• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    It is probable that people are underestimating the problems and pain that will be associated with loss of professional dental care. Some thought should be given to tools and skills necessary. Family members are missing the old days of silver fillings - they lasted a long time at least partly because silver is oligodynamic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligodynamic_effect

New fillings don't have that and will likely not last as long. Not having fillings myself at this point, I can only relate what I have been told. Maybe SmileDocHill will chime in.

This substance shows promise for relief in dental emergencies, and is made of items that have a long shelf life:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_oxide_eugenol

Mixed with a little silver compound this could be helpful for longer-term treatment.

Ideas welcome.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I'm going the other way,
    I consider anything I spend on my teeth one of the best investments I've ever done.

Twice a year for cleaning & coating, no rot since I started it.

Had to have ALL my silver fillings removed because rot started under them, some capped, some filled with the new UV Epoxy, no failures.

I go with gold crowns simply because they don't break.

I use my teeth every day, many times a day in fact, so I don't mind spending money on them.

Local dentist for the small stuff, IUPUI dental school for the big stuff.
    Students use top quality materials but don't do the best work on the little stuff, which is why I use the local guy that has experience.
    The advanced oral surgery (root canals & such) are usually guys with plenty of experience getting further education on the latest equipment/techniques, so they do a good job (at reduced rates).

I learned the hard way even though my VA dentistry is free, it's a LONG WAY from top notch work... So I pay for anything other than cleanings...
    The silver fillings I had were replaced by military dentists, and all failed, for me silver fillings don't have a very good track record.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been told for years that our local dentist is expensive. On top of that, I have a body chemistry plaque build up issue that results in cleanings every three months. My cost for cleaning alone is a dollar a day for the year.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Teeth are like eyesight, I don't see an issue with maintaining either.

In your situation, I believe I would look into equipment & training to do it myself. Cleaning, even with a powered tool is something you can do yourself.
    I use the dental picks with flosser built in, and I do it while driving or sitting in front of the computer.
    My cleanings weren't nearly as difficult once I made it a habit.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Keeping a regular schedule of maintenance (professionally cleaning, regular brushing, regular flossing) can save a lot of trouble down the road. During your exams, you often learn about situations that may become problems down the road. Something like a small crack in a tooth that is stable for now, but if you let it go too long you end up with a root canal and a crown is a prime example (ask me how I know).

In a post-apocalyptic world, SmileDocHill and his colleagues are going to be well protected and well paid by their community because when you need them, really nothing else will do.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My son and I were getting a few prepping items at one of the Indy 1500 shows, and I bought a pair of tooth-pulling forcep/pliars for my SHTF kit.

My son laughed and said "You do know what that means, don't you?"

I said "No, what does it mean?"

He said "If the SHTF...........you're a dentist"

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've been told for years that our local dentist is expensive. On top of that, I have a body chemistry plaque build up issue that results in cleanings every three months. My cost for cleaning alone is a dollar a day for the year.

Just curious. Have you considered a 2nd opinion? Mrs Hoosierdoc is a dentist and now practices on the south side of Indy. Might be worth a visit for her opinion.

I only ask because I have awful teeth, and found a close by dentist I thought was good. Then I noticed my bad teeth got worse, my gum disease got worse,(4s and 5s on the recession measurements instead of 2s and 3s) all about the same time we switched. And suddenly we were paying out of pocket weird, seemingly random amounts at each visit. Along with additional payments later via mail after insurance settled up. Nothing huge, just more than normal. When I took the concerns to HR, and they looped in our insurance rep, they had concerns. LOTS of charges, then backing out charges, then new updated charges as journal entries instead of straightforward claims. I recall the insurance rep's comment was "I cant prove they are doing anything wrong/illegal/fraudulent, but I have never in my career seen such shoddy insurance submission practices. Either they have someone running their books that is totally clueless, or they are up to no good. The number of reversals and chargebacks are like nothing I have ever seen in my career."

I switched to my current dentist (Dr Doug Harty in Greenwood) and suddenly I'm paying a fraction of what I was with nothing paid at TOS, and all bills come due after the fact in a timely manner with reasonable payments ($20 here, $50 there), and magically my measurements are back to 2s and 3s with no change in dental hygene. Huh. What an amazing coincidence! (all with the exact same insurance)

The moral of my story is if something seems odd, get a second opinion. It may not bee what you think.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just curious. Have you considered a 2nd opinion? Mrs Hoosierdoc is a dentist and now practices on the south side of Indy. Might be worth a visit for her opinion.

I only ask because I have awful teeth, and found a close by dentist I thought was good. Then I noticed my bad teeth got worse, my gum disease got worse,(4s and 5s on the recession measurements instead of 2s and 3s) all about the same time we switched. And suddenly we were paying out of pocket weird, seemingly random amounts at each visit. Along with additional payments later via mail after insurance settled up. Nothing huge, just more than normal. When I took the concerns to HR, and they looped in our insurance rep, they had concerns. LOTS of charges, then backing out charges, then new updated charges as journal entries instead of straightforward claims. I recall the insurance rep's comment was "I cant prove they are doing anything wrong/illegal/fraudulent, but I have never in my career seen such shoddy insurance submission practices. Either they have someone running their books that is totally clueless, or they are up to no good. The number of reversals and chargebacks are like nothing I have ever seen in my career."

I switched to my current dentist (Dr Doug Harty in Greenwood) and suddenly I'm paying a fraction of what I was with nothing paid at TOS, and all bills come due after the fact in a timely manner with reasonable payments ($20 here, $50 there), and magically my measurements are back to 2s and 3s with no change in dental hygene. Huh. What an amazing coincidence! (all with the exact same insurance)

The moral of my story is if something seems odd, get a second opinion. It may not bee what you think.

Thank you for the advice! :ingo:

Yes, I'm considering changing dentists after nearly 20 years. I'm looking at costs combined with a less than pleasant experience from my current hygienist. The wicked woman keeps me on the edge of pain for the entire visit, then adds the insult of trying to upsell me into Dr exams and xrays. Yesterday was the third visit with her running the tools.

What is everyone else paying for cleaning?

I'm getting "discounts" for old age and paying cash that somehow keep me under a hundred bucks a visit. I don't really know what the age discount is with my dentist, just keep my mouth shut and take it.

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I picked the top end local dentist, cleaning, sealing is just under $100 twice a year.

Your know there are plaque control pastes that are *Supposed* to do better than others.
    I'm not the professional, but you might find someone that is...

This sounds stupid, but it seems to work, I use baking soda mixed with a pinch of salt when I travel (which is a lot), it seems to work really well and by using it part time my dentist doesn't see any issues.
    I'm thinking just a little more abrasive, no micro-beads, my guns feel a lot better than when I use regular paste.

What happened to the old fashioned tooth powders? Anyone know what where in them?

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Long day today, tagging so I don't forget to read this later.
    I will say, having been a dentist for almost 25 years, it is still impressive to see how a full on toothache will shut a person down. Ive only treated a couple people with one that wasn't adamantly expressing how it was the most pain they have ever experienced. Military officer of some kind once told me "you get these Marines, they'll get shot in the arm and beg 'c'mon coach, I can shoot withh my other arm, keep me in this' but you get someone with a toothache and it's 'take me out coach, I can't think, I can't function, I'm going to get someone hurt'"
    3-4 times a year someone comes in with an emergency toothache thats slowly gotten worse over days to a week.
    After getting them numb they can barely stay awake. It's the first time in days they've not had the constant pain and their body suddenly realizes it hasn't slept in days and crashes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...This sounds stupid, but it seems to work, I use baking soda mixed with a pinch of salt when I travel (which is a lot), it seems to work really well and by using it part time my dentist doesn't see any issues.
    I'm thinking just a little more abrasive, no micro-beads, my guns feel a lot better than when I use regular paste...

Thanks! I'm gonna try this a couple times a week or so. I found a few other references to this doing online research today.

I need to develop regular good oral habits to combat this troublesome plaque issue of mine. While I'm whining about the money and uncomfortable part of things, there is the real issue as the OP posted.

In the event of some sort of SHTF, the absence of convenient dentistry shouldn't mean the beginning of the end of staying healthy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you for the advice! :ingo:

Yes, I'm considering changing dentists after nearly 20 years. I'm looking at costs combined with a less than pleasant experience from my current hygienist. The wicked woman keeps me on the edge of pain for the entire visit, then adds the insult of trying to upsell me into Dr exams and xrays. Yesterday was the third visit with her running the tools.

What is everyone else paying for cleaning?

I'm getting "discounts" for old age and paying cash that somehow keep me under a hundred bucks a visit. I don't really know what the age discount is with my dentist, just keep my mouth shut and take it.

I don't remember! I had my last visit while I still had insurance in October and go a cleaning and everything else I could get before I lost my insurance. I'll let you know how much it costs if I don't have insurance by April!

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    One of the first things I look at when meeting someone is there teeth.

Heck I brush my dogs teeth weekly. They seem to like it. Must be the minty fresh tooth paste.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't remember! I had my last visit while I still had insurance in October and go a cleaning and everything else I could get before I lost my insurance. I'll let you know how much it costs if I don't have insurance by April!

I haven't had dental insurance for well over ten years. Even when I did have employer subsidized dental, there was argument about whether it was worth it if cleanings and maintenance were the only concerns. A lot of the higher ups I worked with saved money by paying out of pocket for cleanings vs the weekly paycheck insurance payment.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I haven't had dental insurance for well over ten years. Even when I did have employer subsidized dental, there was argument about whether it was worth it if cleanings and maintenance were the only concerns. A lot of the higher ups I worked with saved money by paying out of pocket for cleanings vs the weekly paycheck insurance payment.

I think some newer plans are improving, but it used to be that private dental insurance policies were mostly worthless. The premiums exceeded what you'd pay out of pocket for the cleanings, etc. and there was always an annual limit on major things that would only pay for a small part of a root canal, then you're stuck with the rest of that bill plus the crown. My first experience with actually having dental insurance was with my last job. My annual contribution was less than for one cleaning (whatever that amount was at the time), so it was worth it. I did not continue it with my COBRA extension because it suddenly got expensive again.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Wow!
    I just read an article about the history of dentists & dental practices down through the centuries.

I have a couple 10lb. bottles of nitrous oxide here and I think a couple more wouldn't hurt a thing!
    It seems up until the US civil war there wasn't much in the way of anesthesia...
    I can see why pulling teeth was preferable to a root canal!

When a tooth root abscessed, apparently it was common to cut the gum back and use a carpenter chisel to remove root/bone.
    Doesn't sound fun to me!
    I don't want to be awake for that!

No, I believe I'll keep going to the dentist, couple hundred bucks a year doesn't seem like that much all the sudden! ...

Top Bottom