

^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^

We have on occasion assisted someone just stuck but not so much anymore. Many folks are just not appreciative.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    When I had a Jeep, I would never attempt anything unless they had a factory recovery point or hitch. Those are attached directly to the frame. Never use an axle. I never did anything for anyone but friends. When I did and they didn’t have a good recovery point, they hooked it up.

I once stopped for a non friend but they had no recovery point that I could easily hook into. I said I didn’t feel comfortable trying and left.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When I had a Jeep, I would never attempt anything unless they had a factory recovery point or hitch. Those are attached directly to the frame. Never use an axle. I never did anything for anyone but friends. When I did and they didn’t have a good recovery point, they hooked it up.

Yeah that is not always a good thing either...:):

We used to snatch anyone that was stuck with this truck. It was a beast. Had a guy do his own hook, told him to find the crossmember under the engine and wrap it. He decided to hook the core support. Big Oldsmobile nose down in a snow filled ditch. 1st snatch pulled it loose.....2nd snatch got the nose up.....re-positioned and the 3rd snatch pulled the front nearly off the car. Regardless, I was responsible. I was insured to push snow with it but not to recover. There is a difference.

t9437gf.jpg

GLFef6c.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom