• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I don't know exactly where to post this or what to name it...

Another thread on spare rifle parts got me thinking about things people in the field come up with that the average guy wouldn't come up with.

In the other thread I mentioned I kept a magnet with my spare parts/tools for keeping track of small parts, and finding those small parts when they escape.
    I also learned to keep a glasses repair kit with screws/nuts and a drill for the size bolts/nuts.
    Eyeglasses take a beating in the field, and a guy with small tools/spare parts can easily keep some screws/nuts in eyeglass size.

A $1 neck cord for glasses, particularly sun glasses so you can drop them when going from light to dark.
    This keeps you from being distracted, just drop the sunglasses on the cord and you are back in action.
    Prescription glasses NEED a $3 'Gomer' headband strap no matter what, make a big move and your glasses slip you are distracted, blind, and therefore screwed.
    It's not a fashion statement like an 'Operator Beard' is, it's necessary gear if your frames don't have 'Ear Hooks'.

I used to get plastic lenses with plastic frames, then super glue the lenses in. That kept heat/twist from dislodging lenses.
    This is particularly effective on the "2 for 1" sales since the plastic frames/lenses are cheap and an extra pair never hurts!

Marines march/run A LOT, we often use vasoline to keep chafing/galling to a minimum, it also works on bug bites, burns & it helps when making fires. One of those "1,000 & 1 Uses" things.
    Another use is scuba/snorkel masks, eye glasses, even optic lenses. A thin layer of vasoline keeps them from fogging.

Getting something in your eye...
    Magnetic, use your rare earth magnet to lift it without contact.
    Non-magnetic, vasoline 'curl' on a Q-tip makes for minimal pressure/contact when lifting what's on the eyeball/eye lid.
    Vasoline stings a little, but it lifts foreign objects like crazy.

Anyone have any other 'Field Expedient' things they know?

sngehl01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2018
    Elizabeth
    I did not know that about vaseline and getting things out of your eye. WIll definitely hold on to that one. The rare earth mag trick isa ncie one too.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Super glue outgasses and ruins many plastics. I used it on a pair of sunglasses and ruined the lenses (both) and the frame. Used it on the dividers in a snap top tackle box and ruined the whole box and the jewelry the wife stored inside of it. Lesson learned for me.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    For 'Pioneer' tools, buy 'Unbreakable' handles & work gloves.

I would venture to say that almost zero of us swing an axe or sledgehammer all day, or push a shovel.
    With that being the case, you WILL miss what our are swinging at, or pry too had on the handles of your 'Pioneer' tools, so 'Unbreakable' makes sense even though they are uncomfortable to me...
    Hammers/hatchets often fall I to this category.

It takes very specific wood, dried 2 or 3 years, a draw knife and a specific skill set to make handles, it's one of those 'Lost' skills no one thinks about.
    Synthetic handles keep you working during the critical early days of an emergency or event.

The old saying about axe handles is true, "Once you break one, buy two", since you will probably break another trying to get used to the new handle.
    I thought this was silly when I first heard it, but after finding out just an inch difference, or grip difference will make you break another handle, I believe it.
    Sledge hammer handles are the same, and I have issues with splitting maul handles in the same way.

My favorite framing hammer handle finally gave up, and I chewed the new handle up while trying to get used to it...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Super glue outgasses and ruins many plastics. I used it on a pair of sunglasses and ruined the lenses (both) and the frame. Used it on the dividers in a snap top tackle box and ruined the whole box and the jewelry the wife stored inside of it. Lesson learned for me.

Oooooo I bet you were in "Big" trouble yes.....:):

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For 'Pioneer' tools, buy 'Unbreakable' handles & work gloves.

I would venture to say that almost zero of us swing an axe or sledgehammer all day, or push a shovel.
    With that being the case, you WILL miss what our are swinging at, or pry too had on the handles of your 'Pioneer' tools, so 'Unbreakable' makes sense even though they are uncomfortable to me...
    Hammers/hatchets often fall I to this category.

It takes very specific wood, dried 2 or 3 years, a draw knife and a specific skill set to make handles, it's one of those 'Lost' skills no one thinks about.
    Synthetic handles keep you working during the critical early days of an emergency or event.

The old saying about axe handles is true, "Once you break one, buy two", since you will probably break another trying to get used to the new handle.
    I thought this was silly when I first heard it, but after finding out just an inch difference, or grip difference will make you break another handle, I believe it.
    Sledge hammer handles are the same, and I have issues with splitting maul handles in the same way.

My favorite framing hammer handle finally gave up, and I chewed the new handle up while trying to get used to it...

Maybe some are better than others?

Years ago, when the yellow unbreakable handles first become a thing, I tried one on my trusty 6# sledge-eye maul. I couldn't use it due to the vibration it emitted to my hands. Took it off, went back to hickory and all was good. :dunno:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    JeepHammer - I have truly enjoyed reading all your posts on information, trials (screw ups & down right WOWs- that worked!!!!) KEEP IT UP!!!! from a northern Indiana JeepHammer fan!!!

:rockwoot::bowdown::yesway::ingo::patriot::bacondance::bacondance::bacondance: everything taste better with bacon....

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Maybe some are better than others?

Years ago, when the yellow unbreakable handles first become a thing, I tried one on my trusty 6# sledge-eye maul. I couldn't use it due to the vibration it emitted to my hands. Took it off, went back to hickory and all was good. :dunno:

The handles that look like this are good to go.
    sledge-hammer-fiberglass-handle-hammer-fiber-1305382.jpg

These suck.
    Z-oNw_ncpEx_.JPG

I personally dont care for anything that has a hickory or fiberglass motor. Too many years of using them.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A) Fiberglass handled implements are great up until you ding the fiberglass and introduce a weak spot - then things go down hill quick, fast, and in a hurry.

B) Petroleum jelly onto an implement and then touching your eye basically ensures two non-sterile "things" that'll be touching your eye. Your eye, of course, is warm and moist - especially under eyelids. Know what types of environments are wonderful breeding grounds for bacteria? Warm and moist ones. So - be very very careful putting stuff-not-meant-for-eyes in/on your eyes.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    OK, this shouldn't be needed...

Vasoline on an eyeball isn't optimal, but it's a field fix for something worse, like sand or splinter in your eye.
    If you advocate leaving a foreign body against the eye/eyelid in an emergency situation you aren't following the conversation.
    You also missed the other uses for the vasoline.

If you missed 'Pioneer' tools, manual shovels, picks, axes, sledgehammers, etc. that means you are out of range of chain/power saws, etc.
    This means manual tools to get anything done, and a broken tool means you are using teeth & fingernails...
    Your backup/bulletproof gear needs to be 'Bullet Proof'.
    Anyone that says they have never broken a handle has not used one very much, or is lying.
    A lot of work loosens/deforms handles (you would have to have done a lot of work on them to know this) so wood handles are a long way from 'Permanent'.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Those with addictions...
    I drink coffee all day long, and I'm a grouchy slug when I don't get my high octane coffee.

Knowing I'm addicted to caffeine, I keep a good stash of caffeine pills in my gear.
    They suck rocks compared to coffee, but they will keep me going when I need them to.

Anyone that's addicted to sugar drinks should probably have sugar based candy in their gear.
    Tobacco addicted should probably have a stash in their bags/gear. Nicotine patches might help as would 'Smokeless' tobacco so smoking doesn't give you away or distract you from tasks at hand.

This is in addition to any daily medications someone needs... People sometimes think about meds, but rarely think about nicotine, caffeine, sugar, spare eye glasses, etc.
    With eye glasses, your old prescription is better than NO PRESCRIPTION, so last set of glasses for backup if you don't want to buy an extra set every time...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom