$15 battery backed up light bulb... go buy one.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I picked up a Feit battery back up light bulb ($15 Menards / Home Depot) for the basement room we use as a storm shelter.

IT WORKS, BUY IT.

When the power is on it is 600lm and when it senses the power is out it switches to battery and is 300-400lm for 3.5 hours. It even works if the switch was off (just turn switch on to light it). This is perfect for mid-west storms where the power may go out during or prior to a tornado warning.

It requires, 1) 30min usage per week to maintain charge 2) Lack of AC voltage AND continuity in the circuit to trigger back up lighting so it will not work properly in an unplugged table lamp or shop light (although it can be made to) but will work when the power goes out.

https://www.feit.com/products/bulbs/intellibulb-battery-backup-600-lumen-2700k-led-a19/

3cXFkqF.jpg

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hmmm... that's interesting. I'll probably take a closer look at that.

Thanks!

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Cool, looking into it as well. I've done plenty of em lighting but nothing with it's own battery supply.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I wouldn't trust them. That company made compact fluorescents that were the most breakdown-prone of any brand we ever owned. They were warranted but it was impossible to get them to honor their warranty.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have had may FEIT light bulks die premature deaths before I swore off the brand.

I'll consider the concept, but not buying anymore chinese Feit bulbs.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have had may FEIT light bulks die premature deaths before I swore off the brand.

I'll consider the concept, but not buying anymore chinese Feit bulbs.
    THIS

Feit & Smart Electric are two brands I steer clear of at Menards.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    The whole idea seems like a solution in search of a problem. Don't most people already have battery operated flash lights?

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    From the manufacture's page
    The bulb may not work if used with other bulbs on the same light switch. Bulb is also not suitable for totally enclosed fixtures, ceiling fans or use with photocells, simmers, motion sensors or timers.

This is where I'd run into an issue. All the lighting fixtures in my home are enclosed and have 2 or 3 bulbs in them depending on the room.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    We have the older version of these. They save my butt when the power goes out. These work good enough to get out the lanterns and candles. I have this condition called night blindness. It's not alot of fun (unless you're my wife watching me try to feel my way down walls) when the power goes out. Our last house the buyers even put them in the purchase agreement. Wife was PO'd they wanted them. I explained 20 bucks is not worth the pissing match.

https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Re...ocphy=9016110&hvtargid=pla-318184365816&psc=1

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    We lost power for several hours last night, the bulb lasted it's full advertised time and was still going strong when the power came back.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    From the manufacture's page

The bulb may not work if used with other bulbs on the same light switch. Bulb is also not suitable for totally enclosed fixtures, ceiling fans or use with photocells, simmers, motion sensors or timers.
    This is where I'd run into an issue. All the lighting fixtures in my home are enclosed and have 2 or 3 bulbs in them depending on the room.
    Darn it. I really want one to use while I simmer my chicken stock.

dieselmudder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    United States
    It is kind of a nice concept, they come on automatically when power goes out. Especially if for some reason I was away, and the kids were home alone. Then again, their cell phones never leave their hand. And those have flashlights. Still, some people may be discomforted by not having normal lights. I may look into a couple.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom