Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

How to recover a vehicle

Seeing a few cars off the road this morning made me realize I'm lacking something in the Expedition to be helpful/to be saved.

Looking online, I learned that I need a recovery strap (with loops) and not a tow strap (with hooks). I also learned that I can put one strap loop through the receiver hitch and secure it with the main pin, and I also learned that I need to get some D-rings/loops in order to use the strap with the front hooks/rings.

So, #1, what are your recommendations on the D-ring/loop for the front rings and for a recovery strap?

#2, Youtube has some helpful videos on how to recover a vehicle, but what says the peanut gallery?

Plinker

User Info Menu

An electric winch mounted on your bumper/frame will get you out of most situations.

User Info Menu

Yes, never use a strap with hooks, they become projectiles.

I prefer to use a D Ring through the ball mount (take the ball out) rather than stick the strap into the receiver.

Get D rings rated for lifting not just pulling. They will have pins that screw in to one side of the ring instead of just slip through and get secured by a cotter pin. The screw together design maintains their strength if they get turned around so that the load is trying to pull the D rings legs apart.

On the strap, go heavy. Nobody ever wishes they had a weaker strap. I guess that's true for the rings as well.

Remember it's still just a truck. No matter how great you think it is, it's not a tractor or a tank. Recovery can definatly help people out, but you can also very easily damage one or more vehicles and hurt people.
    "IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM"

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Expeditions were not built for recovery. Helping a stuck motorist from a snow drift is one thing but snatching someone from a ditch is another thing altogether especially if you have little/no experience at this. Yes it is good to have some gear on board but pick your battles wisely. You could find yourself liable for some damages you did not intend to inflict.

User Info Menu

Also need a recovery license. Pulling someone out of the ditch can get you a ticket.
    1911s are like Glocks except they are for grown-ups.

User Info Menu

https://odditymall.com/bush-winch

Believe it or not this system works well to get a vehicle back into operation.
    U.S. Army retired

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosierkav View Post
    Seeing a few cars off the road this morning made me realize I'm lacking something in the Expedition to be helpful/to be saved.

Looking online, I learned that I need a recovery strap (with loops) and not a tow strap (with hooks). I also learned that I can put one strap loop through the receiver hitch and secure it with the main pin, and I also learned that I need to get some D-rings/loops in order to use the strap with the front hooks/rings.

So, #1, what are your recommendations on the D-ring/loop for the front rings and for a recovery strap?

#2, Youtube has some helpful videos on how to recover a vehicle, but what says the peanut gallery?
    Hooks with a mouse attached ( latch ) are fine, they don't become projectiles...
    "Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

User Info Menu

When it comes to recovery I tend to only pull friends and family out of a ditch or snow bank. I don't want someone telling me I jacked up their vehicle while trying to help. I carry a 3" X 30' loop tow strap with 2 D-rings in the cab. I also have a D-ring 2" receiver I built. I have a FF-250 with a diesel so I try at all cost to pull someone out with the front tow hooks on my truck since all my weight is in the front. -Jason

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Last edited by Butch627; 1 Week Ago at 15:11.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Going to work one morning a few years ago years ago I offered to pull a small suv out of a snow bank while police stopped traffic. 8000 lb winch 3/4 ton truck couldn't do it. Gave up and went to work. On the way home I looked and seen it had been on top of a gas meter. Lesson learned.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast